Speculation: Which team would you rather face in the 1st round?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Couture WILL be back but I still like our odds against SJS.
Also imagine what defeating last year's cup finalist would do for our confidence.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
With Thorton going down the opponent we want is the Sharks, no question.

Even with Thorton and Couture, we match up pretty well against them.

It is looking more and more like that is the team we will face, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

It is looking more and more like that is the team we will face, so I'm pretty happy about that.

I dont know how you can say who it looks like we're going to match up with. Are we finishing first and meeting them while they drop to the wild card spot or are we finishing second while they hold off the Flames for the third spot?
We could still face anybody in the Pacific.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't give a crap about how we pair up against any of the teams. I just want to beat Calgary's ass into the ice in the first round. Get them to their fancy Golf courses early Oilers!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i dont care who we play as long as oilers win and flames lose

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't give a crap about how we pair up against any of the teams. I just want to beat Calgary's ass into the ice in the first round. Get them to their fancy Golf courses early Oilers!

The excuses that would come out of Calgary fans as to why they lost would be just fascinating to read too. Reffing, injuries, McDavid, lottery luck, back up goalies, back to backs, poor travel times, hockey gods. There'd be something amazing.

But agreed, losing to Calgary would be pretty unbearable. Thankfully in Vancouver everyone has forgotten about hockey so I wouldn't have to see too much of it.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The sharks and flames are looking like easy pickings right now.

I think a series with the ducks depends on who has home ice. If they get to another game 7 on home ice no way they lose.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The sharks and flames are looking like easy pickings right now.

I think a series with the ducks depends on who has home ice. If they get to another game 7 on home ice no way they lose.

Seriously? I hope the players don't have that same over confidence.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

I dont know about that.. SJ's cycle game is too much for our D.
40 shots on goal last game and got 5 goals past Talbot in a game in January

Talbot will have to stand on his head if we draw SJ. All other teams in West we would be the favorite to win.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I picked SJ but reading this thread has changed my mind to the Lames, makes the most sense, but losing to them would hurt.

I did the exact same!
Especially with Jumbo potentially out I think we can overtake the Sharks with TMac insider knowledge and our game. But unlike others, I don't think it will be a pushover as they will clean up thier act in time for the playoffs. Too experienced and good of a team not to.
On the other hand the Flames are just like us. Relatively inexperienced (although they have made post season more lately), but have made the playoffs seemingly off a single miracle run that is unsustainable. I like how we match up to them in every single department and can finally relish looking forward confidently to BOAs with a lot more than hope and BS bravado!
I say bring em on - sooner the better - let's gets this new BOA version going!

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Anyone but the Preds. Don't really like ducks either.
Sharks, flames or Blues would be the best matchups for us.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
i dont care who we play as long as oilers win and flames lose

As a bonafide severe Oiler addict from day one ground zero, I have to reaffirm with the ones who truly understand the mission of Oil Country. We all love fast hard nosed, wide open, river brand hockey with the odd fisticuff thrown in for good measure, as long as it's honest and fair. But above all of that, as Cornkicker states - we care nothing about anything else but first and foremost -

EDMONTON OILERS WIN AND
CALGARY FLAMES LOSE

All else can fall into place after that.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
The only thing I don't like about the preds is Ryan Ellis' bomb and how effective Rinne is at stopping dump ins and playing the puck. But if that's the reward we get for winning the division, so be it.

I'm at the point where every possible match up will be tough and the other western and pacific teams should be looking at us the same way.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I dont like the Flames matchup in the first round. Too much pressure for a team that hasnt been in the playoffs in 10 years.

Can you imagine the panic if they went down 2-0 to the flames after this season. It would be brutal. Itd be the most mentally challenging of all series.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Finish 1st and let whatever happens happen.

I like our chances against any of our likely 1st round opponents. But think we stack up best against the Flames and the Sharks are ripe for the picking.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anyone but Nashville for me.

SJS looks to be the most ideal at this point. Calgary would be a great series. I think we can take Anaheim as well.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If Thornton and Couture are healthy then I dont want us playing the Sharks.

any other team we would be the favorites to win against.

I think Thornton is done by the look of it. They are still a solid team even without him, though I think at this point they would be the best match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad