Where's MacT?

McDeathbyCheerios*

The current management structure seems like too many people are involved.

POHO & GM - Peter Chiarelli
"Second in all aspects" - Craig MacTavish
Sr VP of HO - Scott Howson
Assistant GM - Bill Scott

Maybe it'll get cleaned up after the draft? I hate that MacTavish and Howson are still here. Hopefully this is Chiarelli's decision only and not something forced on him.
It's a weird time for him to come in. He doesn't really know the scouts or anyone else in the management structure other then Nicholson. He is probably doing due diligence and keeping guys around till at least the draft.

Even if he wanted other people, lots of teams are still operating, maybe he wants to wait till the summer before changing more things. You know, when more people are available to poach, interview etc

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Basically he's there still because he's best buds with Daryl. If this is the case, I'm legit worried since it means Chiarelli doesn't have full control of who he can hire and let go. The best case scenario is the one where he's just a figurehead and doesn't have say in anything but is kept around and treated like a mascot or something because Katz.

Nicholson made it clear that MacTavishs' future was up to Chiarelli.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The current management structure seems like too many people are involved.

POHO & GM - Peter Chiarelli
"Second in all aspects" - Craig MacTavish
Sr VP of HO - Scott Howson
Assistant GM - Bill Scott

Maybe it'll get cleaned up after the draft? I hate that MacTavish and Howson are still here. Hopefully this is Chiarelli's decision only and not something forced on him.

Too many people or not the right ones? That's not an overly managed organization IMO.

I have a feeling that Howson may get the axe at some point close by. That would make 3.

Telus and Shaw are overly managed corporations. Their structure dwarfs ours by comparison.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I imagine him just having the same role he had before being named GM, 'senior advisor'.

Just there, hanging around management, another voice when they all talk about potential trades and signings.

this is likely accurate.... he'll be another voice... consistently saying the wrong things, and trying to convince people that schultz is only a year away from winning the norris... having macT as "only" a voice in the room is a very bad thing... pretending that it isn't a negative is to ignore the last few years and pretend that everything will be roses... the reality is history has taught us that the OBC will continue to hold sway within the organization, no matter what title they are given

only when macT is shot out of a cannon into the sun (read: not part of the oilers organization in any way whatsoever) will i be happy and content that his idiocy won't cause more harm to the team

McDeathbyCheerios*

this is likely accurate.... he'll be another voice... consistently saying the wrong things, and trying to convince people that schultz is only a year away from winning the norris... having macT as "only" a voice in the room is a very bad thing... pretending that it isn't a negative is to ignore the last few years and pretend that everything will be roses... the reality is history has taught us that the OBC will continue to hold sway within the organization, no matter what title they are given

only when macT is shot out of a cannon into the sun (read: not part of the oilers organization in any way whatsoever) will i be happy and content that his idiocy won't cause more harm to the team
Then keep being angry and bitter

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

MacT is ok as a secondary guy imo. He did a good job bringing in guys like Pouliot and Fayne. He just needs someone above him to step in and say no to guys like Nikitin and Eakins

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
MacT is ok as a secondary guy imo. He did a good job bringing in guys like Pouliot and Fayne. He just needs someone above him to step in and say no to guys like Nikitin and Eakins

To me it also demonstrates more of what I've heard about PC. That he doesn't have a big ego and it's not all about him, it's about what's best for the team. He seems to get the human element of it while still asserting himself when needed. Sure, he might end up clearing house but it makes logical sense to take some time to evaluate the situation rather than just power trip and fire everyone right away to assert his dominance. He's in control, no need to drop the hammer until it's warranted.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

His biggest mistake was Eakins IMO, his 2nd biggest was prioritizing Schultz over Petry, I lay 85% of the blame of Nikitin on Scott Howson. As GM you can't make every decision and I can only assume he let Scott dictate most of that situation, the combination of Nikitin not coming into camp fit (which is a character issue that having had him so long in Columbus, Howson should of known about before gambling on him) on top of an early season injury made him a really bad pick-up. I'm happy about the acquisition of Pouliot, Fayne, Gordon, and Hendricks those are all good player who compliment our weaknesses and add more of a good veteran presence in the room.

McDeathbyCheerios*

don't worry, as long as macT is part of the "hockey decision team", i will.... and you should be too!

i have no idea how more people aren't up in arms over this idiot still having input in to hockey decisions.... what more evidence do you all need that macT is a buffoon?
Is Perry a horrible player cause he couldn't handle top pairing minutes? No. He was in over his head and made mistakes.

MacT should of been no higher then assistant gm. He was in over his head.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
His biggest mistake was Eakins IMO, his 2nd biggest was prioritizing Schultz over Petry, I lay 85% of the blame of Nikitin on Scott Howson. As GM you can't make every decision and I can only assume he let Scott dictate most of that situation, the combination of Nikitin not coming into camp fit (which is a character issue that having had him so long in Columbus, Howson should of known about before gambling on him) on top of an early season injury made him a really bad pick-up. I'm happy about the acquisition of Pouliot, Fayne, Gordon, and Hendricks those are all good player who compliment our weaknesses and add more of a good veteran presence in the room.

More generally his biggest mistake was coaching decisions There was no reason to fire Krueger. Eakins was clearly a terrible mistake. Why did he keep Smith, Buchberger and Chabot? The only thing he did kinda right was bringing in Todd Nelson.

Defense was terribly handled. The Ference and Nikitin signings were both terribad.

He wasn't all bad, but was out of his depth. He might learn under Chia and eventually get a GM job again somewhere down the road. Maybe. Unlikely.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
don't worry, as long as macT is part of the "hockey decision team", i will.... and you should be too!

i have no idea how more people aren't up in arms over this idiot still having input in to hockey decisions.... what more evidence do you all need that macT is a buffoon?

I think the evidence is that Chiarelli, who as far as I know has one more Cup than "jadeddog" at HFBoards, has decided to keep him around for now.

Keep talking about the "OBC" and then tell us how the government is controlling us through our fillings. Obviously the "OBC" is no longer a thing.

But your irrational hatred and bitterness won't let you see that.

I'm curious to hear (and while I can't see your post history right now, I'll be able to look it up later) what you thought of the Chiarelli hiring before today. And if your opinion has now changed, how? What is it that Connor McDavid or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will do differently if Craig MacTavish is in the arena or on scouting trips? It will be interesting to hear if your hate has any basis in this current team, which as we all know is much different than it was two weeks ago.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think the evidence is that Chiarelli, who as far as I know has one more Cup than "jadeddog" at HFBoards, has decided to keep him around for now.

Brilliant.

What's MacTs contract status? I think he's starting the final year of his deal, but can't remember for sure. It's not like any team was going to pick him up and relieve the Oilers of his salary. I think he'll be like Pat Quinn. Spend a year in obscurity. Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations is a perfect do nothing title. Then he can slowly fade into oblivion.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I think part of it is that Chia and the org didn't want to embarrass MacT (too much) and allow him to retain a little bit of dignity by asking him to stay on in a secondary role. Apparently, even he was surprised at what happened, and looking at the whole situation objectively, it looks kind of bad on the org to hire a guy and give him full power when the current gm is still there.

I would have more sympathy for MacT if he hadn't screwed up as much as he did, though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He's the equivalent of Mr. Bigglesworth at this point.....

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hes not just going to ignore what MacT has to say, regardless of what people hope for. MacT will have influence on PC's decisions along with Scott Howson and the rest of the 20 managers. Thats like you hanging out with someone who is a bad influence, eventually they will impact your decisions.

If MacT comes up with stupid stuff then you had better believe that he will brush it off. However as I see it where he could help or at least get Chia up to speed is in terms of potential trades that were offered or rejected by opposing GM's, which areas Craig felt needed improvement, etc. Let's be honest, Chia has a TON of stuff to do and a limited time to do it. Hell Burke didn't turf Feaster right away either, he kept him around and likely milked him of whatever value/information he could and then sent him down the river.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's also kind of funny that since MacT has done such a *****y job that his new nickname should be #2 :naughty:

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
where_s_mact.jpg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What's all the fuss about?

When Chiarelli said that MacT is his #2, he meant that he's going to flush him at some point once he gets him out of his system.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Keep talking about the "OBC" and then tell us how the government is controlling us through our fillings. Obviously the "OBC" is no longer a thing.

But your irrational hatred and bitterness won't let you see that.

I'm curious to hear (and while I can't see your post history right now, I'll be able to look it up later) what you thought of the Chiarelli hiring before today. And if your opinion has now changed, how? What is it that Connor McDavid or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will do differently if Craig MacTavish is in the arena or on scouting trips? It will be interesting to hear if your hate has any basis in this current team, which as we all know is much different than it was two weeks ago.

But they are...didn't you know that? I keep cotton balls in my mouth to negate the effects of the EMF waves that they send down to us from their satellites.

They've even gone so far as sending "representatives" to my door to "collect voting information". They don't fool me though. I tell them through my cotton balls that I'm not going to divulge any voting info to them. And I tell them that they cannot put a sign on my lawn because it's no one's business who I "vote for"...snicker....I know that the signs are just repeaters or transmitters to enhance their signal to break through my cotton ball protection plan.

:sarcasm: Sorry everyone, I got inspired there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad