Which skates are the best threads

Madvillain27*

There is a special skate oven that is heated up and your skates placed inside. They are left to "bake" for a few minutes depending on the skate type. This makes the foam and padding on the inside of the boot very pliable, almost like play dough in a way. Then when they are removed from the oven you lace them up tightly around your foot and sit in a chair with the runners flat on the floor. You're just supposed to wear them in a seated position not walking around etc for about 15 minutes. As the padding cools it retains a memory of the shape of your foot and keeps that shape. Every time you lace up the skates after baking them they will go to the same position you had them in when they were hot. This gives a more customized fit and helps lower break in time with new skates. Many skates such as the CCM U+ line come out of the box very ill fitting with a lot of gaps and space. The boot and foam is so stiff you cannot lace it up properly to size them. So the shop will usually bake them before you try them on to allow the foam to mold to your foot and you get an accurate sizing of the boot. I'm pretty sure that all hockey skates regardless of brand can be baked achieving good results. The CCM U+ line can be baked over and over as needed. So if you get a spot that puts pressure on your foot or ankle in a somewhat uncomfortable way, you can just get them baked again and let it mold a little better.

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation!

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
they weren't cut because they were "bad" skates, if that is what you're insinuating. they were cut because bauer decided to place mission as their inline-only company. they'd been getting excellent reviews from the people who's feet they actually fit properly.

They were cut because of the price and not shipping units

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
They were cut because of the price and not shipping units

wrong again. the entire '09 NME line, down to protective, was cut because bauer had no use for another ice line outside of vapor and supreme. the took over mission in order to posture them for inline where bauer is traditionally weak...make sense?

Hfboards2010

Jan 5, 2010
Just a response to the bolded part, did you have the CCM skates baked before trying them on? From the factory (out of the box) they don't lace up well and feel like a box. I was wondering how anyone skates in these. They do require baking prior to fitting so you can see the size that works. They can be bakes an unlimited number of times, the foam reacts to heat and will form to every bit of your foot. Just wondering if you did get them baked and still did not like them? They aren't for everyone I will admit, but out of the box they are sloppy to say the least :laugh:

I don't believe Mission still makes Ice Hockey skates, at least nothing super new. I am not positive on this so please don't bite my head off if I am wrong. They are sized according to shoe size. A 10 shoe is a 10 skate. I do not know if the Other Bauer lines are similar in fit to the Vapor line, I have not tried them on. I would like to think they would fit close because they are the same manufacturer, but you'd have to lace them up to be sure of that.

There isn't many LHS around me either. I know of 2 who are pretty well stocked, one specializes in hockey equipment and skate gear so they pretty much have all the latest models in various sizes and will order just about anything. They have even ordered custom skate boots for a young man with special orthopedic needs (has to use special supports in his shoes to avoid intense foot pain). The other has a good lineup of skates, but only carries the more popular ones and typically doesn't have a huge inventory. The other couple stores around are more for trading in used equipment and don't have much of a selection. If you do find a LHS that is well stocked, and with knowledgeable staff, give them business as much as you can. It's sad to say but a lot of Hockey retailers are going away as the internet takes more and more business away. I don't understand it as skates have to be fitted to you as an individual, that is not possible when ordering online. Finding somewhere to have new skates baked and sharpened has become problematic in some areas too. :(

Thanks for info.

CCM U+
Did not have them baked. Was not offered. Seemed like an inexperienced vendor combined with an inexperienced buyer. Sigh.

I find it harder and harder to find specialized equipment in local stores (not just hockey, everything). They just have popular models, little inventory, etc. I do not mind buying off the Internet, but I would rather give my money locally. Anyway, enough with the rant.

Current skates (Micron Mega 10-90 w/ lo-and-behold Tuuk):
9D

Best fit so far (Graf 705):
9R

Hopefully the Bauer Supreme One75 follows the same pattern:
9D

Feet
Length: 10-10.5"
Width: 4-4.25"

I am not feeling lucky enough to order Mission of the Internet (It is clearance with no return / no exchange), especially since they will be "different" size.

Will post something if the Bauer Supreme One75 fit well. Would also be damn useful if we had a number of feet length/width + skates brand/size

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Hi there, I'm currently in Easton SE6 skates sized 8.5D and am looking for an upgrade.

I found a sweet deal (let's say under $400) for new CCM U+ Reloaded skates, size 8.5D.

Unfortunately this deal is only available online, and none of the sports stores near me carry this skate so I can't try it on.

I'm not sure if these are going to fit, but they should right? Since both skates are 8.5Ds?

Has anybody gone from the Easton SE line to CCM U+ skates or the other way around by any chance? If so, how did it feel?

Also if anybody just happens to know a lot about these two particular brands then please share some info, as I haven't bought the skates YET, but want to.

Thanks!

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Thanks for info.

CCM U+
Did not have them baked. Was not offered. Seemed like an inexperienced vendor combined with an inexperienced buyer. Sigh.

I find it harder and harder to find specialized equipment in local stores (not just hockey, everything). They just have popular models, little inventory, etc. I do not mind buying off the Internet, but I would rather give my money locally. Anyway, enough with the rant.

Current skates (Micron Mega 10-90 w/ lo-and-behold Tuuk):
9D

Best fit so far (Graf 705):
9R

Hopefully the Bauer Supreme One75 follows the same pattern:
9D

Feet
Length: 10-10.5"
Width: 4-4.25"

I am not feeling lucky enough to order Mission of the Internet (It is clearance with no return / no exchange), especially since they will be "different" size.

Will post something if the Bauer Supreme One75 fit well. Would also be damn useful if we had a number of feet length/width + skates brand/size

Try this thread. It might help you narrow down what you need or should try size wise. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=740011

Going by your Length and width(if you're talking inches and not shoe size) and using a shoe size guide for US sizes, that's around 8.5E shoe which should roughly translate to a 7E skate boot. You could also try a 6.5 and see if you like the extra snug fit (toe might scrape the edge of the toecap, some skaters like this feel inside the boot). I'm guessing you'd probably be better off with a 7. Probably an E and after baking the skate it'll be good to go. However, you could also try a D and see if it crunches too much or not. You could experiment with lacing the skate. Such as doing a snug fit until the ankle area (top 4 eyelets) and do them tight to lock the heel. It might not squeeze your foot as much if that is where the pain is coming from. Also you must remember, you can punch and stretch the skate a bit but can never make it smaller. I'd go small and snug but not uncomfortably so.

Again my numbers are going according to translating a foot width and length in inches to US shoe sizes and roughing out a number. If this is accurate, your 9D is probably too large.

Yes specialty equipment is very hard to find locally many times. The CCM U+ skates HAVE TO BE BAKED. Really there's no choice, if they're not baked you can't even size them properly. They can be baked over and over and molded over and over. When I got mine I baked them, pulled em tight and sat for 15min. Some discomfort in the outer edge of my foot on both sides like the boot was squeezing me too tight there. So I had them baked again real quick and laced them up snug in the forefoot area instead of tight, then I cranked down the last 5 eyelets to lock my heel. I then preceded to push the side of the boot around the painful area, almost like kneeding dough. After a bit of time it seemed I worked in the problem areas. The nice thing is that after I skate in them a time or two I can bake them again and let it conform even better. I've heard some guys do this skate 2-3 times and it gets to be a glove.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hi there, I'm currently in Easton SE6 skates sized 8.5D and am looking for an upgrade.

I found a sweet deal (let's say under $400) for new CCM U+ Reloaded skates, size 8.5D.

Unfortunately this deal is only available online, and none of the sports stores near me carry this skate so I can't try it on.

I'm not sure if these are going to fit, but they should right? Since both skates are 8.5Ds?

Has anybody gone from the Easton SE line to CCM U+ skates or the other way around by any chance? If so, how did it feel?

Also if anybody just happens to know a lot about these two particular brands then please share some info, as I haven't bought the skates YET, but want to.

Thanks!

I have the U+ and have tried on the Easton S17 which is entirely a different skate but hopefully I can help a bit. The Easton fit narrower for me than the CCM. However, the CCM boot must be baked and molded to your foot. Otherwise you don't get the proper fit. The idea with the U Foam is it reacts to heat and expands, it's soft like play dough and you can form it to your foot when you lace them up. The shape is retained in them and they have almost a mold of your foot in the boot's foam. You can re-bake them over and over to help hot spots and pressure points too.

Back to your question, the length seemed the same while the Easton was narrower for me and overall just not as comfortable. I'd try them on at a LHS before buying to make sure.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
I have the U+ and have tried on the Easton S17 which is entirely a different skate but hopefully I can help a bit. The Easton fit narrower for me than the CCM. However, the CCM boot must be baked and molded to your foot. Otherwise you don't get the proper fit. The idea with the U Foam is it reacts to heat and expands, it's soft like play dough and you can form it to your foot when you lace them up. The shape is retained in them and they have almost a mold of your foot in the boot's foam. You can re-bake them over and over to help hot spots and pressure points too.

Back to your question, the length seemed the same while the Easton was narrower for me and overall just not as comfortable. I'd try them on at a LHS before buying to make sure.

Well I'd try them on if I could, but that's my main problem; that I can't.

But anyways, since the U+ skates are so moldable they ought to fit pretty alright even if they are a bit wider right? Maybe I'll just wear some thicker socks or something if it's necessary.

About molding the skates over and over, I'm sure the U-Foam can take it, but I can't imagine that being too good for the skate overall :S

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

But anyways, since the U+ skates are so moldable they ought to fit pretty alright even if they are a bit wider right? Maybe I'll just wear some thicker socks or something if it's necessary.

About molding the skates over and over, I'm sure the U-Foam can take it, but I can't imagine that being too good for the skate overall :S

Well, here's what happens. When you heat the skate up the foam inside expands. Then since it's soft it gives when you place your foot inside. When you lace it up it forms something of a mold of your foot. This mold is held in memory as the skate cools. You have to let it cool for 24hours before skating on it. That allows the glue on the boot to set and the foam to cool and remain in shape. You can bake it repeatedly with no damage because of the constructon. It's designed to do it as long as you leave it set before skating.

Now, since you have no LHS around you to bake them, you'd be doing it on your own which would probably invalidate any warranty through CCM as I believe they require you to have them fitted at an LHS to retain any warranty on the boot.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Well, here's what happens. When you heat the skate up the foam inside expands. Then since it's soft it gives when you place your foot inside. When you lace it up it forms something of a mold of your foot. This mold is held in memory as the skate cools. You have to let it cool for 24hours before skating on it. That allows the glue on the boot to set and the foam to cool and remain in shape. You can bake it repeatedly with no damage because of the constructon. It's designed to do it as long as you leave it set before skating.

Now, since you have no LHS around you to bake them, you'd be doing it on your own which would probably invalidate any warranty through CCM as I believe they require you to have them fitted at an LHS to retain any warranty on the boot.

Yeah well I suppose that's a risk I'm going to have to take. I know a few people who have baked these exact skates with great results though so it's not like I'm going to have no idea how to do it.

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Yeah well I suppose that's a risk I'm going to have to take. I know a few people who have baked these exact skates with great results though so it's not like I'm going to have no idea how to do it.

Right but if you do it too long and it's above the proper temp and then you stick your foot in it and ruin the boot then they might not cover you. I say might because I haven't read anywhere that expressly states one way or the other. They do come with a sticker you're supposed to place on the boot during heating and it tells you when the temperature is right.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Right but if you do it too long and it's above the proper temp and then you stick your foot in it and ruin the boot then they might not cover you. I say might because I haven't read anywhere that expressly states one way or the other. They do come with a sticker you're supposed to place on the boot during heating and it tells you when the temperature is right.

Ok well I'll figure it out,

Hmm...You said they were the same length-wise right? I wonder if I could fit into 8.0Ds...Just found an even better deal :P

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

You'll never bake a skate smaller. If anything it will get wider. If you need to wear thicker socks you're in the wrong boot.

If I were looking at the U+ I would be looking for a shop that has the U+ fit system.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
You'll never bake a skate smaller. If anything it will get wider. If you need to wear thicker socks you're in the wrong boot.

If I were looking at the U+ I would be looking for a shop that has the U+ fit system.

Ok I'm just going to get them, if they fit that's good. If not then I'll re-sell them.
I tried on my Eastons though and I feel like I could use a slightly wider boot anyways, so it should be ok.

cmdrdredd

Feb 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I didn't use the FIT system with mine. The LHS doesn't use it for everyone because not everyone needs to use it. It compresses the boot around your foot more than just lacing them up does and some people like that.

I can go have them baked for free as many times as I need, do you think I should have it done in the FIT system? They have it but they said they use it a lot of times for kids because their feet don't fill out the boot as much as an adult would since most parents leave just a little growing room (half size maybe?). What do you think? I mean they feel good now but does the FIT system really make a big difference?

Hfboards2010

Jan 5, 2010
Try this thread. It might help you narrow down what you need or should try size wise. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=740011

Yes specialty equipment is very hard to find locally many times.

Well I insisted and it paid off.

I gave a phone call to one of the LHS I went to and politely asked them to find me a pair of Bauer Supreme One 75, size: 9D. (Had just bought a pair of boots (10.5 US size) a couple days before so I was pretty sure about the length).

Very happy about them skates and very happy about all the help I received here (and at my LHS). Thanks.

Reference info:
Micron Mega 10-90 /// Size: 9D (Owned)
Graf 705 /// Size: 9R (Tried)
Bauer Supreme One75 /// Size: 9D (Bought)

Boots /// Size: 10.5

Johan Santana

Dec 27, 2009
anyone have any idea how good Mission Fuel 110 XP's are? Are they in the same league as same a Supreme One75 thanks

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
So while I'm on the IR I'm trying to get my buddy into hockey. He has skated before but never really played in a league or nothing. By me, theres inline rinks and open hockey on the weekends that my team and other players from my league attend. I'm a Mission posterboy (pretty much anyway) and really like their products, so I'm going to be telling him to go with Mission. Heres the problem and my question:

He would be playing once a week, for about 3 hours, so I've got these two skates lined up for him. I'd like to keep his total under 150, 125 being ideal. These are the two in question:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-inline-hockey-skates-csx-sr.html?mybuyscid=6855098653
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-inline-hockey-skates-soldier-black-sr.html

I know the Soldier line, and I'd be fine with letting him get those, however is anyone familiar with the CSX line? Is it a decent skate? He has tried on my Wicked 3s and liked the feel(So I'm trying to stay with Mission for him), but he cant spend too much, and still wants to play. I'll be equipping him the rest of the way, but I don't have an extra set of skates for him.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone here skates with RBK 9k pumps?

I need a new skate and I'm going from Graf 705's. I have not heard a lot about the Rbk 9k pumps but they seem attractive.

One thing I'm concerned about is the weight. I remember when Reebok first came out after the lockout that the first pumps seemed heavy. I went from wearing Vapor XX's to Graf's and I absolutely hate the weight difference. I want to go back to a lighter skate that still offers a good comfort level.

I really wanted the 195's but it seems like that the size I need is out of stock nearly everwhere.

If anyone skates on them tell me more and if ANYONE knows about the weight compared to other skates please leave a reply. I'm looking into them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad