Which current Habs roster player has the most trade value?

Guess which current Habs roster player has the most trade value

• Total voters

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I know the contract is large, but I’d say carey price easily has the most trade value. He can turn a franchise around when he’s on

People will low ball the shit out of any trade involving gally. You guys underestimate how much other gms would pay for carey price. Sure some teams would avoid the contract but think of all the teams with piss poor goaltending like carolina, arizona, avs, philly, buffalo, canucks, islanders, stars, blues, calgary, detroit... some of these teams are one carey price away from being extremely competitive..

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Price could gain back his value if he bounces back. People said the same thing about Kopitar. However, icing a terrible defense doesn't help him at all so who knows.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I know the contract is large, but I’d say carey price easily has the most trade value. He can turn a franchise around when he’s on

People will low ball the **** out of any trade involving gally. You guys underestimate how much other gms would pay for carey price. Sure some teams would avoid the contract but think of all the teams with piss poor goaltending like carolina, arizona, avs, philly, buffalo, canucks, islanders, stars, blues, calgary, detroit... some of these teams are one carey price away from being extremely competitive..

Goalies generally don't have tremendous trade value as is.

Price is expensive, signed long term and injury prone as of late.

He has value but given he's a goalie I'm not expecting much.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I'd say Gallagher. I'm not really sure what the market on Weber would be to be honest. I think he's still a solid middle of the pack #1 D, but the age, injury concerns, and contract probably detract from that value quite a bit.

If Gallagher posts a similar season to what he had last year, then he will be far and away the most 'valuable' IMO.

Also, I'll point out how odd it is that Hudon and Lehkonen are actually poll options. They shouldn't receive a single vote in all honesty. Not that they're bad players, but they're just not in the conversation at this point.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I’d say Gallagher because of his contract.

Gallagher's a guy every team in the league would make an offer for, but I can't see anyone being desperate for a Gallagher, so it's unlikely you'd get an amazing return.

With Price & Weber, even though there might only be a few teams interested in them, they'd likely be desperate and therefore willing to give up something really big in return.

So I guess it depends on how you define trade value.

Reactions: bsl

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gallagher's a guy every team in the league would make an offer for, but I can't see anyone being desperate for a Gallagher, so it's unlikely you'd get an amazing return.

With Price & Weber, even though there might only be a few teams interested in them, they'd likely be desperate and therefore willing to give up something really big in return.

Gallagher, as you said, would yield a desperate return. As good as he is, he's not elite at anything. He's a top 6 player who scored 30 goals once.

Weber, he's out till December, so his value is probably pretty low right now.
Price, he's been struggling with injuries and absolutely sucked last year, this coinciding with the biggest goalie contract ever awarded that's kicking in this year. I've been arguing for a while that I'm convinced there would be takers for Price willing to give up some good return.
To me though, Pacioretty remains the biggest draw. He's a natural goal scorer pretty much a surefire bet to hit 30. One of the best scoring wingers over the past 6ish years. He's big, he's fast, he can play in every situation. He's not without flaw, he is a perimeter player and while he's big, he doesn't really use his size to his advantage much.
But he is a top line winger that will guarantee you goal scoring. There is no question about that despite flaws. Even if he has some flaws and only a year left, I think he's the most valuable player.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think it is Weber by a fair margin too.

I think Price is last on this list, his contract has him in negative value territory, you almost need to retain and to add a sweetener for someone to take on his 10.5 million caphit and right now, you would need a rich team to pay the signing bonus, limiting your options even further.

Reactions: DAChampion

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Good point. It's the percentage game of swinging away versus going for a single. I voted Gallagher because more teams will be interested, thus more chances of finding the right return. Weber or Price are potential homerun swings, but I'm not confident in Bergevin as the batter.

Reactions: Sorinth

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I am at a loss to see how Pacioretty isn't at the top of this poll. He's the best goal scorer on the team, he's priced to sell and he's not injured like Weber.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I am at a loss to see how Pacioretty isn't at the top of this poll. He's the best goal scorer on the team, he's priced to sell and he's not injured like Weber.

For me the way I decided was Pacioretty's expiring contract, and the down year he is coming off. I argued between him and Gallagher for my vote. Ultimately what made my decision go to gallagher was that every single playoff team would want Gallagher and it's not really a question. I believe that some playoff teams would happily take a miss on Patch, but if you said Gallagher is available at the deadline, there would be a war.

Reactions: DAChampion

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Gally B for sure, Patches after and then probably BYRON?? Hes cheap and puts up points

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price.

his reputation across the league is pretty considerable based on everything i hear. I don't think the 1 bad season has hurt that, at least not nearly as much as HF seems to think so.

Gallagher is great and all but he's not a high profile player. On a great team he's maybe a 3rd liner, 2nd liner at best. He has value but it doesn't compare to Price

I know Price is paid a lot and I know goalies in general don't go for a lot in a trade - but I think all things considered for the right team/trade Price could fetch a HUGE haul. No other player could.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Doesn't that imply he has low trade value from a habs POV?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Gallagher is great and all but he's not a high profile player. On a great team he's maybe a 3rd liner, 2nd liner at best. He has value but it doesn't compare to Price

What team in the league would he be a 3rd liner?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What team in the league would he be a 3rd liner?

Winnipeg for 1. Behind Laine and Wheeler.

i'm sure there might be a couple more teams.

The point is we're not talking about a top 50 player in the NHL - possibly not even a top 100 player in the NHL. His value is decent, but his value isn't as high as you would get for a top player. Carey Price is a top goalie and not too long ago was seen as an absolute top overall player too. Depending on how you guess his recent struggles have affected his value - he still had the potential to fetch the most as an asset.

Weber might even fetch more than Gallagher - though it's more complicated with his current injury.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't that imply he has low trade value from a habs POV?
By "priced to sell" I mean his contract isn't exorbitant. I know he's looking to get paid on his next deal but to do that he'd have to perform at a higher level than what he did last season. For the acquiring team it's a potential win-win.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Weber pretty easily. He would fetch a lot from a contending team and his contract is not bad at all. It's a 80 millions cap league.

I understand those who says Gallagher, but it's more of his value will never get higher and might be the best return on investment right now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I got Gallagher and Pac as 1 &2, I got Drouin as #3 then Weber as #4.

Being owed 30 million over 8 years isn't much, why is that a terrible contract?

His contract is fine, if he retires early it's Nashville's problem anyway.

his contract is not fine unless he's back to putting up 20 goals and playing great defense. Missing a full year of hockey at 33 should give any team doubts about taking on such a huge cap hit. 6M a year for the next 4 years is a decent amount of money to be on the hook for, plus 6M if he doesn't retire after that while eating up a lot of cap space. Also it's been said that Weber has the same foot injury that Peter Forsberg had so that's got to make teams leary to some degree.

I still say it's Weber. Before anyone says "terrible contract" you need to actually look at the details. No chance he plays the final 3 years at 1M per and doubtful he even plays for 3M in 2022/23, unless he's still healthy and on a good team.

His contract is terrible. Take a look at capfriendly and see how many teams can take on almost 8M cap hit for the next 8 years. Now if we retain that's different but I didn't factor that in cause that opens a can of worms. I mean if you retain 50% on Price he is going to have a lot more value but no way would the Habs eat 5.25M for 8 years. If we retained 50% on Weber he would be a steal unless his knee and or foot have turned to glass.

People will low ball the **** out of any trade involving gally. You guys underestimate how much other gms would pay for carey price. Sure some teams would avoid the contract but think of all the teams with piss poor goaltending like carolina, arizona, avs, philly, buffalo, canucks, islanders, stars, blues, calgary, detroit... some of these teams are one carey price away from being extremely competitive..

It's not large though, it's one of the biggest contracts in the NHL. 84M is a shit ton to take on, and with goalies not having a lot of value, and teams would have to make an investment of 8 years and all that money/cap hit (his contract is front loaded, almost 53M in the first 4 years, 15, 15, 9.75, 13) all while coming off the worst season of his career and he's not been the same since his knee injury.

So I'm sure several teams would kick the tires, but the return wouldn't be that good imo until he shows he's healthy and back to his former self. Not many teams can take on 10.5M cap hit that would need him and don't have internal salary limits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad