Which trades won a cup?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley for Brett Hull and Steve Bozak. I doubt the Flames win the cup the next year without this trade.

I think the Flames still win the Cup. The year the Flames won the Cup, Brett Hull scored 41 goals. Wamsley was a back up and totally irrelevant and Ramage, while a solid veteran blue liner, wasn't much of a difference maker, even with the Gary Suter injury.

I think Flames fans, in an effort to soothe the sting of handing a generational goal scoring talent away, like to pretend that the prize for losing Hull was a Stanley Cup, but that doesn't make it true.

Just days after winning the Cup, the Flames deemed him so important they traded Ramage to the Maple Leafs for a 2nd rounder.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He led their defense in scoring that playoff run.

except you fail to mention all top 5 were 2 pts apart

Seidenberg 11pts
Kaberle 11 pts
Ference 10 pts
Chara 9 pts
Boychuk 9 pts

Kaberle played the least minutes by far (16:02).... Does no ones remember him being criticized to the bone for his poor play?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Let's just say too many to name all leading to the Ducks being able to have the team they had to win the Cup in 2007.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I think the Flames still win the Cup. The year the Flames won the Cup, Brett Hull scored 41 goals. Wamsley was a back up and totally irrelevant and Ramage, while a solid veteran blue liner, wasn't much of a difference maker, even with the Gary Suter injury.

I think Flames fans, in an effort to soothe the sting of handing a generational goal scoring talent away, like to pretend that the prize for losing Hull was a Stanley Cup, but that doesn't make it true.

Just days after winning the Cup, the Flames deemed him so important they traded Ramage to the Maple Leafs for a 2nd rounder.

Those are good points and you may well be correct. I just remember at the time, and it's stuck with me since, that Ramage really seemed to prove his worth during the Flames playoff run for the SC. I remember thinking they don't win it without him but that is all subjective of course.

Interestingly the 2nd round pick they got from the Maple Leafs for Ramage ended up being Kent Manderville who was later traded to the Leafs in that huge 10 player Gilmour trade.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This guy.

KenDryden1.jpg

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
"Second rate franchises.' Sure. I also liked how you chose Zetterberg over Datsyuk when Dats was a much better player. Guess it wouldn't fit your narrative otherwise.

I think he meant the Ottawa Senators and the Atlanta Trashers.

Nieuwendyk to Dallas for Iginla put the team over the top. I don't think we would've won the Cup without him.

Well, considering he was the Conn Smythe winner, probably not ;)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
except you fail to mention all top 5 were 2 pts apart

Seidenberg 11pts
Kaberle 11 pts
Ference 10 pts
Chara 9 pts
Boychuk 9 pts

Kaberle played the least minutes by far (16:02).... Does no ones remember him being criticized to the bone for his poor play?

By Leaf fans, yes? By any actual hockey analysts or commentators, no.

doomhiker

Dec 4, 2016
Max Bentley to from Chicago to Toronto for 5 starters: Three weeks later and six games into the season, the Maple Leafs completed a deal to acquire Bentley. He was sent to Toronto with Cy Thomas in exchange for Gus Bodnar, Bud Poile, Gaye Stewart, Ernie Dickens and Bob Goldham, on November 2, 1947.[12] The trade sent shockwaves throughout the league. The five players sent to Chicago essentially formed an entire starting unit; NHL President Clarence Campbell stated he was "astounded" by the deal, and stated it ranked with the Maple Leafs' purchase of King Clancy in 1930 as one of the most significant transactions in league history.[14] The trade was still being discussed weeks later as observers throughout the league attempted to assess which team received the better deal.[15] Bentley was initially disappointed to leave his brother in Chicago, but quickly adapted to Toronto where he was immediately popular.[4]
With the Leafs, Bentley challenged for his third consecutive scoring title.[16] He eventually finished fifth with 54 points, seven behind Elmer Lach's league-leading 61.[17] The Leafs finished in first place in the regular season standings, then went on to win the Stanley Cup in a four-game sweep over the Detroit Red Wings in the 1948 Stanley Cup Finals.[18] Bentley was overjoyed, stating: "I waited a long time for this. A Stanley Cup championship at last!"[2]

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably a topic more suited for the History of Hockey board, but.....for the years that the Devils appeared in the Finals:

1995:

Devils acquire Neal Broten from Dallas for Corey Millen. Devils acquire Shawn Chambers and Danton Cole from Tampa for Alexander Semak and Ben Hankinson.

The Devils were missing some veteran punch down the middle after Bernie Nicholls left via free agency. Broten looked like he might be done, but meshed in immediately and put up 28 points in 30 regular season games and 19 points in 20 playoff games.

Devils would move Slava Fetisov to the Red Wings a week after bringing in Chambers. For whatever reason, Chambers was a better fit for the time while Fetisov would have a renaissance in Motown. Chambers added 9 points in 20 playoff games.

2000:

Devils acquire Vladimir Malakhov from Montreal for Sheldon Souray+. Devils acquire Alexander Mogilny from Vancouver for Brendan Morrison and Denis Pederson.

Malakhov was an enigma, but man, when he was motivated he was tremendous. Malakhov shored up the third pair and added some offensive punch on the 2nd PP unit.

Morrison and Pederson both held out to begin the season which allowed Scott Gomez and John Madden to steal their spots. Dealt out of a position of strength to bring in Mogilny to add some pop on the 2nd line.

Both deals were of the win-win variety. It was a bummer that concussions derailed Pederson's career. I thought he was an ideal #3 center in the making.

2001:

Allegedly the Devils put in a respectable offer for Rob Blake, but all the pieces were prospects/picks. Colorado blew New Jersey's package out of the water by including Adam Deadmarsh and Aaron Miller. The Kings were still in the playoff hunt and wanted some pieces to help them immediately. Almost ironically, the Kings pushed the Avs to 7 games in round 2 that season.

The Devils then went to plan B which was Sean O'Donnell for a young Willie Mitchell. O'Donnell was a solid D before and after his stint in New Jersey, but he just didn't fit the puck mover mold that Malakhov did the previous season. Got so bad that O'Donnell was a healthy scratch for games 5/6 of the Finals.

The Devils and Avs would meet in the Finals, and those two trades had an impact.

2003:

Maybe file this one under trades that didn't happen which helped win a Cup.....

Scott Gomez and Oleg Tverdovsky were surprise healthy scratches the night of the trade deadline. In particular, scratching Gomez seemed peculiar since most teams fighting for the division lead wouldn't do that to a top 6 forward.

Allegedly, the Devils had a deal in place to send Gomez/Tverdovsky to San Jose for Teemu Selanne, Marco Sturm, and Mike Ricci. The rumor was that Selanne wasn't interested in playing in the East and he squashed the deal with his no trade clause.

The Devils were struggling to score and the "big" deadline acquisitions were.......Grant Marshall and Pascal Rheaume. Kind of a let down when I was momentarily penciling in Selanne/Sturm/Ricci into the lineup.

Marshall had 0 goals in 59 career playoff games. Not exactly the numbers you wanted to see when the top-6 was lacking scoring punch.

But somehow, Marshall was a decent fit alongside Elias/Gomez for that run and scored 6 goals in 24 playoff games. Rheaume played some unexpectedly solid minutes, especially when Nieuwendyk wasn't able to play in the Finals.

I still wonder if the San Jose trade had gone through whether that team would have gelled in time. Something like:

Sturm-Elias-Selanne
Friesen-Niewendyk-Langenbrunner
Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta
Brylin-Ricci-Stevenson

vs.

Elias-Gomez-Marshall
Friesen-Niewendyk-Langenbrunner
Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta
Brylin-Rheaume-Stevenson

2012:

The Devils fell short against a buzzsaw LA squad in 2012. The Kings carved out a big chunk of cap space during the summer of 2011 when they sent Ryan Smyth back to Edmonton. Do the Kings make the same run with Smyth rather than Jeff Carter?

The Kings' deadline move of trading Jack Johnson+ for Carter while calling up Slava Voynov balanced out their lines.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Pronger to Anaheim and Kessel to Pittsburgh stand out for me.

Carter and Gaborik trades to LA were massive and belong in this thread, but I would add the Richards trade to LA too. Despite his downfall, Richards was absolutely essential for the Kings to win in 2012.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Pens had five rookies play pretty important roles last year. Sheary, Rust, Kuhnackl, Dumoulin, Murray. They've made some good impactful trades but a good part of the team is home grown as well.

Dumoulin was acquired in the Jordan Staal trade. But 4 out of 5 ain't bad!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Probably mentioned but I'm not sure they're is a Cup parade in Pittsburgh last year without the addition of the Thrill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad