Speculation: Which team would you rather face in the 1st round?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Honestly tough. All have pro and cons.

I hope im not eating my words in a 2months from now, but heres how I see it

Calgary- Easiest opposition, weve pounded them 4 times already and they could be back to earth. Statistically easiest match up. Cons: Theyll be mega pissed off and motivated. A loss to them would be horrible

Sharks- On a down swing recently and weve done well against them. match up well and vet team could be tired by seasons end. Cons: Well, a vet team and just went to SCF. Could be motivated to have one last run

Ducks: Pros- Not many. Playoff built team and we dont match up all that well.

Honestly Ill take whichever team is the coldest come playoffs

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The Preds are also a serious possibility, and I'm not sure I want to play them 1st round.

Flames have like what, 3 wins against playoff teams since December? Paper playoff team.

That's the team I want.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Flames are the worst team on paper and also the one who we beat easily every time. PR wise a great choice as well.

Flames is our best match up imo.

Edit: Doesnt really matter tho. Think the Oilers match up well against most this year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
dang I accidently voted the wrong one.

the answer is Flames. They are a weak team who got in riding an improbable win streak. Part of me doesn't want that matchup though just because it would really, really, really suck if we actually lost to them. Anything is possible in sports.

I see some appeal in taking on a true rival in the division like SJ or Anaheim. But still, ultimately I want the best odds so I have to say Calgary.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Easily Calgary, but sadly I don't see them as an option. I think it's definitely going to be between San Jose and Anaheim.

So if the choice is between San Jose and Anaheim I would have to choose Anaheim.
Anaheim will be going into the playoffs with a giant question mark in goal. They'll either have an unreliable starter or an inexperienced starter that's just come off of injury.
I also question the Ducks ability from their defensemen to be blue to contain the McDavid line. Sharks have Vlasic, Ducks don't really have a comparable.
I know the Ducks have Kesler, but I think he'all be struggling to keep up with him by the 3rd game.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
playoffs_zpsxam1tlro.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In terms of best chance to win in the 1st round?

Easily the Flames.

In terms of being able to cope should they lose in the 1st round?

Anyone but the Flames :laugh:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Flames absolutely no questions asked.

Not wanting to play the Flames for fear of losing is cray cray.

The excitement of playing the Flames in the Oilers return to the playoffs would be incredible.

Gotta be able to deal with a loss. Heaven forbid if that were to happen, but no matter what I'd want to see that series.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
No question. Flames. You don't get a chance for old school glory like that very often, and if there's one thing that might propel the Oilers deep this year, it's a gutsy, emotional win over their hated rivals. Also it would be great for Canadian hockey to FINALLY have this rivalry back for real. Bring them ON.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Lames. Would be lovely to see that trash group ran over. Not to mention how funny it would be to see little johnny crying

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gotta go with Flames. I just can't see the Oilers dropping 4 games in a 7 game series, with McDavid, Draisaitl and Lucic upfront and Larsson pounding the Lil Johny all night long.

But it's unlikely they will the 1st round opponent. They won't make it out of the wild card--so they will play one of the top teams--Chicago and Minnessota (or would it be the winner of the Pacific division?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad