Which Defenseman will be high on the Leafs radar if Nylander is traded?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
You're overrating Pesce because of how many minutes he plays. He's not a legit top pairing dman, not that Nylander can currently land that. He's good but he isn't worth moving a potential star like Nylander for. Unless you wanna go the Hall <--> Larsson route then sure, knock yourself out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed, there must be a solid +, but Pesce would be a great add.

Pesce and Gauthier+2nd for Nylander+Rasanen+Zaitsev

Hard to know what the plus is but I kind of think that Matthews and Tavares like Crosby and Malkin in that their wingers will produce.

Defense? You can't fake that. Rielly is a top pairing guy but not someone that can carry a pairing like Chara, Pronger, Weber etc has. Hainsey will fizzle out at some point due to age. Pesce shores up a key component of our roster, and at a great price long term.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If I was doing any kind of a deal with Carolina for Pesce I'd want Janne Kuokkanen in the deal as well. 20 year old that plays center and left wing and is signed on his ELC through 2020-2021. Decent size at 6'1, 190lbs and had a really nice first year in Charlotte last year with 40 points in 60 GP. Already has 5 points through 4 games this year and from everything I've read, there are hopes that he'll be near PPG this year... Should be damn near NHL ready a ready a year from now. Top 6 upside and a sure bet for the 3rd line if not.

I'd still rather keep Nylander, but I wouldn't be mad about Pesce + Kuokkanen if Dubas can't lock Willy up at a term and amount Toronto is happy with.

Obviously I like Gauthier's size, but I'm not so sure that Kuokkanen won't end up being the better NHL'er. He's a year younger and was 15 points more productive last year in Charlotte, despite playing 5 less games... Not that one year is a big enough sample size at this point.

Hell...

Nylander
Brown

For

Pesce
Kuokkanen
Gauthier

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think Pesce+ is the ticket.

I highly doubt there will be a + (perhaps if it is something like a late draft choice). If the Leafs can't sign Nylander then it is because of his contract demands - and those demands decrease his value. Carolina has a lot of cap space, but they also have a lot of important players to resign next summer.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If I was doing any kind of a deal with Carolina for Pesce I'd want Janne Kuokkanen in the deal as well.

Hell...

Nylander
Brown

For

Pesce
Kuokkanen
Gauthier

If Dubas could pull something like that off then it would be amazing.

I am pretty sure that Carolina laughs at either offer and says - "No thanks - you can keep the guy that you can't afford to sign."

Players have value. So do contracts. Pesce's contract increases his value. Kuokkanen and Gauthier are on ELCs. Nylander's contract demands decrease his value.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I highly doubt there will be a + (perhaps if it is something like a late draft choice). If the Leafs can't sign Nylander then it is because of his contract demands - and those demands decrease his value. Carolina has a lot of cap space, but they also have a lot of important players to resign next summer.

Carolina apparently keenly interested, as an RFA they're allowed to talk contract with Lewis about Nylander's contract demands. If they keep asking about him they are probably fine with the contract.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
I would like to get Luostarinen as the add on to Pesce. He’s a good centre prospect which is an area of weakness for us. He could make Kadri expendable in a few years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's gotta be Parayko. If they continue to slide, something could change there. It's a good fit to me if and only if the Blues tank and we sign Nylander.

We know what a Rielly and Parayko pairing looks like.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Carolina apparently keenly interested, as an RFA they're allowed to talk contract with Lewis about Nylander's contract demands. If they keep asking about him they are probably fine with the contract.

If they keep asking then yes they are probably fine with the contract, but that doesn't mean that they are willing to trade a lot.
For instance, If I assume that Carolina knows what Nylander wants and feel they could get a contract signed with him, then I also have to assume that the contract is more than Toronto can afford, and probably more than most other teams in the league can afford. So if they believe that a deal is only likely to occur with a team that can a) meet Nylander's demands and b) has an asset that Toronto wants, then why are they going to add anything significant?

Toronto gets a RHD who fills a need on an affordable contract for the next 6 years and that also frees up contract space for signing other players.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
You're overrating Pesce because of how many minutes he plays. He's not a legit top pairing dman, not that Nylander can currently land that. He's good but he isn't worth moving a potential star like Nylander for. Unless you wanna go the Hall <--> Larsson route then sure, knock yourself out.

I'm with you on this. The player who gets the best player in the deal usually always wins the trade.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Nylander + 2019 First round pick for Parayko

If he's available, which seems unlikely. With that said, it's clear something is wrong in St. Louis, not sure how this affects Parayko.

Parayko is pretty much the only guy they could or should target.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Funniest target I've seen was the guy who wanted us to get Brandon Carlo 1-for-1. Forget about Hall for Larsson, that's more like Hall(-) for Schenn.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Ristolainen. Sabres fans have turned on him and will blame him before Jack or Dahlin. He needs a change of scenery badly

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Every single dman listed in this thread is the type of return you face palm at 5 years from now when Willy is a top 20 player in the league and that dman is no longer hear cause they couldn’t cut it on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Razz

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
You guys can have Ceci, may need to add to Nylander though ;)

All jokes aside I think Pesce would be a good addition and you would get the best deal off the Canes.

The only thing is hes still young, you guys already have some young D with potential. Wouldn’t you want an older one (26 or so) as a win now thing?

Reactions: iSophagus

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McAvoy, Slavin, Provorov, Dahlin, Heiskanen

End of list

Four Left handed guys... it's almost like the reality that we need a RHD is completely ignored. These are all great young D, though completely unavailable, and unless you are trading Matthews, you aren't getting them. Nylander doesn't come close to these guys for the most part.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Four Left handed guys... it's almost like the reality that we need a RHD is completely ignored. These are all great young D, though completely unavailable, and unless you are trading Matthews, you aren't getting them. Nylander doesn't come close to these guys for the most part.

First of all, you don't trade down for a right handed guy just because that's the need. That's how you lose trades. That's what's really being ignored.

Secondly, there's a reason forwards get paid more than defencemen and only elite defencemen get paid on par with forwards. That's because forwards have far more impact on the game. If the leafs don't want to lose a trade then this is the list of guys to target.

If you don't mind the leafs losing badly on a trade, then feel free to add your Pesces and Montours etc etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->