Speculation: Which team would you rather face in the 1st round?

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
So CGY can't catch us which means we finish 3rd in division lowest.

We can catch Anaheim if they lose at least one of their games against CHI/LAK. We would need to win all three against SJS, VANx2. Or Anaheim loses both and we win at least 2.

Let's hope. I don't want SJS if they get Couture and Thornton back.
I disagree with you completely. We match up well against San Jose no matter who they have in the lineup. And let us not break our backs over finishing first lol that means nothing at all and be careful what you wish for. I don't mind playing San Jose, it wll be a good series but i think we can win.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The Sharks are a better team than the Preds (or the Flames) and despite the fact that the Preds have swept us this year I think we'd have a better shot against that team than the Sharks. I think the Sharks really bad slump recently is disguising the fact that for basically the entire season they've been the best team in the division. If they get Thornton and Couture back, they're going to be a major handful.

I think the Preds owning us is similar to when the Coyotes were owning us. It wasn't an indication of a bad matchup, just a bizarre quirk between the two teams. I'd happily play them in the first round ahead of the Sharks.

You may be right as the playoffs are a completely different story but I just feel the Oil have troubles defending quick teams with players who can dart in and out quickly and are feisty like Nashville. Our team as a whole can handle the older, slower Sharks much better imo. Plus a big factor is, for whatever reason, Rinne has our number even though he is no longer an elite tender.
Thornton probably won't be back and if he is he'll likely be way less than 100%. And Couture may have to play with a full cage.
We need Anaheim to win their last two hopefully and have us win our last three to go on a roll before round one. Best case scenario.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You may be right as the playoffs are a completely different story but I just feel the Oil have troubles defending quick teams with players who can dart in and out quickly and are feisty like Nashville. Our team as a whole can handle the older, slower Sharks much better imo. Plus a big factor is, for whatever reason, Rinne has our number even though he is no longer an elite tender.
Thornton probably won't be back and if he is he'll likely be way less than 100%. And Couture may have to play with a full cage.
We need Anaheim to win their last two hopefully and have us win our last three to go on a roll before round one. Best case scenario.

If it meant matching up with the Sharks the way they were playing in March then I think that would have been a bad match up for the Oilers. As it stands right now I think the Sharks are probably the best first round match up for this team.

Totally agree with your take on the Oilers struggling with quick teams. Thats been evident all season IMO. They aren't built to beat those types of teams...they are clearly built to win in the Pacific.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Flames easily. We'll destroy them. 5 games with a possibility of a sweep.
Seriously?lol We are not going to destroy anyone !! We are not some super team that can walk over anyone lol All series we play in if we are luck to get past the first will be tough and challenging.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
who do you want to play in the first round?

well id like to fac.......

IT DOESNT MATTER WHO YOU WANT TO FACE *insert WWE Rock GIF*

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
San Jose - old and beatable if our big guys hammer them
Calgary - my worry is we could lose, then what?
St. Loo - next easiest matchup

What do you mean then what? Then they lose and will have to come back better next year.

It doesn't really matter who they play in the first round, to win it all they'll need to beat a better team at some point anyway. I'd take the Sharks, I think this team can go toe to toe with any team in the Pacific for seven games.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Seriously?lol We are not going to destroy anyone !! We are not some super team that can walk over anyone lol All series we play in if we are luck to get past the first will be tough and challenging.

we swept the flames this season

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
who are the current possibilities for first round matchup?

San Jose (81.3% chance)
Calgary (8.8% chance)
Nashville (6.2% chance)
Anaheim (3.0% chance)
St. Louis (.8% chance)

If Edmonton lost tonight and Anaheim won, it would clinch a San Jose matchup where it could still be opening in either building, with odds being it would be in SJ.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
San Jose (81.3% chance)
Calgary (8.8% chance)
Nashville (6.2% chance)
Anaheim (3.0% chance)
St. Louis (.8% chance)

If Edmonton lost tonight and Anaheim won, it would clinch a San Jose matchup where it could still be opening in either building, with odds being it would be in SJ.

If Edmonton wins tonight, Anaheim is longer possible, and they'd only need a point to clinch home ice (2 points if the win was in OT/SO).

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
St Louis would have been nice but oh well.

Anyone know what day the first game would be yet?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'd start Brossoit both games. San Jose or Calgary, doesn't matter. The only important part is getting the 1 point for home ice.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe Friday if starts are staggered over 3 days. Playoffs start Wednesday though.

I really reallllllly hope it's Wednesday or Thursday not Friday, I can't go or watch if it's Friday night. :cry:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
While I like the "pride" factor of taking the division, I don't like our chances against Nashville...never felt confident playing them. Them and Minny are the only conference rivals we didn't have a regulation win over.

So I say whoop the Canucks on Saturday...and if Calgary wins on Saturday (hanging on to WC1)....kick the knuckleheads ass on Sunday too....and hopefully the Ducks lose to LA for us take the division so we can thump Calgary!

While the Sharks don't scare me...I would love to crush the Calgary soul ourselves ;)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I really reallllllly hope it's Wednesday or Thursday not Friday, I can't go or watch if it's Friday night. :cry:

Well...instead of a lottery party I am hosting a "Game 1 Party" to watch on my projection setup so Friday is optimal for me...so I realllllllly hope it is on Friday ;)

We watched the game in bed last night....caught **** because I hid the bud light in the bed room and had the volume up :laugh: My wife: "oh great, neighbors see red lights flashing and hear me screaming" lol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'd start Brossoit both games. San Jose or Calgary, doesn't matter. The only important part is getting the 1 point for home ice.

Dont want Talbot to be too cold going into playoffs.. It takes him a couple periods to get his groove back if we look at the games he has been sitting on the bench for.

Talbot can play the home game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad