Which trades won a cup?

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
They weren't in the same season they won the cup, but the 2010 Hawks team had a number of important pieces acquired in lopsided trades for Chicago that gave them incredible forward depth:

Ellison, 3rd -> Sharp
Bochenski -> Versteeg
T. Ruuttu -> Ladd

Then the Cam Barker for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy trade during the 2010 season did not help directly in the Cup win that year as Johnsson suffered career ending concussion after about 10 games and Leddy did not debut until the next season. But Leddy did contribute in 2013 Cup run, and the trade did rid us of Cam Barker in 2010, which was addition by subtraction.

Also picked up Nick Boynton for scraps at deadline as an 8th defenseman, which proved critical after Kim Johnsson and Jordan Hendry got injured. Boynton ended up partnered with Duncan Keith for some of the games.

In 2013, Handzus was critical as a defensive center and net front presence for Kane to play with. Sort of Anisimov light. Just wish he would have retired after the season.

2015, Vermette provided good depth and made them a 4 line team again. Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen was a heck of a third line once it was assembled late in the playoffs that year.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They weren't in the same season they won the cup, but the 2010 Hawks team had a number of important pieces acquired in lopsided trades for Chicago that gave them incredible forward depth:

Ellison, 3rd -> Sharp
Bochenski -> Versteeg
T. Ruuttu -> Ladd

Then the Cam Barker for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy trade during the 2010 season did not help directly in the Cup win that year as Johnsson suffered career ending concussion after about 10 games and Leddy did not debut until the next season. But Leddy did contribute in 2013 Cup run, and the trade did rid us of Cam Barker in 2010, which was addition by subtraction.

Also picked up Nick Boynton for scraps at deadline as an 8th defenseman, which proved critical after Kim Johnsson and Jordan Hendry got injured. Boynton ended up partnered with Duncan Keith for some of the games.

In 2013, Handzus was critical as a defensive center and net front presence for Kane to play with. Sort of Anisimov light. Just wish he would have retired after the season.

2015, Vermette provided good depth and made them a 4 line team again. Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen was a heck of a third line once it was assembled late in the playoffs that year.

Wasn't the Sharp trade like 4 years before that though? I don't think that can count.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm going to step in and attempt to speak for the Penguins fans here (so correct me if you disagree), but...

I remember when Whitney was traded for Chris Kunitz and how that team did so well.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Penguins Acquire Forwards Phil Kessel and Tyler Biggs, and Defenseman Tim Erixon from Toronto in Exchange for Kasperi Kapanen, Nick Spaling, Scott Harrington and a 2016 Third-Round Draft Pick

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I think the Flames still win the Cup. The year the Flames won the Cup, Brett Hull scored 41 goals. Wamsley was a back up and totally irrelevant and Ramage, while a solid veteran blue liner, wasn't much of a difference maker, even with the Gary Suter injury.

I think Flames fans, in an effort to soothe the sting of handing a generational goal scoring talent away, like to pretend that the prize for losing Hull was a Stanley Cup, but that doesn't make it true.

Just days after winning the Cup, the Flames deemed him so important they traded Ramage to the Maple Leafs for a 2nd rounder.

Yup. This is one of my least favorite Flames narratives - as though they couldn't have gone out at any point and acquired a mid range veteran D and a backup goalie in 1989. You know, back when teams could make trades on days besides the draft and the deadline.

To say the Flames couldn't have filled those roles without giving up the 4th best goal scorer in league history is disingenuous.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Pens have to one of the only teams to build so much of the team through trades. It seems like all of the important pieces besides Malkin, Letang, Crosby and Murray were from trades

Not quite. The 2006 Hurricanes weren't far off. Interestingly enough, JR was the GM in both cases. I think the only key guys they drafted from that 2006 Cup team were E. Staal, Ward, Ladd and Cole.

Via trade/UFA (mostly trade) they acquired: Brind'Amour, J. Williams, Recchi, Stillman, Whitney, Wesley, Weight, Cullen, Kaberle, A. Ward, Hedican, Commodore, K. Adams, M. Gerber, Babchuk.

Hard to say "1" trade won that cup for them since a LOT of player were acquired via trade, but as others said, the moves to get Recchi and Weight were key, particularly because it kept other teams from getting those guys AND when Cole went down, they needed the depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad