Which trades won a cup?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hard to argue against the Rangers acquiring Matteau and Noonan from Chicago for Amonte in 1994, or even MacTavish and Anderson.

Obviously we all know what Matteau did (2 OT winners in the '94 ECF, not just Game 7). Anderson had a game winner in the Finals. MacT and Noonan were solid and build for the playoffs. Of course, one might counter argue that the ECF and Finals were closer than they needed to be, and having Amonte and Gartner would have made life easier on us, but it's hard to argue with results and the role the acquired talent played in garnering them.

I always thought in 94 the Rangers were taking an incredible chance making so many trades at the deadline while having the NHL"s best team. To this day I've never seen another top team do that. But it did work.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I did it because he was the principal piece in that package, and there were many moving parts going back the other way, whereas Eric Lindros' name is incredibly easy to remember. I figured people would be smart enough to figure out the fact that the pieces going the other way were instrumental for the Avalanche. Instead, you're here arguing that I'm being contrarian.

"For the Avs, the trade that sent Lindros to the Flyers" would have been so easy... :D

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Of course not. But how many times does the team trading an elite player get a prospect back that is that good?
Also, they won the cup, so who cares if it was protected. There's a big jump between top 5 protected and winning the cup.

Well before the Johnston firing/Daley trade it wasn't looking like the Penguins making the playoffs were an automatic. If they hadn't, then the deal woud have looked way worse.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
most of the.guys boston picked up in 2011. They basically went around the league and picked up guys who played well above career average against the Habs. Even with them it went to game 7 OT. They would have bounced first round without those guys.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
A good number of these trades/pickups did not lead to a Cup immediately.

One that did is Frank Mahovlich to the Canadiens in January 1971.

14 G + 13 A in 20 games.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carter to LA
Handzus to CHI (and he should have retired immediately after catching lightning in a bottle for 6 weeks)
Gaborik to LA
Vermette to CHI

Hossa traded to pittsburgh. His frustrating experiences with two second rate franchises led him to the eras most dominant team and as many cups as crosby and zetterberg combined.

Somewhat indirect, but I'd agree with this wholeheartedly if not for the pointless and inaccurate '2nd rate franchises crack.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Carter to LA
Handzus to CHI (and he should have retired immediately after catching lightning in a bottle for 6 weeks)
Gaborik to LA
Vermette to CHI

Somewhat indirect, but I'd agree with this wholeheartedly if not for the pointless and inaccurate '2nd rate franchises crack.

Tongue in cheek. Obviously theyve won cups and been good as well

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Strongly believe the Canes don't win the Cup if they didn't trade for Recchi and Weight that year. Aside from needing some playoff grit, they were basically a two-line team after the bad Erik Cole injury.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley for Brett Hull.

Talk about sacrificing your future, but the Flames did win the cup. I would trade a player of that caliber for one cup too.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Roy to Colorado by a mile.

Turns Quebec/Colorado from a good to potentially great team to serious Cup contender and eventual winner in '96.

In addition, helps fuel now one of the famous(yet short-lived) rivalries in hockey between Detroit and Colorado. Especially seeing as what led to him being traded was getting lit up by Detroit in Montreal.

Which also brings to question what if cooler head prevailed and this trade doesn't happen. What happens to that '96 Detroit team. Do they continue to struggle after escaping St. Louis or do they end up winning it all as a greatest team in hockey history?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I meant it exactly the way I posted it. Eric Lindros' trade was instrumental in getting the pieces back to the Quebec nordiques for their cup run as the Avs in 96.

hqdefault.jpg

Now just throw some "errs" and "arrrs" in there.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Peverley and Valabik for Wheeler and Stuart

Guerin to Pittsburgh
Kunitz to Pittsburgh
Kessel to Pittsburgh
Bonino to Pittsburgh
Hagelin to Pittsburgh

Gaborik to Los Angeles

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
1. Messier to NYR
2. Parent to PHI
3. Roy to COL
4. Nieuwendyk to DAL
5. Pronger to ANA
6. Forsberg to COL
7. Dryden to MTL
8. Kessel to PIT
9. Carter to LA
10. Gaborik to LA

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Not a cup, but despite the crap Kevin Lowe got, I thought his 2006' trade deadline was overall the best in NHL history. Guy made 2-3 big moves that paid off so huge for a team that wasn't even in a secured playoff spot and came within 1 win of a cup.

My favorite playoff series ever. Pronger was other wordly thoughout that run.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Daley for Scuderi. The Pens wouldn't have dominated teams like they did if Scuds was trying to skate around the ice.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Patrick Roy to the Avs was as decisive as Cup winning trades get.

Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski in March 1991. Gave the Pens the elite two-way center and nasty top 4 defenseman they still needed. And I think the Whalers never recovered from it, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: