Which skates are the best threads

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Hey guys, appreciate any help. Haven't been on (ice) skates in 12 years, pulled out my old CCM Tacks and remembered the pain from my toes jamming into the front, and also the butchered sharpening job some kid at the pro shop did (rockers don't match, one blade taller than the other).

So I want to get a new pair and have nooooo idea what's "new" out there - are there form-fitted inserts, cushioned inserts, etc.?

I'm not looking to get back into competitive hockey again but would like a nice comfortable pair of skates for some weekend recreational skating at the local rink.

Thank you!:hockey:

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Pretty much all the current skates will feel good on your feet these days. Just make sure to try a bunch on and find the brand/model that fits your feet the best. Your toes absolutely shouldn't be jamming into the toecap.

As for recreation skating, I would stay away from the very bottom of the line skates since they won't hold up very long, but the 2nd or 3rd up would do you well. Something like Bauer Vapor X:20, Bauer Supreme One40, Reebok 4K, etc. I'd set a budget and just get the most comfortable, highest-end skate you can.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Thanks kr580, at least now I have some brands/models to start with. I don't know if my feet got bigger or more gnarly with age, but size 11's always fit me comfortably 20 years ago!

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
What is your budget?

How much would you prefer to spend, and what is the maximum you're willing to spend?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Well I see the couple that kr580 recommended are in the $120 range so that sounds about right.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
You should note that all brands, and even each model in a line fit differently. I doubt any size 11 skates from different brands are the same fit.

That's why it's important to go sit down at a hockey shop with a knowledgeable employee and try on as many skates in your price range that you can. Also you don't have to just go with Bauer or RBK, pretty much any brand these days are good (Bauer, Reebok, CCM, Easton, Graf, Mission). Go with what fits best.

Also, generally, the more expensive the stiffer the boot, and the stiffer the boot the longer it will last you. So you may find it worthwhile to spend more on a pair that you'll get more mileage out of. Completely your decision though.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Thanks. Actually I should have said it was a size 8, adjusting my shoe size 1 1/2 DOWN as opposed to 1 1/2 UP.:) But either way, the skates that fit me fine 12 years ago are now jamming my toes!

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I had a pair of Graf 707s that lasted nearly 10 years, and then re-upped with their G7 model- which is the new incarnation of the 707. They are amazing, but pricey. But if they last half as long as my first pair, they'll be well worth the money.

gymineer

Jul 15, 2010
MLX's

So I got myself a pair of the new MLX Skates, thought I'd share my thoughts (See my full review with pictures on Gymineer (A site about finding new sports)

The home baking and the flexible tendon guards are the things I am biggest on. The tendon guard idea just makes so much sense to me.

I had read a few things where people were worried about the weight of the skates - I've had Graf's, Nike's, and Flite's (small outfit in Ontario), and the MLX are much lighter (granted, also much newer). There not as light as the new CCM's and stuff, but not comparably heavier either.

The ability to shift the blade seems cool, but I don't really understand how to do it (couldn't find any guides). Otherwise they fit beautifully and I just hope they hold up fairly well (part are replaceable as well, which is cool).

macgyverthatshiz

Apr 3, 2010
North Carolina
just bought bauer X:30's. anyone have these?

Alot of people have them in my league, great skate for the loot. IMO, they are way better than the CCM models in the similar price range, the CCM Vectors look and feel kind of cheap to me compared to the same tier Vapors. I just bought the X:20's and I love them.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
For any roller hockey players, has anyone else used the Mission Lieutenants? Possibly the worst skate anyone could make.. i've had these pieces of crap ripping up my feet for 6 months now and unfortunately i cannot afford to get new ones right now.

Has anyone tried the new axiom ones? I know one of my buddies i've skated with before has one of the series and his front boot is already separating from the chassis.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Just picked up a pair of Bauer One 100s last night and had them heat molded and sharpened up...

Anyone else use these?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I just bought a pair of Bauer X:20's today. I had them in the skate oven and sharpened and I get to test them out Saturday. Felt great in the store, can't wait to see what they're like on the ice!

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Hi can somebody compare the Bauer Vapor x40, x50, and x60? I'm mainly interested in the weight and stiffness.

Weighing 60kg, would the x60s be too stiff for me.
I play rec hockey, and play twice a week.

Also is the new Bauer 5.0 the successor to the x50?
Thanks

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
It's (supposed to be almost) summertime so let's talk about inline skates!

I'm about to join a league downtown Toronto and need to upgrade, 200 max. I did research and like the axiom 5 but inclined to the x20 due to the dollars.

Anybody with experience?

HolyRollie

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm about to join a league downtown Toronto and need to upgrade, 200 max. I did research and like the axiom 5 but inclined to the x20 due to the dollars.

While you consider different skates, check out Inline Warehouse (if you haven't already). They have some solid deals and free 2 day air. You may find some nice skates end up within your price range after their discounts!

trukweaz

Mar 19, 2011
This might be buried in here, but interested on current thoughts.

I have flat/narrow/low volume feet.

Looking for an idea on WHAT brand/model might be best?

I am in RBK 11k's in a 7D and the "Pump" helps to fill in around the heal a bit but looking at a bauer Vapor or Supreme as well.

Thoughts?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
While you consider different skates, check out Inline Warehouse (if you haven't already). They have some solid deals and free 2 day air. You may find some nice skates end up within your price range after their discounts!

i had some dollars on a gift card for my birthday so i used it up on a vapor rx ultra pair. they fit nice, good wheels but the bearings are very low grade, i think im gonna upgrade

Logie

Apr 20, 2011
Wales [UK]
Meh... Im having murder with skates. Started with Vapour X:05. Ok, there cheap but i just got into skating and i got them only worn once for £30.

I started to get really bad foot pain and i couldnt get the skates off quick enough, i could prob handle about 30 mins and that was it!

So they went on ebay and got £52 for them and i went to my local shop and got fit, Bauer One60s in EE. Much better.

Prob done about 24 hours of skating in them, sharpened one, but im having trouble lacing them.

If i have the laces even moderatley tight, my arch kills, but i dont want to keep skating with them, when i can move my ankle left and right (Foot doesnt move, if my heel moves i go off and do them a little tighter!)

I love having the skate tight on my foot, you get SO much more speed and agility, and everything done is sharper! But my arch kills.

I understand when i do them to tight, my foot either throbs and goes numb or i get pins and needles then a dead foot :)

Do i just need to get a new insole with better arch support?

p.s. the only thing i find a let down on the One60's is the tounge, lace bite protecter part has gone flat!

tomcho

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago
This might be buried in here, but interested on current thoughts.

I have flat/narrow/low volume feet.

Looking for an idea on WHAT brand/model might be best?

I am in RBK 11k's in a 7D and the "Pump" helps to fill in around the heal a bit but looking at a bauer Vapor or Supreme as well.

Thoughts?

Typically RBK skates run wider, I have wide flat feet and RBKs were the only skates that felt good to me.

If you're in an 11k, I'd go to a shop and try a SupremeOne 100 at the same price point.

trukweaz

Mar 19, 2011
Typically RBK skates run wider, I have wide flat feet and RBKs were the only skates that felt good to me.

If you're in an 11k, I'd go to a shop and try a SupremeOne 100 at the same price point.

Thanks. I am considering the One100's and will try on the new Vapor line tomorrow. The Graf 703 fits really well it just seems SO heavy and outdated compared to the new Bauer and Rbk skates.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
does anybody have the bauer vapor x60's? if so have you replaced the insole with an after-market insole? which insole did you replace the stock one with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad