Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hate is blinding you.

MacTs big faults?
- Big mouth
- Extreme loyalty to a fault
- Not properly fixing the D core and not getting enough done.

Most of his trades were actually good. And he was around. 500 in signings.

The first Perron trade we won.

The second Perron trade is looking pretty good to right now.

The Petry trade will be good if Montreal keeps winning, although losing him was bad.

The Hendricks for Dubnyk swap was great, yes Dubnyk turned around his game but he was so bad last year he couldn't even be the starter for Montreals farm.

The Horcoff trade, he actually moved that contract which was good.

The Smid trade kind of sucked caused we could of used a decent defensemen, although now he is a bottom pairing guy at best and we got Brossoit out of it.

The Gagner trade is a wash. Gagner didn't have a future here, Purcell and him are pretty even and we got more out of the deal then Tampa did. We did go into the season without a 2c.

His signings were iffy.
Pouliot, Fayne, Gordon were good. Lander and Yaks second contracts as well.

Ference, Nikitin are over paid.

Schultz got to high and we basically told Petry to go **** himself.

So like a lot of GMs on the trade and signing front he had some good, some bad but also some awful. However his biggest faults was he couldn't get enough done.

Now as a Gm coming in like Chia, I would see value in that. You are replacing a guy who had a huge fault in loyalty and not getting enough done. However did make some good moves and isn't a stupid guy hockey wise.

So why not see what he can bring as an assistant. That could honestly be a very good spot for him. He probably will never be a good full gm due to his speaking skills etc, but as an assistant he could be a real asset, especially under a guy who knows what he is doing.

I don't think we can look at the Ference signing in a hockey-play only vacuum. There were clear issues in the locker room and Ference was brought in for his leadership abilities and winning experience. He wasn't enough to overcome some of the problems, but people close to the team have said he is extremely underrated for what he is doing in the room.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Hate is blinding you.

MacTs big faults?
- Big mouth

Most of his trades were actually good. And he was around. 500 in signings.

The first Perron trade we won.

The second Perron trade is looking pretty good to right now.

The Petry trade will be good if Montreal keeps winning, although losing him was bad.

The Hendricks for Dubnyk swap was great, yes Dubnyk turned around his game but he was so bad last year he couldn't even be the starter for Montreals farm.

The Horcoff trade, he actually moved that contract which was good.

The Smid trade kind of sucked caused we could of used a decent defensemen, although now he is a bottom pairing guy at best and we got Brossoit out of it.

The Gagner trade is a wash. Gagner didn't have a future here, Purcell and him are pretty even and we got more out of the deal then Tampa did. We did go into the season without a 2c.

His signings were iffy.
Pouliot, Fayne, Gordon were good. Lander and Yaks second contracts as well.

Ference, Nikitin are over paid.

Schultz got to high and we basically told Petry to go **** himself.

So like a lot of GMs on the trade and signing front he had some good, some bad but also some awful. However his biggest faults was he couldn't get enough done.

Now as a Gm coming in like Chia, I would see value in that. You are replacing a guy who had a huge fault in loyalty and not getting enough done. However did make some good moves and isn't a stupid guy hockey wise.

So why not see what he can bring as an assistant. That could honestly be a very good spot for him. He probably will never be a good full gm due to his speaking skills etc, but as an assistant he could be a real asset, especially under a guy who knows what he is doing.

i agree, his trading was good, his Signings were so so. but we have to remember our pro scouting is pretty much non existent. With only Analytics providing any help in that area. The Nikitin signing is 100% on Howson and at the same time we were not an attractive market for UFA's. He needed to do something and did. Then we also got Fayne

his biggest problems were hiring Eakins and his mouth.

i think he will be usefull to Chia being a strong opinion behind the scenes with someone experienced controlling things and he doesn`t need to open his mouth to the media.

*edit* and Ference was a good signing exactly what we needed, sure the term a year too long and the NMC/NTC but thats what it would take to get him here. Neither Nikitin and Ference are contracts that will handcuff this team. it's not like for example the Flyers signing ridiculous longterm deals that handcuff their team to guys who underperform for them

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
i actually did answer the bolded part in another post, go look it up if you want.... but to summarize: he has proven he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey, so having mact be "another voice in the room" (which is likely all he'll be) is still a negative... try to spin it however you want, but if a team is made up of X amount of people, even if only one of those people isn't pulling his own weight, then having that person on the team at all is a bad idea... i can't believe i need to actually point this out

I still can't believe it needs to be pointed out that it's not up to you to decide if he's an idiot or not when it comes to personnel decisions. The fact that you're still confusing him with Craig MacTavish the general manager is bizarre. You say he's not pulling his weight, but how do we know that? He hasn't held this position (whatever it is) before.

It's fine you didn't like him as a GM - not too many did. But you're equating that into poisonous to the team... not only before we've seen any results, but before we even know what he does. You don't consider that irrational, or maybe jumping to hasty conclusions?

McDeathbyCheerios*

I still can't believe it needs to be pointed out that it's not up to you to decide if he's an idiot or not when it comes to personnel decisions. The fact that you're still confusing him with Craig MacTavish the general manager is bizarre. You say he's not pulling his weight, but how do we know that? He hasn't held this position (whatever it is) before.

It's fine you didn't like him as a GM - not too many did. But you're equating that into poisonous to the team... not only before we've seen any results, but before we even know what he does. You don't consider that irrational, or maybe jumping to hasty conclusions?
If you run a car dealership and you have your worst speaker try and sell cars it's not going to work. However put him in an office doing the paper work for the salesmen and he might be incredible at it and a valued asset.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
If you run a car dealership and you have your worst speaker try and sell cars it's not going to work. However put him in an office doing the paper work for the salesmen and he might be incredible at it and a valued asset.

The only thing that matters is results. He took a team 3 years into the rebuild and got them to the lowest win total in franchise history. Finished 27th and 30th. Know other team will consider hiring him.

Oilers arent a charity, its a business. Proper organization would of fired him long ago and thats even if he could of got a job to begin with.

Your arguments are pointless, when all you have to do is look at simple facts. Oilers are the worst run franchise in sports.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The only thing that matters is results. He took a team 3 years into the rebuild and got them to the lowest win total in franchise history. Finished 27th and 30th. Know other team will consider hiring him.

Oilers arent a charity, its a business. Proper organization would of fired him long ago and thats even if he could of got a job to begin with.

Your arguments are pointless, when all you have to do is look at simple facts. Oilers are the worst run franchise in sports.
MacT had us finish 27 and 30th? No. It was 27 two years in a row.

You say simple facts and you can't even get those right.

Actually a lot of well run businesses don't just fire people for bad jobs, they often see if they have a better spot in the company for them, and then fire them if they still can't do that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I think you're missing the facts altogther - MacTavish doesn't run the team anymore, Chiarelli does. His opinion also matters more than ours when it comes to what MacTavish can and can't contribute to the team.

You mention results, but we haven't seen any yet. It's been a week during the team's offseason. What kind of results were you expecting?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really care as I don't think he has any actual power. If that was the case, then the Oilers would not have embarrassed him by stripping him of the GM title and giving Chiarelli both the POHO and GM positions.

I don't have any issue with him being an advisor. He simply didn't have the experience to be a general manager, but an advisor? I don't see the problem, every team has like several of them.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

Goodness you are incredibly naive. This organization has EARNED with long hard sucking and a total hate for accountability, every bit of scepticism at their decisions.

This position, no. 2 to the head hockey guy, is the EXACT SAME position MacT just held. Whatever the titles end up being, he's under Chia now instead of Lowe. He was blindsided because he didn't need to know, he wasn't being fired. This REEKS of the same nepotism that kept our terrible assistant coaches employed because we're the Oilers.

Anyways this was just me checking back in. For a little while there it seemed like the Oilers were getting serious but instead, well it's good to know I won't be wasting much of my time with these clowns going forward.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I think he'll take over Quinn's title the year after he was fired as coach: "Senior Adviser to Hockey".

At least, I think that's what it was.

I don't think it matters much. He did a laughably poor job as GM and was fired. His screw-up with Eakins - both in hiring him, and in bringing him back for the second year - did him in.

Both times the same people that are defending him now were defending those decisions.

If it were up to them, MacT would still be GM, and Eakins would still be coach ...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hate is blinding you.

MacTs big faults?
- Big mouth

No, his biggest fault was, after a 3 hour meeting in a hotel room, that included a nice bottle of Scotch, he bet the farm on an AHL coach that told him exactly what he wanted hear.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goodness you are incredibly naive. This organization has EARNED with long hard sucking and a total hate for accountability, every bit of scepticism at their decisions.

This position, no. 2 to the head hockey guy, is the EXACT SAME position MacT just held. Whatever the titles end up being, he's under Chia now instead of Lowe. He was blindsided because he didn't need to know, he wasn't being fired. This REEKS of the same nepotism that kept our terrible assistant coaches employed because we're the Oilers.

Anyways this was just me checking back in. For a little while there it seemed like the Oilers were getting serious but instead, well it's good to know I won't be wasting much of my time with these clowns going forward.
Exact same position?
His old job was making decisions. Now he just gives someone ideas and help making them, he isn't making any decisions.

It's very much different. You called the other guy naive, which may be true but you are just showing how little you know of about any of it

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
MacT had us finish 27 and 30th? No. It was 27 two years in a row.

You say simple facts and you can't even get those right.

Actually a lot of well run businesses don't just fire people for bad jobs, they often see if they have a better spot in the company for them, and then fire them if they still can't do that.

Your alone in the hockey world thinking there qualified for anything. Watch any sports outlet after the Mcdavid lottery, they all said our MANAGMENT doesnt deserve a thing.

Its fans like you that make this franchise think that there making good decisions.

Everybody in the league thinks Oilers are a joke and they are. You fire these people for PR so people actually think that someone knows what there doing. This is why no one signs with Oilers. They keep idiots around.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Your alone in the hockey world thinking there qualified for anything. Watch any sports outlet after the Mcdavid lottery, they all said our MANAGMENT doesnt deserve a thing.

Its fans like you that make this franchise think that there making good decisions.

Everybody in the league thinks Oilers are a joke and they are. You fire these people for PR so people actually think that someone knows what there doing. This is why no one signs with Oilers. They keep idiots around.

What about Pouliot, for example, who was offered more money elsewhere?

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Can't disagree with this.

We'd better not see MacT in front of a microphone ever again. He has done enough damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDeathbyCheerios*

So I'm alone in the sports world thinking he is qualified.

I don't know if he is qualified.

Nicholson and Chia are the ones keeping him around, and then damn well know more then you are me about absolutely any of this.

And i trust Nicholson's decisions much more then angry fans.

But you know, you clearly know more then any of them.

Like you kept saying in the past, Pouliot is a 3rd liner at best. And you were sure right.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Nicholson and Chia are the ones keeping him around, and then damn well know more then you are me about absolutely any of this.

Like you kept saying in the past, Pouliot is a 3rd liner at best. And you were sure right.

You and Seachd are the common sense and rationality this place needs direly.

It's insane how butt hurt people are over a really, really, minor move.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You and Seachd are the common sense and rationality this place needs direly.

It's insane how butt hurt people are over a really, really, minor move.
I relate this move to how much this fan base hates a player and calls them **** when they were playing in a role they aren't suited for.

Like Justin Schultz is not a horrible hockey player. He would be fine playing second or third pairing minutes. Or how people hated Petry for not being bad cause he couldn't play top pairing minutes but look at him now on the second pairing in Montreal.

People in over their heads look worse then they are because they are out of their element. Put them in a lesser role that they are capable of and they can succeed. It's Common sense.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

This is what i could find.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/3/13/8207975/islanders-30-thoughts-elliotte-friedman-johnny-boychuk-capitals-fourth-line

1. Very impressive off-ice victory for the New York Islanders getting Johnny Boychuk to sign. Five years ago, Dan Hamhuis, Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek all took less money than the Islanders offered. Last summer, Jarome Iginla and Benoit Pouliot took one less year than the Islanders offered.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton

Because Oilers dont force decisions on people. That has definitely never happened... (yakupov by owner, steve smith, kelly buchberger )

Pouliot is a third liner when hes playing for a quality team. Trying to dig up old posts is pathetic and shows you have no argument. Try and stay on topic.

Oct 15, 2008
I think he'll take over Quinn's title the year after he was fired as coach: "Senior Adviser to Hockey".

At least, I think that's what it was.

I don't think it matters much. He did a laughably poor job as GM and was fired. His screw-up with Eakins - both in hiring him, and in bringing him back for the second year - did him in.

Both times the same people that are defending him now were defending those decisions.

If it were up to them, MacT would still be GM, and Eakins would still be coach ...

Ouch!

copper_blue

Jun 15, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have two concerns with this decision

1) If the Oilers decided he wasn't good enough to be GM, why did they keep him in an important role with Chiarelli. How awkward is it for PC to work with MacT and Howson to undo the damage that MacT and Howson created.

2) Did Chiarelli really want MacT as #2 or did Lowe/Katz show loyalty instead of sound business decision making

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don't mind if he sticks as a managerial role that isn't GM or POHO.

Reasoning is not all his moves were bad. He did make some solid moves that involving player personnel. If he's under contract you may as well put him to good use. Howson needs to go though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad