Which current Habs roster player has the most trade value?

Guess which current Habs roster player has the most trade value

• Total voters

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I still say it's Weber. Before anyone says "terrible contract" you need to actually look at the details. No chance he plays the final 3 years at 1M per and doubtful he even plays for 3M in 2022/23, unless he's still healthy and on a good team.

I laugh at people who think he's going to retire and stick the cap hit to nashville. He'll just LTIR'e and collect paychecks in 4 years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
his contract is not fine unless he's back to putting up 20 goals and playing great defense. Missing a full year of hockey at 33 should give any team doubts about taking on such a huge cap hit. 6M a year for the next 4 years is a decent amount of money to be on the hook for, plus 6M if he doesn't retire after that while eating up a lot of cap space. Also it's been said that Weber has the same foot injury that Peter Forsberg had so that's got to make teams leary to some degree.

Well to be fair montreal it's not complicated.

Most teams aren't cap teams and their wiggle room is very dependent on the actual salary in some cases.

The issues you brought up aren't true issues for me. He makes 7.4 on the cap.

Guys like Brady Skjei make over 5 these days. Paying Weber, an actual #1 6 mil a year for 4 years isn't bad...

If weber goes on LTIR with a Forsberg like injury that saves people, not hurts them.

End of the day what they should worry about is whether he can be good after the 4 years.

IMO, Weber's price tag will not be as if he's 25, I think we agree there. As such that's why he's not #1 on my list either but his cap is very manageable IMO. After that I doubt he has intention to play to 40s. If he retires early it's Nashville's problem. If he goes on LTIR it won't count against the cap.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I am at a loss to see how Pacioretty isn't at the top of this poll. He's the best goal scorer on the team, he's priced to sell and he's not injured like Weber.

one year contract

Both Weber and Price's value will go up (if they play at normal level and ok from injury) by the simple fact that both will have a significant chunk already paid on their contracts, putting their actual salaries much lower than their cap hit.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
By "priced to sell" I mean his contract isn't exorbitant. I know he's looking to get paid on his next deal but to do that he'd have to perform at a higher level than what he did last season. For the acquiring team it's a potential win-win.

Priced to sell means it's a good deal for the buyer, no? It's hard to see how he would have the best trade value for the Habs since the team acquiring him is likely going to get one of the leagues top goal scorers for minimal assets.

To me that's the opposite of good trade value, the team acquiring him is likely getting him at a discount.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Priced to sell means it's a good deal for the buyer, no? It's hard to see how he would have the best trade value for the Habs since the team acquiring him is likely going to get one of the leagues top goal scorers for minimal assets.

To me that's the opposite of good trade value, the team acquiring him is likely getting him at a discount.
It doesn't mean that the acquiring team is going to get him for peanuts; it means that they will be getting a consistent 30 goal scorer without having to pay McDavid prices to get him. Max is effectively "on sale", like an overripe tomato at the supermarket.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It doesn't mean that the acquiring team is going to get him for peanuts; it means that they will be getting a consistent 30 goal scorer without having to pay McDavid prices to get him. Max is effectively "on sale", like an overripe tomato at the supermarket.

Exactly he's being sold at a discount, which is not good trade value.

Reactions: Rapala

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Most teams aren't cap teams and their wiggle room is very dependent on the actual salary in some cases.

Guys like Brady Skjei make over 5 these days. Paying Weber, an actual #1 6 mil a year for 4 years isn't bad...

If weber goes on LTIR with a Forsberg like injury that saves people, not hurts them.

End of the day what they should worry about is whether he can be good after the 4 years.

IMO, Weber's price tag will not be as if he's 25, I think we agree there. As such that's why he's not #1 on my list either but his cap is very manageable IMO. After that I doubt he has intention to play to 40s. If he retires early it's Nashville's problem. If he goes on LTIR it won't count against the cap.

What teams do you think would be interested in Weber, then take a look at how much cap room they have.

And Weber's cap hit is 7,857,143.

The problem isn't paying Weber 6M for 4 years, it's what level is he going to be playing at over those 4 years at age 33 to 36. So if he's going to have the highest trade value or even top 5, teams aren't going to want to take on such a huge cap hit for a 33 year old with 8 years left and concerns about injuries unless they see the injury hasn't impacted his game and the injuries aren't chronic.

As for LITR, it certainly doesn't help teams. Think about it, why would a team trade for Weber? Because they want to make the playoffs, try to win a cup, no? So what good does paying a decent price for a top pairing D do for you if he's on LITR? Yes they get extra cap space in a sense, they can go over the cap for the time he's on LITR, but then they need to get back under when he returns. Plus it's not going to be easy to just replace a top pairing D. If you trade for one then it's just going to cost more assets and then you will have to trade someone if/when he comes back.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about the final 4 years, I would worry about the next 4. At 3, and then 1M for the final 3 years. It's only 6M in salary and he could easy just retire at 37 or 38 after making over 100M.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I know the contract is large, but I’d say carey price easily has the most trade value. He can turn a franchise around when he’s on

People will low ball the **** out of any trade involving gally. You guys underestimate how much other gms would pay for carey price. Sure some teams would avoid the contract but think of all the teams with piss poor goaltending like carolina, arizona, avs, philly, buffalo, canucks, islanders, stars, blues, calgary, detroit... some of these teams are one carey price away from being extremely competitive..
Why. He’s never been good in the playoffs.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I believe Price has the most value, followed by Gallagher and Weber.

I think a couple of GM's of teams on the brink of a playoff presence would bet very high on Carey Price pushing their team over the hump and taking them far into the playoffs. And I'd agree with them, as I think he has at the very least one Vezina-nominee caliber season in him.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What teams do you think would be interested in Weber, then take a look at how much cap room they have.

And Weber's cap hit is 7,857,143.

The problem isn't paying Weber 6M for 4 years, it's what level is he going to be playing at over those 4 years at age 33 to 36. So if he's going to have the highest trade value or even top 5, teams aren't going to want to take on such a huge cap hit for a 33 year old with 8 years left and concerns about injuries unless they see the injury hasn't impacted his game and the injuries aren't chronic.

As for LITR, it certainly doesn't help teams. Think about it, why would a team trade for Weber? Because they want to make the playoffs, try to win a cup, no? So what good does paying a decent price for a top pairing D do for you if he's on LITR? Yes they get extra cap space in a sense, they can go over the cap for the time he's on LITR, but then they need to get back under when he returns. Plus it's not going to be easy to just replace a top pairing D. If you trade for one then it's just going to cost more assets and then you will have to trade someone if/when he comes back.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about the final 4 years, I would worry about the next 4. At 3, and then 1M for the final 3 years. It's only 6M in salary and he could easy just retire at 37 or 38 after making over 100M.

You're right on cap, I thought it was slightly lower.

All I know is a guy like Pronger (who I consider better but similar style in the sense they relied more on physicality and less on rushing the puck) was traded for big returns both at 32 and 35. Of course at the time Pronger was not injured so that helped his value. I just see that guys like Pronger, Blake, etc... being examples of how a guy like Weber will be fine to into his mid 30s at very least.

My LTIR comment was that if he wanted to play out his contract and actually cannot do to injury the team can put him on LTIR and cut him from the cap. Look at Hossa's unofficial retirement.

Now I don't expect someone to buy on Weber today so maybe that's the divide here. IMO, he will need to come back first and show he's fine. After that a team will value him as our 4th best asset.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's a distant second however !

Yeah, I'm surprised and not at the same time. Weber doesn't carry a good reputation around these parts but he likely wouls if we didn't trade who we did for him.

That said, even with the injury, I cant see how a small winger who's career high is still lower than Webers could have more value. They're basically at opposite ends of the spectrum on the trade market. Gallagher's part of a group who probably hold the least value as opposed to Weber as a minute munching RD who can score 20 goals.

On the open market, Weber would get at least 9M, so his cap hit is far from a problem. A team that wants to, even a contender, wouldn't have too much trouble fitting him in. And for a team like that, what's a 1st, 2nd a some prospects if you can get a player of his caliber.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Shea Weber isn't my choice, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that at least 18% people understand he doesn't hold negative value and that his contract is actually solid. Also glad to see that 0% next to Petry. A number that suits him well.

I think overall in the league Gallagher would hold the most value on the Habs roster. That's RIGHT NOW. But during the season, guys like Domi, Pacioretty and Drouin can literally change this script almost every month.

With that said, I think the greatest package the Habs could get could potentially be for Price if all the stars aligned. Goalies don't traditionally bring great returns and the contract is an issue. It would take extraordinary circumstances but it takes only 2-3 teams chasing the same missing piece at the right moment to get a much better return than what most other Habs are worth.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I believe Price has the most value, followed by Gallagher and Weber.

I think a couple of GM's of teams on the brink of a playoff presence would bet very high on Carey Price pushing their team over the hump and taking them far into the playoffs. And I'd agree with them, as I think he has at the very least one Vezina-nominee caliber season in him.

The actual salary is gonna be a hurdle at least until next July 1st.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Price is the expensive lakefront house with a swimming pool. Very expensive, few potential buyers, but when it eventually sells, it will go for a pretty penny.

Gallagher is the nice house in the sub-division, near a park and good school. Would sell in days but won't go for as much as the lakefront home.

Price is expensive, but elite. Gallagher is very good, but not elite. Weber was elite 4 years ago, and is currently injured.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

I don't think that the bolded is quite right. I think it is closer to the following:

"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. "

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I think this is the way it works, but am not 100% sure. Any capologists who know for sure? Thx ...

If MB is spending $8M under the cap as he is now, Weber's cap would still count and it would just close the gap to the cap maximum. That doesn't seem like something Molson would want if he is trying to save a few bucks during a rebuild. That is, assuming Molson really does want to commit to spend to the max cap limit to improve the team with active players. Interesting scenario in four years, paying $1M in salary to a Weber on LTIR while possibly acquiring $7.8M in cap relief that could exceed the upper limit.

If Weber is put on LTIR, and his salary being far less than his cap, he looks like he'd be useful trade for a team trying to save money while just spending to the cap floor, and not trying to improve during the outstanding length of his contract ... but how many teams like that are there? Few if any. The other trade option is if he is on LTIR and traded to a team that is already close to the cap maximum who are trying to dump a dud player, like as in the Horton case, but then the Habs get stuck with the dud player.

However, somebody is going to eat the cap amount for the length of the contract if Weber goes on LTIR.

PS: As an added note, the cap floor in 2017 was $55.4M ... while the lowest projected cap hit of all teams is Carolina and New Jersey at $61M. There are no other teams that would gain from acquiring a $7.8M contract to reach cap floor, they'd already be past any advantage point.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't think that the bolded is quite right. I think it is closer to the following:

"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. "

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I think this is the way it works, but am not 100% sure. Any capologists who know for sure? Thx ...

If MB is spending $8M under the cap as he is now, Weber's cap would still count and it would just close the gap to the cap maximum. That doesn't seem like something Molson would want if he is trying to save a few bucks during a rebuild. That is, assuming Molson really does want to commit to spend to the max cap limit to improve the team with active players. Interesting scenario in four years, paying $1M in salary to a Weber on LTIR while possibly acquiring $7.8M in cap relief that could exceed the upper limit.

If Weber is put on LTIR, and his salary being far less than his cap, he looks like he'd be useful trade for a team trying to save money while just spending to the cap floor, and not trying to improve during the outstanding length of his contract ... but how many teams like that are there? Few if any. The other trade option is if he is on LTIR and traded to a team that is already close to the cap maximum who are trying to dump a dud player, like as in the Horton case, but then the Habs get stuck with the dud player.

However, somebody is going to eat the cap amount for the length of the contract if Weber goes on LTIR.

PS: As an added note, the cap floor in 2017 was $55.4M ... while the lowest projected cap hit of all teams is Carolina and New Jersey at $61M. There are no other teams that would gain from acquiring a $7.8M contract to reach cap floor, they'd already be past any advantage point.

Even by this description in the end it ends up same thing. If you want to spend the cap, it's there. If you don't need the relief it doesn't apply I guess...but if you want to use it...you can.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Even by this description in the end it ends up same thing. If you want to spend the cap, it's there. If you don't need the relief it doesn't apply I guess...but if you want to use it...you can.

It doesn't disappear or go off the cap total, Molson still has to pay it.

But yes as in ... it won't hurt the Habs if they want to exceed the cap limit by that amount for cap hits of other players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad