Speculation: Which team would you rather face in the 1st round?

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Obviously that's good. But personally I will never hear the end of it if the Flames beat the Oilers in the playoffs.

I get that. Lots of us have personal connections in Calgary, and nothing worse than giving those folks ammo.

As far as I'm concerned, however - they should be more worried about facing US in the first round.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So who do we want the Ducks to play in round 1 if things don't change with our seeding? Nashville might give them a harder series than the Flames, but the cheap shot factor from Calgary might also take out a few of their players for round 2.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
And what if we win?

The reason I wanted the Flames in the first round is because it's the only excuse free BOA we would have. You KNOW if we beat the Flames in the second round it would be nothing but how they had a tougher first round so they were more beat up, if they would have our path to round 2 they would have won, etc. Which we all know is BS but you know it would be out there.

First round would have been epic, it would have put to bed any arguments from either side until we met again in the playoffs.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The reason I wanted the Flames in the first round is because it's the only excuse free BOA we would have. You KNOW if we beat the Flames in the second round it would be nothing but how they had a tougher first round so they were more beat up, if they would have our path to round 2 they would have won, etc. Which we all know is BS but you know it would be out there.

First round would have been epic, it would have put to bed any arguments from either side until we met again in the playoffs.

there were no excuses before the season opener, it's been nothing but since

Expect plenty after a playoff series

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013

All it would be is excuses regardless. From either side, if I'm being honest. It's the nature of rival fanbases, though.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
So who do we want the Ducks to play in round 1 if things don't change with our seeding? Nashville might give them a harder series than the Flames, but the cheap shot factor from Calgary might also take out a few of their players for round 2.

After what Gio did to Fowler and with NO supplemental discipline placed I think the Ducks will demolish the Lames physically if that is a series. The CSF (Cheap shot factor) will be diminished vs. the ducks imo.

Also we match up better to the Pacific so I'd want only Pacific teams for as long as possible. Because if Nashville gets past ANA I dont think we have a chance of beating them.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
After what Gio did to Fowler and with NO supplemental discipline placed I think the Ducks will demolish the Lames physically if that is a series. The CSF (Cheap shot factor) will be diminished vs. the ducks imo.

Also we match up better to the Pacific so I'd want only Pacific teams for as long as possible. Because if Nashville gets past ANA I dont think we have a chance of beating them.

Nope...I never anticipate a win when we play them...merely hope.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nope...I never anticipate a win when we play them...merely hope.

Well we did sweep them in 2013-14, only to be swept the following three years, so we're due for another sweep.

Interesting 6 of the last 11 seasons have been sweeps for one team or the other (unfortunately Edmonton only once though).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Playoffs are a reset... so I wouldn't necessarily look at who's hot and who's not down the final stretch here.

Sure maybe some would rather have the Oilers play the Sharks for example... because they look somewhat weak here but that opponent is a very experienced squad... one year removed from the SC finals... they obviously will be no pushover either.

In a seven game series they will be tough to beat.

I'd honestly rather have the Oilers face the Flames/Blues/Preds in the 1st round... even though the Sharks look like the "softest" target at this point.

IMO there's a little rope a dope going on with the Sharks... and they are very capable of turning it up a couple notches when the playoffs begin.

Flames/Preds/Blues I think the Oilers can deal with more easily.

In the end though... it is what it is... a team has to play (and beat) whoever they face and there are no "easy" matchups at this stage as you know teams are going to throw all they have at McDavid and Talbot to weaken the two obvious strongest links on the team.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Playoffs are a reset... so I wouldn't necessarily look at who's hot and who's not down the final stretch here.

Sure maybe some would rather have the Oilers play the Sharks for example... because they look somewhat weak here but that opponent is a very experienced squad... one year removed from the SC finals... they obviously will be no pushover either.

In a seven game series they will be tough to beat.

I'd honestly rather have the Oilers face the Flames/Blues/Preds in the 1st round... even though the Sharks look like the "softest" target at this point.

IMO there's a little rope a dope going on with the Sharks... and they are very capable of turning it up a couple notches when the playoffs begin.

Flames/Preds/Blues I think the Oilers can deal with more easily.

In the end though... it is what it is... a team has to play (and beat) whoever they face and there are no "easy" matchups at this stage as you know teams are going to throw all they have at McDavid and Talbot to weaken the two obvious strongest links on the team.

I wouldn't totally discount a team's hot/cold streak going into the playoffs. Pittsburgh last year and the Kings in 11-12 rode their hot streaks right to the Cup.

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
You know it just dawned on me. CP is a hate the other team site, don't think I seen fans with so much venom and vile for the opposing teams. But saying that I don't think we will be facing the flames if we win tonight, the ducks are on hot streak like we are, I think I would rather face the sharks, we have been able to beat them in past once we can overcome the shooting gallery they start their games with. Bring on San Hose!:handclap:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Apparently Couture and Thornton will be back in time for the playoffs.

Maybe not necessarily Game 1, but soon.

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
If Thornton plays I have no doubt he will be playing hurt, hampering his performance, that injury he took looked pretty bad.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
at this point, it doesn't matter to me

winning the division would be awesome and having home-ice in the first 2 rounds would be huge...and I'd love to see a BOA since I was too little in 1991

finishing 2nd and taking on the experienced but dinged-up Sharks would be a great way to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs

either way, we have home-ice and the 7th man on our side!

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
The road to contention leads through California one way or the other.

I say bring on the Sharks.

I say let California knock each other out.

Hopefully Nash & STL win on the other side.

Edm will pummel CGY, 6 games at most. Edm fans are weary but that is def the best match up for them.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If it's Oilers vs SJ and Cgy vs Ana I sure hope they don't play on the same nights, that other series is gonna be nasty...

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Things could get awkward from a marketing/fan experience POV if Edmonton and Anaheim play at some point. Both are pushing orange hard, orange crush vs. Paint it orange. Both arenas would be orange, totally negating that point of color rush intimidation.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Things could get awkward from a marketing/fan experience POV if Edmonton and Anaheim play at some point. Both are pushing orange hard, orange crush vs. Paint it orange.

Are Anaheim wearing their orange thirds for the playoffs? I sure hope not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad