Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Funniest target I've seen was the guy who wanted us to get Brandon Carlo 1-for-1. Forget about Hall for Larsson, that's more like Hall(-) for Schenn.

People are obsessed with handedness. They'll happily lose a trade if it means getting a RHD back.

I could float a Demelo/Ceci for Nylander trade and actually get some support.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
When it comes to contract talks most leafs fans are going off of comparables.

If people think a trade should be based on Nylander being a future 1C or saying he will be in the top 20 in the NHL in a couple years then using Ehlers as a comparable for a long-term contract is beyond insulting to the player.

Does anyone think that Ehlers would bring back McAvoy, Slavin, Provorov, Dahlin or Heiskanen in a trade? And Ehlers is signed for a much cheaper contract than Nylander is holding out for, so he should return more than Nylander if they are as comparable as people are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you are (I say are) moving Nylander for a D, who do you want that D to play with? And if you say Rielly, who gives us the best fit for 8-10 years. Availability plus making a solid pair.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If people think a trade should be based on Nylander being a future 1C or saying he will be in the top 20 in the NHL in a couple years then using Ehlers as a comparable for a long-term contract is beyond insulting to the player.

Does anyone think that Ehlers would bring back McAvoy, Slavin, Provorov, Dahlin or Heiskanen in a trade? And Ehlers is signed for a much cheaper contract than Nylander is holding out for, so he should return more than Nylander if they are as comparable as people are saying.

Those are two different issues. Talent and salary comparables based on previous production are two different things.

Obviously the fans want the team to win negotiations because it gives them more room to maneuver in the future. Is that an idea that you can't grasp?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
You don't think a RHD is key ?

Babcock does.

I think it gets overstated at times. They aren't running a right side D of Zaitsev/Ozhiganov/Holl. If they were working under something close to Team Canada conditions (big talent pool to choose from, no cap), I'd imagine 3 LHD and 3 RHD is the ideal aim. The salary cap NHL is a different thing. Much depends on the team's desire to trade and the options available for that.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Those are two different issues. Talent and salary comparables based on previous production are two different things.

Any long term contract includes projecting into the future.

Obviously the fans want the team to win negotiations because it gives them more room to maneuver in the future. Is that an idea that you can't grasp?

Go read through the more than a dozen threads on Nylander's contract negotiations on HF/Leafs. There Nylander is greedy and not worth what he is (based on rumors) asking for. There a contract in line with his comparables based on previous production is not a win, but fair. Here - when trade talks are involved - he is way better than those same comparables.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Funniest target I've seen was the guy who wanted us to get Brandon Carlo 1-for-1. Forget about Hall for Larsson, that's more like Hall(-) for Schenn.
The absolute least I would want in a return is something like

Nylander + 2019 3rd

Nino+Brodin

I would try and find a way to get zucker instead of Nino by maybe adding a prospect like grundstrom to the deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm not much of a fan of Ehlers, but he has better stats than Nylander. I am a huge fan of Pastrnak, wouldn't even think of trading him for Slavin.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Pesce, Williams and a secondrounder.

Nylander - Sveshnikov

Last edited:

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Screw a dman. More offence. make it undeniable. Nylander for Panarin or bust

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Rasmus Dahlin, Alexander Nylander and Jack Eichel for William Nylander and Auston Matthews? Cap space solved.

Last edited:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I think forget about the idea the Hall/Larsson trade changed the market forever, it did not. Chia was a moron and it backfired. No other GM will ever pay that for someone like Larsson again.
I think we can get a good, cost-efficient D that has a chance at being a top-pairing D for a good young winger.,

What evidence to you have to support this? I don't remember many first line wingers being moved for D. Teams are not lining up to give up top pairing D.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
You don't think a RHD is key ?

Babcock does.

Both Stanley Cup Finalists last year only had two RHD.

Yes, ideally we'd have a proper balance on all three defence pairings, but I do think it's an exaggerated requirement.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Yes, ideally we'd have a proper balance on all three defence pairings, but I do think it's an exaggerated requirement.
It's a very exaggerated requirement indeed. People who get their panties in a bunch over an imbalance of LHD/RHD should just look at the bigger picture. LHD playing the right side is not some new phenomenon, it's a very doable transition for a good amount of LHD's in the league.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

People can look at handedness all day, the fact is when Ron Hainsey is on your top pairing, you're in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->