Which trades won a cup?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I can see that there are two sides to a trade, and one side of that trade was a direct beneficiary of players that helped with a cup win. Perhaps it's you that can't reconcile that.

I can reconcile that you did it on purpose so you could be contrarian knowing people would assume you were ignorant.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not a cup, but despite the crap Kevin Lowe got, I thought his 2006' trade deadline was overall the best in NHL history. Guy made 2-3 big moves that paid off so huge for a team that wasn't even in a secured playoff spot and came within 1 win of a cup.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I can reconcile that you did it on purpose so you could be contrarian knowing people would assume you were ignorant.

I did it because he was the principal piece in that package, and there were many moving parts going back the other way, whereas Eric Lindros' name is incredibly easy to remember. I figured people would be smart enough to figure out the fact that the pieces going the other way were instrumental for the Avalanche. Instead, you're here arguing that I'm being contrarian.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Last year when half the league would take the Penguins' trash in exchange for good, fast players.

The Leafs didn't get nearly enough in return for Kessel, The Bonino deal was a steal from the time it was made, and I have no idea how any team let alone Chicago would think Rob freakin Scuderi was fair return for Trevor Daley.

Not to mention The Perron-Haeglin deal worked out in spades for them, although that one was pretty fair value wise.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Last year when half the league would take the Penguins' trash in exchange for good, fast players.

The Leafs didn't get nearly enough in return for Kessel, The Bonino deal was a steal from the time it was made, and I have no idea how any team let alone Chicago would think Rob freakin Scuderi was fair return for Trevor Daley.

Not to mention The Perron-Haeglin deal worked out in spades for them, although that one was pretty fair value wise.

Wait until you see Kapanen develop. They used the Penguins pick to get Andersen, who's looking real good.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Wait until you see Kapanen develop. They used the Penguins pick to get Andersen, who's looking real good.

I think Kapanen will be a fine player but I don't think he will reach Kessel level. Its all moot at the moment but it was so stupid that the Leafs settled for accepting a protected pick in that deal. Plus Spaling and Harrington haven't turned into anything of use for the Leafs, outside of other teams accepting them in trades.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
Dryden to the Habs (from the Bruins) won Montreal at least 2 cups that the Bruins would have won.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Do The Thing;125198511[B said:
]I think Kapanen will be a fine player but I don't think he will reach Kessel level. [/B]Its all moot at the moment but it was so stupid that the Leafs settled for accepting a protected pick in that deal. Plus Spaling and Harrington haven't turned into anything of use for the Leafs, outside of other teams accepting them in trades.

Of course not. But how many times does the team trading an elite player get a prospect back that is that good?
Also, they won the cup, so who cares if it was protected. There's a big jump between top 5 protected and winning the cup.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I did it because he was the principal piece in that package, and there were many moving parts going back the other way, whereas Eric Lindros' name is incredibly easy to remember. I figured people would be smart enough to figure out the fact that the pieces going the other way were instrumental for the Avalanche. Instead, you're here arguing that I'm being contrarian.

All you had to do was add "For the Avs". But you didn't, and you knew what would happen.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For Carolina in 2006, Mark Recchi for spare parts and Doug Weight for Jesse Boulerice and a pick (I think), were instrumental. Both both veteran leadership and for Weight it was a shot at winning his first.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Hossa traded to pittsburgh. His frustrating experiences with two second rate franchises led him to the eras most dominant team and as many cups as crosby and zetterberg combined.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hard to argue against the Rangers acquiring Matteau and Noonan from Chicago for Amonte in 1994, or even MacTavish and Anderson.

Obviously we all know what Matteau did (2 OT winners in the '94 ECF, not just Game 7). Anderson had a game winner in the Finals. MacT and Noonan were solid and build for the playoffs. Of course, one might counter argue that the ECF and Finals were closer than they needed to be, and having Amonte and Gartner would have made life easier on us, but it's hard to argue with results and the role the acquired talent played in garnering them.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Francis and Samuelsson to the Pens.

The following year Tochett and K. Samuelsson to the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad