Speculation: Which team would you rather face in the 1st round?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sharks are really looking like an old, tired team against Calgary tonight. I think I'm starting to warm up to the idea of playing them. Wouldn't hurt that Mclellan knows that team better than any of the other teams.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1. Flames
2. Sharks/Blues
3. Ducks

I would really like to avoid the ducks in round one.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Sharks are really looking like an old, tired team against Calgary tonight. I think I'm starting to warm up to the idea of playing them. Wouldn't hurt that Mclellan knows that team better than any of the other teams.

the upside with the sharks is i think burns might suck at defense....same with big joe.

anaheim looks like it has more potential to shut down scorers and calgary sort of runs around like idiots and will have a big sideshow goin on I think.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
the upside with the sharks is i think burns might suck at defense....same with big joe.

anaheim looks like it has more potential to shut down scorers and calgary sort of runs around like idiots and will have a big sideshow goin on I think.

Sharks are struggling now, but that won't last. They are too good a team to go 2-8 the rest of the way.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
anyone but the ducks really.. ducks will physically punish any team they play against (moreso than any other team) so leave the flames to them :P

Flames Oilers matchup would be surreal though. BOA would be back in full swing in that series.. and boy do i hope lucic would put tkachuk through the glass haha

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I've been saying it since the day we officially swept the Flames in the regular season:

We need to meet the Flames in the playoffs and sweep them
1 - To re-establish the rivalry
2 - To establish that we will always be number 1
3 - To establish that they will never win a cup as long as we rock

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Don't want the Sharks. Especially if Coulture is back. Instantly makes
That team way more Dangerous. Flames I think but any of these teams isn't going to be easy. Ducks in the playoffs is scary too.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
Regardless of who the Oilers face, I think the team is in good hands.

33fcpjr.png

k9jr0x.png

Last edited:

Cultra

No, not vengeance. Punishment.
Jun 15, 2010
Definitely BOA, haven't seen one in god knows how long. Would love to absolutely murder them.

Outside of that, don't want Nashville at all and I'm glad it won't be Minny.

If it's Sharks or Ducks, I think I'd rather play the Sharks and wait for someone else to wear down the Ducks in the first round.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
A while ago before Minnesota totally crapped the bed, the only teams I didn't want to face were San Jose and Minnesota but now they've struggled the most going in. Pavelski is a hell of a player and I think we should be still scared of them because our wins over them weren't exactly dominant. Hell, its the worst to lose to but there's a whole generation of fans who haven't been able to see a BOA and that's a shame. Let's get this province and this rivalry fired up. Would be so amazing to have Calgary/Edmonton and Ottawa/Toronto in the first round.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Flames. Would put their fans into their place for years to come, and an easy matchup. Bring on the sweep!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

One thing I've noticed in their last two games is that they struggle against speed and they're susceptible to ugly defensive breakdowns. Like I said earlier they're starting to look like a really old team that's run out of gas.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just to put my thoughts in order, I'll post it here. Some may disagree.

We have a team that can pretty much dismantle any of the teams we face. We are that good.

And just because I just returned from a Hall party doesn't take away from that fact.

Go Oil.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Just to put my thoughts in order, I'll post it here. Some may disagree.

We have a team that can pretty much dismantle any of the teams we face. We are that good.

And just because I just returned from a Hall party doesn't take away from that fact.

Go Oil.

Amen, there will be no true favourite with any of our first round matchups but I also absolutely fear no one either and that feels really good.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I want the flames. They're softer than a bunch of brown bananas. We're bigger, stronger, faster, and have the better goalie. They'd be lucky to take one game from us.

If not the flames I'd want the Sharks. They're in free fall. They look old and tired.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
All those folks who'd voted for getting the Flames might want to watch what you wish for. Has the makings to be a brilliant series, so if that's your rationale have at 'er.

But if you're thinking that we roll them in 4 much as we'd dominated in the regular season, I'm thinking this is a deeper, more solid Flames squad than earlier in the season with more engines turning. I don't "fear" them, and do think we still match up well with them, but especially given the Sharks' loss yet again tonight, we should be able to take those cats.

Bottom line: bragging rights this year in a Flames/Oilers series would be outrageous. Great if you get 'em, kinda sucky if you don't. Risky.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
All those folks who'd voted for getting the Flames might want to watch what you wish for. Has the makings to be a brilliant series, so if that's your rationale have at 'er.

But if you're thinking that we roll them in 4 much as we'd dominated in the regular season, I'm thinking this is a deeper, more solid Flames squad than earlier in the season with more engines turning. I don't "fear" them, and do think we still match up well with them, but especially given the Sharks' loss yet again tonight, we should be able to take those cats.

Bottom line: bragging rights this year in a Flames/Oilers series would be outrageous. Great if you get 'em, kinda sucky if you don't. Risky.

A couple weeks ago I didn't want to face them as losing would really suck, but now I'd love to see it. If we lose, what more incentive could there be than to improve to better a provincial rival. I want to see BOAs In the playoffs as it will push both teams to become the best they can be and hopefully that results in championships (for either team but preferably the Oilers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad