Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I see people mention Manson a lot, and while obviously I can see the allure from a scouting perspective, is he really all that good? His advanced stats don't look that special relative to other top young defensemen in the league.

No one should confuse him as a 50-point defender, but he ticks a lot of boxes for us that we currently lack: RHD + physical + top-4.

I value him higher than Parayko. I feel Parayko has that name recognition factor than Manson doesn't.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Just had to post this somewhere. Had to reinstall my computer, and afterwards decided to give Firefox a go as a browser. Wanted to sign in, and got this message:

"The owner of accounts.firefox.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

Yeah, I'm heading back to Chrome.

Tableau Public
My go to chart for leaf defensive needs. It is interesting you say that he might be lifted but least he can be lifted.
Thanks! That's much better than I was led to believe. Heard he was average to below average in pretty much every category, but that's really good.

Nylander for Pesce is the next Hall for Larsson.

No thanks.
Willy is not Hall, and Pesce is honestly two steps up on Larsson. It's not something I hope we're doing, but I wouldn't hate. That's more than I could say for most options that have been brought up.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I would be ok with that provided some salary retention. Likely 4 years of solid service before they find an injury where he has to retire. He likely won't want to play when his salary drops to $1MM.
33 YO coming off knee and foot surgery.

I have no interest in him but I would certainly like to see a significant number of games from him were I interested.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
33 YO coming off knee and foot surgery.

I have no interest in him but I would certainly like to see a significant number of games from him were I interested.
He didn't have a brain replacement. Still a really smart player and I doubt his booming shot is affected

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He didn't have a brain replacement. Still a really smart player and I doubt his booming shot is affected
His booming shot is kinda irrelevant. It's not like we have a crappy PP and miss it. Plus, he'd be second PP.

Also, there have been plenty of smart players who can no longer keep up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Regarding Pesce and Manson...

Two of the guys near the top of my list.

Both teams have 9 points in their first 6 games.

Carolina is top 10 in scoring.
Anaheim isn't, but they are third best in GA/G... so clearly their defense and goal differential is working for them. Though their puck possession has been terrible.

Neither of these teams are currently motivated sellers.

-----------------------------------------------------

The last place team in the league in scoring... Arizona, at 2 goals for, in 4 games... early stuff, but maybe Hjalmarsson might become available, if they continue to struggle? Obviously, not a 1:1 for Nylander at all... Maybe not even involving Nylander... Perhaps for Gardiner, with some additions from the Arizona side?

Suffice to say, if we were making a trade, it's best to look for motivated sellers.

Last edited:

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I really dont understand all the talk about Tanev on this site, hes not all that great.

People are obsessed because he holds the stick in his right hand. If he were a lefty they wouldn't give him a second thought.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People are obsessed because he holds the stick in his right hand. If he were a lefty they wouldn't give him a second thought.

Of course we wouldn't care, if he were a lefty, we don't need one of those.

But, he's a RHD, that we need, that should be available, based on a rebuilding team. By what measurement, does @Sniper99 believe he's not all that great?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can't believe the Tanev debate continues to rage on here lol.

It's the same people sticking up for Tanev, all the time.

It's those same people who don't ever watch him play.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For what it's worth, here are some charts from HockeyViz for a couple of the right handed defensemen mentioned here. We'd be interested in the Isolated column as that their individual impact. The top graph is the offense they create compared to league average and the bottom is the offense they allow. So for example, Ryan Ellis generates 0.9% LESS offense compared to league average defensemen, and he allows 1.1% LESS offense compared to league average. Parayko on the other hand generates 3% MORE offense than league average and allows 8.5% LESS offense compared to league average.

Ryan Ellis:
sixfold-ellisry91-1618.png

Colton Parayko:
sixfold-parayco93-1618.png

Brett Pesce:
sixfold-pescebr94-1618.png

Josh Manson:
sixfold-mansojo91-1618.png

Matt Dumba:
sixfold-dumbama94-1618.png

Jared Spurgeon:
sixfold-spurgja89-1618.png

Rasmus Ristolainen:
sixfold-ristora94-1618.png
wow, interesting tool.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Model Description: Magnus

If you scroll down there's a link for every player in the league. Things to note:

1. It uses data from 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 only
2. It's uses shot generation. If you look at Marner's graphs, they're not good. Reading into the methodology, I think it can be explained by the fact that it's using unblocked shot data, and Marner is actually a really unique player in that he more often than not shoots for a tip rather than try and get pucks on net. It should be pretty reliable for the vast majority of players though.
this tool is great, check out Leafs results, very surprising.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Obviously Nylander would return Tanev plus. I never said Nylander for Tanev straight up.
Nyalnder for Tanev plus... a fully stocked M.A.S.H. unit, AND, 2 1st round draft picks! And that's just the starting point to get Dubas to listen.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Another great tool is GAR. Tableau Public If you go to the Off by Def tab, and sort for D men, it shows on a spectrum, using their methodology for strength of Dmen, on Offense, and Defense...
wow, how do you guys find these sites, very informative, thanks for sharing.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Nylander is more valuable than Gardiner to this team. Trading Nylander for any non-legitimate #1D or #2D is a complete waste.

Reactions: AuGsY

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Here are some safe assumptions:

1. Very few good defenders will be available and on the market.
  2. All GMs will know market conditions and that good defenders are in high demand and very low supply. That will definitely impact these "value" discussions (aka fantasy trades) that we have.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I can't see any good hockey trade that would work for both teams except a deal with Carolina. I would be thrilled to land Pesce. We would have a seriously complete looking team if that happened.

I would prefer we keep Nylander, though.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Realistic:

Nylander for Pesce
Nylander for Parayko
Nylander + Liliegren for Spurgeon + Zucker (win now mode)

Unrealistic:

Nylander for Slavin
Nylander for Lindholm
Nylander for Manson

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
William Nylander
For
Brett Pesce

Then...

Andreas Johnsson & Rasmus Sandin
For