Which skates are the best threads

Pitt9050

May 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
So I got myself a pair of the new MLX Skates, thought I'd share my thoughts (See my full review with pictures on Gymineer (A site about finding new sports)

The home baking and the flexible tendon guards are the things I am biggest on. The tendon guard idea just makes so much sense to me.

I had read a few things where people were worried about the weight of the skates - I've had Graf's, Nike's, and Flite's (small outfit in Ontario), and the MLX are much lighter (granted, also much newer). There not as light as the new CCM's and stuff, but not comparably heavier either.

The ability to shift the blade seems cool, but I don't really understand how to do it (couldn't find any guides). Otherwise they fit beautifully and I just hope they hold up fairly well (part are replaceable as well, which is cool).

- Well looking at about a year after you posted this I was wondering if you could give us some insight on how they have held up? Also wondering how they performed on the side of protection over the last year(not only puck protection but also foot/ankle-any bruising,blisters,arch problems)

mfd1068

Mar 21, 2011
Keswick
does anybody have the bauer vapor x60's? if so have you replaced the insole with an after-market insole? which insole did you replace the stock one with?

I have some Vapor X60's. I use a custom Sidas foot bed. Its moulded to your foot which provides a custom fit. They are a little pricey, around $80-100 but IMO well worth it. You could also try Superfeet which are pretty good as well.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I have some Vapor X60's. I use a custom Sidas foot bed. Its moulded to your foot which provides a custom fit. They are a little pricey, around $80-100 but IMO well worth it. You could also try Superfeet which are pretty good as well.

Do you buy these "over the counter" or is this something you have to get custom fitted for? I have a pair of one100s but would like to check out the aftermarket footbeds...

rk50

Aug 3, 2005
Can anyone recommend a pair of comfortable inline skates?

I've been wearing a pair of Tour cobalt 8.8s for over 2 years now and I just can't get comfortable in them. I originally got them because they have the wheel channel that allows me to use all 80 mm wheels (not a big fan of hi/lo or using different sized wheels). Anyways, every game I'm fighting sore feet and ankles. Either sore on top or the sides or they even get numb and fall asleep. I have to tie/untie to make them looser or tighter all the time. I've tried everything from new soles, new laces, different socks, different wheels, tieing them differently and nothing works.

If it helps I have slightly wider and flat feet. Also looking to keep the price under $200 if possible.

mfd1068

Mar 21, 2011
Keswick
Do you buy these "over the counter" or is this something you have to get custom fitted for? I have a pair of one100s but would like to check out the aftermarket footbeds...

The Sidas footbeds are molded to your foot. It takes about 20-30 min.
Check with your LHS to see if they offer the service. The Superfeet are just aftermarket footbeds trimmed to fit your skate. Another nice footbed is the Graf trim and fit. It's around $30-40. Good luck.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thinking about buying the X 4.0's from purehockey, they have a sale for 20% off the limited editions today. Any good?

If they fit your foot, then they're a good skate if you play rec/low level leagues and are on the ice 1-2 times a week.

Sirstig

Mar 18, 2011
Port Alberni, BC
Easton EQ 50s

I was willing to pay whatever was necessary to get a skate that fit my foot best. I ended up with the Easton EQ 50s.
-Very comfortable (for me).
-A couple of hundred bucks less than anyone else's top-of-the-line.
-Very stiff in a good way. Sometimes I feel like they're pushing me around the ice:)
-Blocked some shots without consequence as well.

I may need new footbeds for more support but otherwise, very happy.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Just switched to Graf Ultra G75's great for narrow feet!

???
I came away with the complete opposite impression when I tried them on. I felt they fit relatively wide in the forefoot, snug but not tight in the heel and relatively deep.

As a comparison, I wear a 6ee x60 and 6W Graf g35 and felt the 6R G75 was just a touch roomy for me.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
I recently bought a pair of RBK 8K's in white. I absolutely love them. I tried on a pair of CCM's aswell, but the Reeboks fit my foot like a glove, and i love the pump system. For someone looking for a quality stiff boot, i'd go for these!

JimmyStart*

I started skating again and couldnt remembenr what my skate size was. The skates I still had were size 8. I could barely go a few seconds without severe foot cramping. Yesterday I went and tried with I believe 13's. (My shoes are 12's.) I was fine yesterday and never had a foot cramping issue. The skates however would let my leg shift back and forth a little bit which made it difficult to maintain balance.

Today I went and started with 11's. My foot cramped a lot when it had not cramped at all yesterday I couldn't make it one lap without extreme cramping in my feet so I moved up to 12. My foot continued to cramp and I was still shifting. Finally I went back to 13 and the foot cramping wasnt as severe I skated a bunch of laps without issue but even though I tied as tight as I could my leg would shift within the skate and it was very hard to stay balanced.

I want to get actual skates for myself instea dof using the rentals and they measured my foot and it came out to 8 1/2. Now I'm 100% confused and have no idea what to do with this skate size stuff. I will try 11 again next time and maybe my foot was just tired? Did I tie the foot part of the skate too tight maybe?

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
I started skating again and couldnt remembenr what my skate size was. The skates I still had were size 8. I could barely go a few seconds without severe foot cramping. Yesterday I went and tried with I believe 13's. (My shoes are 12's.) I was fine yesterday and never had a foot cramping issue. The skates however would let my leg shift back and forth a little bit which made it difficult to maintain balance.

Today I went and started with 11's. My foot cramped a lot when it had not cramped at all yesterday I couldn't make it one lap without extreme cramping in my feet so I moved up to 12. My foot continued to cramp and I was still shifting. Finally I went back to 13 and the foot cramping wasnt as severe I skated a bunch of laps without issue but even though I tied as tight as I could my leg would shift within the skate and it was very hard to stay balanced.

I want to get actual skates for myself instea dof using the rentals and they measured my foot and it came out to 8 1/2. Now I'm 100% confused and have no idea what to do with this skate size stuff. I will try 11 again next time and maybe my foot was just tired? Did I tie the foot part of the skate too tight maybe?

Skates are Canadian sized which are 1-1/2 sizes smaller than your shoes. Skates need to fit snugly, and should be a tad uncomfortable before baking and breaking in.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Can anyone recommend a pair of comfortable inline skates?

I've been wearing a pair of Tour cobalt 8.8s for over 2 years now and I just can't get comfortable in them. I originally got them because they have the wheel channel that allows me to use all 80 mm wheels (not a big fan of hi/lo or using different sized wheels). Anyways, every game I'm fighting sore feet and ankles. Either sore on top or the sides or they even get numb and fall asleep. I have to tie/untie to make them looser or tighter all the time. I've tried everything from new soles, new laces, different socks, different wheels, tieing them differently and nothing works.

If it helps I have slightly wider and flat feet. Also looking to keep the price under $200 if possible.

I'm not in my computer right now so I can't go and verify but pretty much tour just does the all 80mm wheel set up and maybe I think I've seen Bauer or reebok but everything else is just hi-lo or the tri set up

JimmyStart*

I realized that i was not putting my heel firmly against the back of the skate and so my foot was up in front too far which led to excessive foot cramping and my skate being very loose around the ankle and all the skate shifting made it near impssible to skate.

I seem to be stuck where an 11 still cramps my feet too muchd espite having my heel in the back and a 12 still leaves too much wiggle so I'm getting an 11.5

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out here. I seem to have really funny shaped feet. The guy at PLH said I'm a size 5.5 EE. So he brings out a few pairs. I could only get one pair on and my toes were overlapping, but I couldn't touch the end with the laces completely loosened.

So he brought out a pair of Supremes size 6.0 EE. They had a decent amount of toe room but I found the instep didn't feel right, the heel area was touching plastic, and the heel part is too perpendicular.

I knew that I wanted to try some Graf 670's because of the shape of my foot. Luckily he had a pair in 6.0 wide. They felt great, my heel was very snug and didn't move around at all, the instep was correct, the width was great, they felt like a glove. Except one problem, by the small toe there's a rough spot in the plastic. My small toe was basically jammed right up against it. This is with normal socks.

- 5'7"
- 165 lbs
- Intermediate skating skill

- medium heel, moderate backstay
- deep instep
- size 5.5 for length but need at least size 6.0 EE for width and instep
- Normally have to go with shoe size 8.5 Wide just so the width will work, but there will be a good inch in front of my toes

- Would like to keep the skates under $400

If the 670's had the toe room of the Supremes I would've bought them. Not that there was a lack of room, it's just the one rough spot stuck out a bit. I can't see them working.

Maybe I should try a pair of 670's size 6.5 wides? I also see they make G75's which are the same overall shape as 670's in 6.0 Wide +. But those are a little out of my price range. Should I just go back to another store and keep trying the skates? I've already tried many different pairs.

JimmyStart*

Little confused can you follow the instructions that come with the skates and bake them at home b/c it says to "find my localized Bauer merchant" or whatever and find a "TFU unit" to bake them. Isn't it essentially you bake em at I think 145 for 3 minutes take em out let em cool and bake em one or two more times? When exactly do you put your foot in? In between bakes while it cools? Do you stand? It says stand but down flex forward or walk. Trying to make sure I do this right.

DohBruins

May 22, 2012
Boston
Hello, I was hoping somebody could help me out with this:

Over the past few years my feet have grown tremendously, especially wide. Does anyone else have wide feet, and do you have tips on which type of skates, sizes i should wear? I am size 11.5 and wear wide shoes. I am in pretty bad pain when skating. And also, when running my feet hurt. Do you think this is a foot problem or a skate size problem. Do they sell wide soled skates? Has anyone else have wide feet and how have you handled the situation? It could be that i have just started playing hockey in a while/ out of shape.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->