Which skates are the best threads

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
We seem to be having an influx of Which skates are the best threads around here lately, so now we have a stickey.

Instead of just typing your skate, type the specifics...and remember that everyone has a different shaped foot so you have to TRY ON THE SKATES before you buy them.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I'll go first.

Product: RBK 9K Pumps size 5 custom
Reviewer specs:
Intro
25 female, 5'10 ish. On the ice 3-4 times a week during the winter, 2 times a week in the summer. Tier 1 women's and men's B.
Narrow heel, wideish forefoot.

I've had Nike skates (when they first came out) as well as Mission Betty flyweighys. I broke the Nike skates in about 3 weeks, broke the front of the toe and broke the steel. The Mission's didn't last much better seeing as I broke the stabalizer bar in within a month of playing, durability is obviously a big thing for me. I also used the Vector 6.0's.

Fit
I have always worn a size 6 in all of the other skates, except for the Missions which were an 8. I wear a5 in the RBKs. When I first put them on I knew I would have to get them baked, but that's not a big deal.
They hugged my foot without any pressure points. The pump allows you to tighten the skate around your ankle/heel in just a few seconds. I have a very narrow heel and a wider toe box. The CCMs have always fit me the best, but my ankle would still slide around causing blisters and making it harder to get a good knee bend and cross-overs.
The 9Ks totally fixed the problem.
I tied them really tight around my toebox my first practice and I though my foot was going to fall off. But when I re-laced they were wonderful.
The inside is anti-bacterial and it doesn't absorb any water. This keeps the skates light and keeps them from getting sloppy.
I enjoy the thicker tendon guard. It allows me to transition easier without worrying about bending them, which I am prone to do. Wow, it's nice to be able to control the amount of support you want or need. I know a girl that doesn't ever use the pump where I pump them about 5-6 times to get it the way I want.

Blade/Holder
This has been the biggest problem I have had in skates. I broke the holders of my Mission Betty Flyweights within 2 months. My Vector holders have held up for 2 years and these are the same ones. I really like how CCM/RBK revamped the holders.
I have heard that the blades are weaker because of the steel being perforated, but I haven't had any problems.

Protection
I haven't had any problems at all. I have blocked slapshots from a few different guys and haven't come out worse for wear. They are a bit ripped up around the tendon guard because I tuck my hockey socks under the tendon guards...

Weight
They're light, but not as light as the Easton 1500's. They're not flimsy at all but they don't add to extra fatigue.

Durability
I've had them for 2 years now and there are some scratches and cosmetic issues (the tendon guards are chewed up from skate blades and the holders are chopped up and the silver pain on the RBK logo is peeling off) but other than that I haven't had an issue. They haven't started breaking down yet...which is a great sign.

Conclusion
I love them. With my superfeet insoles, I can skate for hours, and will. Our women's team, by the end of the season due to injuries and pregnancy only had 6 skaters. It became a looooong season.

Anyway, they fit great and have lasted me well.

Update:

I've had this skates for just about 2 years now, they look like they've been used for over a year...there are cuts and scratches all over them, but nothing that wrecks the integrity of the skate.

I got heel lifts put in the skates...about 1/2 a centimeter worth. Makes is SO much better.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Product: CCM U+ Pro
Reviewer specs:
Intro
16 Year Old Male 6'4 190. On the ice 5 times a week during the winter, 0 times a week in the summer. Men's AA/AAA (haven't tried out yet lol).
Wider foot but not insanely wide.

I've had CCM tacks, RBK 5k's, and Graf 709's

Fit
Incredible. Best avaliable because of super sensitive u foam (i believe that is what it is called). Also got mine pressed to my foot after baked instead of normal wearing after baked to form.

Blade/Holder
Good, the Rocket Runner performs like a t-blade but can be sharpened approx. 15 times before they must be replaced. lightest avaliable non t-blade on the market by a wide margin.

Protection
Average, not going to put you in any specific danger but also not a shot blockers skate.

Weight
I believe they are the lightest skate on the market as they felt noticeably lighter than any other skates.

Durability
Have not had them long enough to say.. only about a week. I can tell you that I bought a pair and the fell apart after being baked tho... right in the store. But I got a free replacement pair obviously and they turned out fine.

Conclusion
They look, feel, and perform great. Anyone who fits a CCM skate well should have this skate at the top of their wishlist. One of the best, most innovative skates i've seen on the market IMO. Get Superfeet insoles! They make a huge difference and even though these skates run around $550-$600 they have the same piece of crap 10 cent insoles every other skate has.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Product: CCM U+ Pro
Reviewer specs:
Intro
16 Year Old Male 6'4 190. On the ice 5 times a week during the winter, 0 times a week in the summer. Men's AA/AAA (haven't tried out yet lol).
Wider foot but not insanely wide.

I've had CCM tacks, RBK 5k's, and Graf 709's

Fit
Incredible. Best avaliable because of super sensitive u foam (i believe that is what it is called). Also got mine pressed to my foot after baked instead of normal wearing after baked to form.

Blade/Holder
Good, the Rocket Runner performs like a t-blade but can be sharpened approx. 15 times before they must be replaced. lightest avaliable non t-blade on the market by a wide margin.

Protection
Average, not going to put you in any specific danger but also not a shot blockers skate.

Weight
I believe they are the lightest skate on the market as they felt noticeably lighter than any other skates.

Durability
Have not had them long enough to say.. only about a week. I can tell you that I bought a pair and the fell apart after being baked tho... right in the store. But I got a free replacement pair obviously and they turned out fine.

Conclusion
They look, feel, and perform great. Anyone who fits a CCM skate well should have this skate at the top of their wishlist. One of the best, most innovative skates i've seen on the market IMO. Get Superfeet insoles! They make a huge difference and even though these skates run around $550-$600 they have the same piece of crap 10 cent insoles every other skate has.

Please explain, i'm all for the U+ BTW, i love them

Towelie*

I just bought Graf Ultra G3's and they are by far the best skates I have ever had. I would recommend them to anyone.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
The main thing to stress with skates is the arch support, it will NEVER break in for you.

High arch: Bauer or Mission
Mid arch: Easton or Graf
Flat foot: CCM or RBK

It's always best to go slightly narrow as opposed to slightly wide, as a boot will always stretch out, but will never shrink in to meet your foot. Lastly, length... You will need to sit down, lace the skate up totally, and then give the heal a SOLID slam. When you're sitting down, you shouldn't feel the very tip of the toecap. However, when you stand flat footed, you should just barely graze the end.

Good luck all, and try on more than two pairs!

southendsniper

Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa
I have the RBK 9k's as well. They are awesome. I have never felt so stable strong on my feet before. The pump system is actually really awesome, and after breaking in the skates, I find myself pumping up before every game. It locks your feet into the skate like no other skate I've had before.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
The main thing to stress with skates is the arch support, it will NEVER break in for you.

High arch: Bauer or Mission
Mid arch: Easton or Graf
Flat foot: CCM or RBK

It's always best to go slightly narrow as opposed to slightly wide, as a boot will always stretch out, but will never shrink in to meet your foot. Lastly, length... You will need to sit down, lace the skate up totally, and then give the heal a SOLID slam. When you're sitting down, you shouldn't feel the very tip of the toecap. However, when you stand flat footed, you should just barely graze the end.

Good luck all, and try on more than two pairs!

It's not always true. I have a normal arch and I replaced the insoles with the superfeet insoles for more support...

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I am needing new skates and I'm not sure which ones i should be looking at. I have very wide feet, E/EE and I frequently block shots with my skates. I have a pair of Vapor III's now that i bought from an ex pro but they are 1 size too big and hurt my feet.

So essentially I need a skate that has a hard shell and has a wide boot.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Product: Easton Synergy 800c
Reviewer specs:
Intro
19 yr. old male, 5'6" and 140 lb. On the ice for hockey once a week and twice a week just skating.
Normal heel, wider forefoot, Lower arch.

Fit
Very nice. The foam is nice and soft and the heat molding helps a lot. I never notice them unless I tie the front too tight. Also came with a nice shockdoctor insole that feels and perfoms quite nice.

Blade/Holder
I like it for the most part, nice and narrow holder to allow you to make sharper cuts, but you need to check the bolts on the runners on occasion, as they've come a bit loose every once in a while.

Protection
Pretty nice. The boot is a one piece, pretty thick glass fiber composite, You're not going to be hurting too much blocking shots in these things.

Weight
Pretty light, but not the lightest available. These are not the top end skates.

Durability
The fabric on the inside of the tendon guard has started to unstitch from the liner on the rest of the inside of the boot, but other then that the only real wear is cosmetic.

Conclusion
If you fit an Easton skate well and are looking for a middle of the line skate, this is a good choice. Fit's quite good, flexibility in the upper keeps a more natural skating stride while not comprising support- a nice feature of Easton's skates. If you're not looking for a decent skate that's also a pretty good value, this is a good choice.

Last edited:

Vaheh

Sponsor
Aug 7, 2007
Arizona
I've had Bauer Vapor VIIIs for 3 years now, need to get new skates,any recomendations?

We'reGonnaWin*

I've had Bauer Vapor VIIIs for 3 years now, need to get new skates,any recomendations?

If you like the way they fit, try a pair of 2008 Vapors on first. They're already on the narrower end of skates so you can start from there.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
My buddy is looking at Bauer One55 (senior) - anyone ever try these, and if so - did you like them? He's just learning how to skate (i shall teach), but I have no experience with these skates or Bauer at all.

Any opinions are welcome.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Please explain, i'm all for the U+ BTW, i love them

Sorry for the super long reply... the U+ skates get baked, put on your feet, and then put in a ccm f-i-t machine while on your feet (if at a skate shop equipped with one). The f-i-t machine is like a compression chamber that presses foam firmly around the skates when inserted, insuring zero negative space between your foot and the skate boot. Also, they come out stiffer then when put in.

Update: Have had the U+ skates for a couple more months now skating regularly. Have never been more happy with a pair of skates. Durability seems to not be a problem and hopefully that remains true... knock on wood. ;)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Sorry for the super long reply... the U+ skates get baked, put on your feet, and then put in a ccm f-i-t machine while on your feet (if at a skate shop equipped with one). The f-i-t machine is like a compression chamber that presses foam firmly around the skates when inserted, insuring zero negative space between your foot and the skate boot. Also, they come out stiffer then when put in.

Update: Have had the U+ skates for a couple more months now skating regularly. Have never been more happy with a pair of skates. Durability seems to not be a problem and hopefully that remains true... knock on wood. ;)

thst's cool. I'm not sure that thetre's any hockey store in Québec equiped with that, anyways, i still LOVE them, but (i think it's because i sweat alot) The extorior layer of my skates are sort of stiking out, i can almost rip them apart if i would want too, sucks

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
thst's cool. I'm not sure that thetre's any hockey store in Québec equiped with that, anyways, i still LOVE them, but (i think it's because i sweat alot) The extorior layer of my skates are sort of stiking out, i can almost rip them apart if i would want too, sucks

You could get the same effect by pressing them to your foot with your hands as they're fit (gently, mind you). Won't be as perfect, but a lot of guys will do that while you're getting your skates fit anyway. The guy doing mine did.

It's not a new process or idea at all, it's a new way of marketing it.

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
The fit machine is pretty strong, I'd like to meet the guy who matches the strength of that...

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Anybody running a pair of Bauer One95's? Need to buy a pair soon as I am running out of room to rivet the blade to my boot. I play 3-4 times a week and am running practices 2-4 times a week.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Grafs won't be much lighter. They're a traditional construction boot, same as the tacks. Fabrics and leather. Their big selling point is the fit- they have several different models that are built to fit different shape feet. They're also more durable then most skates on the market.

If you want lighter, Bauer, Easton, CCM and RBK make nice composite boots that are lightweight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad