Which skates are the best threads

MPink87

Mar 22, 2010
my brother gave me a pair of skates he had in high school a couple of years ago, and they feel great on my feet. they are bauer elite skates. are these halfway decent skates or should i look for something else?

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
my brother gave me a pair of skates he had in high school a couple of years ago, and they feel great on my feet. they are bauer elite skates. are these halfway decent skates or should i look for something else?

If you like them, they fit ok, and they feel good then keep them. I don't think there's anything wrong with the skates you have at least for now. If you find yourself progressing as a skater beyond what they can do for you (meaning you need a higher end skate) then you can look for something else. Comfort is a big thing, if those are comfy then I say keep em. It's unbelievably hard to find a comfortable skate sometimes.

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Does anyone here skates with RBK 9k pumps?

I need a new skate and I'm going from Graf 705's. I have not heard a lot about the Rbk 9k pumps but they seem attractive.

One thing I'm concerned about is the weight. I remember when Reebok first came out after the lockout that the first pumps seemed heavy. I went from wearing Vapor XX's to Graf's and I absolutely hate the weight difference. I want to go back to a lighter skate that still offers a good comfort level.

I really wanted the 195's but it seems like that the size I need is out of stock nearly everwhere.

If anyone skates on them tell me more and if ANYONE knows about the weight compared to other skates please leave a reply. I'm looking into them!

I can only comment on comparing them to the CCM U+ Pro and Bauer X50. Both of these are slightly heavier. It's not a deal breaker to me. Fit is more important though, if they fit you good then the weight can be adjusted for. They really aren't that much lighter but according to the weight measurements given at totalhockey.net... A Bauer X50 8D weighs 1.84lbs, a CCM U+ Pro 8D weighs 1.78, and a Reebok 9k 8D weighs 1.64lbs

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey

I need a new skate and I'm going from Graf 705's. I have not heard a lot about the Rbk 9k pumps but they seem attractive.

One thing I'm concerned about is the weight. I remember when Reebok first came out after the lockout that the first pumps seemed heavy. I went from wearing Vapor XX's to Graf's and I absolutely hate the weight difference. I want to go back to a lighter skate that still offers a good comfort level.

I really wanted the 195's but it seems like that the size I need is out of stock nearly everwhere.

If anyone skates on them tell me more and if ANYONE knows about the weight compared to other skates please leave a reply. I'm looking into them!
I went from one95s to 9k pumps and found minimal weight difference. In my hands it's sorta different but on my feet I don't feel it at all.

Centauris*

I'm a big noob beginning skater..

I started taking lessons and my instructor said I should get my own skates ( I was renting)..

so. should I get a pair or used skates? or go with a new pair?

help? please help

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I'm a big noob beginning skater..

I started taking lessons and my instructor said I should get my own skates ( I was renting)..

so. should I get a pair or used skates? or go with a new pair?

help? please help

Well, it's hard to say. Sometimes you can find good used skates that fit well. Other times all the used selection is broken down and not worth it. Gotta look around your local area and see.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

You should try them on. If you're Vapor/705 foot type the 9k might not fit.

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Are they that good? I havn't gotten around to trying a pair on yet, I've got some old 9k's myself, and I wanna know if they're worth the price

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Picked up my pair of TOs today. I compared them to a One100 and they were most definitely more comfortable, better fitting and lighter. Havent skated in them yet, but am very excited about them. I always have difficulty finding good fitting skates and would have to stretch and manipulate the regular Supremes, do not have to with these. So looking forward to having a good fitting skate. My skills certainly do not warrant this level of skate, but they were so comfortable and fit me so well for a non-custom, I figured it was worth the money.

kevy138

Sep 15, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I have the Bauer Vapors (I think XVI) and I absolutely LOVE them. They were on sale for $100 on HockeyGiant.com at the time I bought them, so they were very reasonably priced as well.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
A question for the experienced skater and players:

I've skated a lot back in grade school, which is about 10 years ago. At the time, I could skate forward, and my hockey stop was running into the wall.

I've recently picked up skating again, hit the rink about 4 times a week for the past 2 weeks and a half. I can now do a hockey stop with my left, almost with my right, turning and going into backward stance and can sort of skate backwards.

I'm 5'9 (176cm) and about 169lb (77kg). I'm looking to work on my skating as much as possible for the next two months btw, but I'll be doing all of this in rental skates, which has been hurting the sides on my sole.

I would like to hit the rink at least 2 to 3 times a week starting September when I return to Canada (I'm in Asia right now). I intend on purchasing a skate when I get back, and my budget is capped at around $300. Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of skates I should get (Beginner/Int/Advanced)?

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Go to an LHS and try on all the skates in your price range and buy the one that fits the best. All skates and brands fit differently and all feet are different, so while someone might say Bauers are the best, they may not fit you at all.

Go to a store, give them your price range and they'll show you all they have that meet your requirements. Try them all and pick the one best for you.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I went through the thread and ran into a question:

It seems most people that CCM U+ skates should be baked. Are there any particular brands or lines better baked than not that I should be aware of?

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Had on a pair of CCM U+ skates today, felt awful, guy said they have to be baked, so many pressure points to start out.

And on a second note, anyone here have the 11k's?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Go to an LHS and try on all the skates in your price range and buy the one that fits the best. All skates and brands fit differently and all feet are different, so while someone might say Bauers are the best, they may not fit you at all.

Go to a store, give them your price range and they'll show you all they have that meet your requirements. Try them all and pick the one best for you.

Though I'm not in a hurry to buy a pair in Asia right now, I'd love to know a little more and perhaps try to look for a skate shop there. Ice skating isn't the most popular sport here, so I'd love to go in knowing a little more.

I will definitely head to a LHS when I return to Canada.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I'm in the market for some ice skates. How many people use Reebok? I was looking at them and they look good. I was wondering if they are known for being durable ?

Thanks!

The Spicy Shrimp

Jul 7, 2010
I'm in the market for some ice skates. How many people use Reebok? I was looking at them and they look good. I was wondering if they are known for being durable ?

Thanks!

I LOVE my 6Ks. I've only had them a few months so I can't speak of durability, but they're comfortable. And if your foot is wide, they're really the best thing you can have. A Bauer E is still too narrow compared to a RBK D.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I LOVE my 6Ks. I've only had them a few months so I can't speak of durability, but they're comfortable. And if your foot is wide, they're really the best thing you can have. A Bauer E is still too narrow compared to a RBK D.

I have been looking at those for a little bit now. The thing I need to do is go and try them on to see if I like the way they feel on my feet. I do have a wide foot I must say.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
I've had a pair of Vapor x40s and they have fit me pretty well. I am in the market for new skates though. I've been hearing about these new MLX skates for a little while now. Anyone know when they are coming out?

I know people can apply to test them...Has anyone gotten to test them or heard reviews?

Tommyj214

Jul 7, 2010
I have Bauer Vapor XXXX right now, and recently tried on, (not skated on) the X 60, 11k and Total One.

i was set on getting the x 60s to replace my worn Vapor xxxx, i tried on the x 60 they were a lot more stiff than i had anticipated, and felt like my foot was immobile and i was wearing armour on my foot. they just feel like a solid well built skate.

I tried on the RBK 11k (of course i would have replaced the blade holder with a Tuuk LS2), the 11k's felt pretty good seemed a little more mobile then the x 60 but didnt seem quite as durable as the X60, i thought if i took a clapper of the foot, it wouldnt feel good at all.

then i tried on the Total One, these skates feel amazing...... the fit is awesome, its mobile. only little thing that was bothering me was they felt a little lower cut then the x60 and the Vapor xxxx. but my foot fit awesome in those skates an are probably going to be the ones i pick up!

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
Yeah the TotalOnes seemed pretty good when I was just browsing Bauer's site. They are made with a composite material, probably similar to the MLX skates I mentioned in my last post.

Speaking of which, I was able to answer one of my own questions...MLX just hit the market on Friday or Saturday. If any of you have seen the site before, they revamped it. http://www.mlxskates.com/

They are actually announcing who gets a free pair to test sometime this week. I hope it's me but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad