Where's MacT?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Heard he is traveling with Peter. Basically is his very lame side kick until we get a coach and then I imagine he gets officially put to pasture. Some director of equipment research and development or equally made up position.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Heard he is traveling with Peter. Basically is his very lame side kick until we get a coach and then I imagine he gets officially put to pasture. Some director of equipment research and development or equally made up position.

Craig's first pitch:

"I'm tellin ya, Daryl, we don't need helmets. Heck, I never used them and I turned out alright, visually."

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Craig's first pitch:

"I'm tellin ya, Daryl, we don't need helmets. Heck, I never used them and I turned out alright, visually."

Mac T's second pitch. "Eakins turned me on to this hair product that is technically better than a helmet, just have to avoid getting it wet. It will revolutionize the game".

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

Don't think he went to Europe with Chiarelli, I heard he went to watch OKC.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He and Chiarelli went and watched Draisaitl together. Maybe also McDavid/Nurse.

Also it was reported (somewhere) that Chiarelli has asked MacT to stay on. In what capacity is unclear. Maybe an assistant GM. Maybe a scout of some kind. Who knows.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He and Chiarelli went and watched Draisaitl together. Maybe also McDavid/Nurse.

Also it was reported (somewhere) that Chiarelli has asked MacT to stay on. In what capacity is unclear. Maybe an assistant GM. Maybe a scout of some kind. Who knows.

I heard MacT felt "blind sided" by the news was crushed. Thought he had the team going in the right direction. Is unsure what he is going to do (stay on with the Oilers or not).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I heard MacT felt "blind sided" by the news was crushed. Thought he had the team going in the right direction. Is unsure what he is going to do (stay on with the Oilers or not).

I heard this as well, don't know if true but makes sense. The guy writes off the next year as a development year without a single game played and is surprised he is being demoted. None too sharp.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish will be the 'No. 2 guy,' says Chiarelli
BY TERRY JONES, EDMONTON SUN

PRAGUE – Peter Chiarelli is still working on the title.

Not his own.

The new President of Hockey Operations and General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers has convinced demoted G.M. Craig MacTavish to stay on as Super Duper Chief Right Hand Head Man.

Or something like that.

“I haven’t settled on his title,†said Chiarelli, who is here in Prague for the opening weekend of the IIHF World Championship.

“He’ll be the No. 2 guy,†Chiarelli made it official in an exclusive interview upon arrival.

When Chiarelli was introduced at a press conference in Edmonton last week, the status of MacTavish, other than the fact he wouldn’t be general manager any longer, was a bit iffy.

But after that conference, Chiarelli convinced the former Oilers coach of eight seasons and G.M. of two, to climb on a plane to Kelowna with him to go watch Oilers first round draft choice Leon Draisaitl play for the Rockets in the WHL playoff series against the Portland Winterhawks.

“He’ll be No. 2 in all aspects,†said Chiarelli.

“He’ll be my eyes and ears in all areas.

“I want to have strong people with strong opinions.â€

Chiarelli expects it to work.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/05/01/oilers-gm-craig-mactavish-will-be-the-no-2-guy-says-chiarelli

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chiarelli says MacT is the "No. 2 guy"

Anyone up for photoshopping MacT on this with an eyepatch?

63870.gif

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I don't like giving him any title, especially the "No. 2 guy" but this is Chairelli's show so I doubt he has that much influence.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't like giving him any title, especially the "No. 2 guy" but this is Chairelli's show so I doubt he has that much influence.

I was pretty dissapointed when I read that chia respected Kevin and was traveling with mac t.

Then something about wanting to keep mact on in some capacity.

They sunk their fangs in him. He is done.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
He's definitely #2 if we're talking about bowel movements.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
I lol'd at the eyepatch idea. Someone make it happen!

No worries. My disdain for MacT and KLowe has been quenched with the hiring of PC, so I'm cool with this. The key thing for me is who's hand is on the trigger, and it ain't either of those two clowns.

Besides, as the old Proverb goes: "Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisors they succeed."

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
As soon as the Oilers start showing progress they will fire Chia and let MacT step in as GM to reap the rewards.

They've already tried it once.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I see the MacT era as this:

- gutted the poor talent that Tambelini had brought in
- tried to upgrade the scouting and drafting as best he could
- took some swings at free agents, some worked, some didn't
- took a lot of blame for how poor a roster Tambelini had left him

When the Oilers make the playoffs next spring (book it), and win the cup in 2018, we will applaud MacT for putting in the majority of the pieces that Chiarelli transitioned into success.

Chiarelli's job is to:

- make the most of what momentum MacT and Nelson have created
- use his cache to land a great new coach
- use his cache to bring in great UFA's at either market value, or under market value

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
As soon as the Oilers start showing progress they will fire Chia and let MacT step in as GM to reap the rewards.

They've already tried it once.

I don't think MacT is ever the GM of the Oilers again but that he stays with them in various positions until he retires. Kinda like klowe.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I've always felt MacT had value and did some smart things. But as a GM he had too many shortcomings. His inability to identify, admit and correct his own errors is the biggest. I feel comfortable with that ball in Chiarellis court now. As long as MacT has NO input on the D corps I'll be happy. I'm pretty sure Chia's philosophy is very different that MacT's, and I suspect that is what took MacT a while to decide if he can get on board with it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I see the MacT era as this:

- gutted the poor talent that Tambelini had brought in
- tried to upgrade the scouting and drafting as best he could
- took some swings at free agents, some worked, some didn't
- took a lot of blame for how poor a roster Tambelini had left him

When the Oilers make the playoffs next spring (book it), and win the cup in 2018, we will applaud MacT for putting in the majority of the pieces that Chiarelli transitioned into success.

Chiarelli's job is to:

- make the most of what momentum MacT and Nelson have created
- use his cache to land a great new coach
- use his cache to bring in great UFA's at either market value, or under market value

Eakins never happened eh? :) MacT turned over the entire team except what Tambo left him, and was still depending on Hall/Nuge/Ebs and Schultz/Klef to play all the hardest minutes, all guys he was left. He didn't fix this team at all and gave away one of his most useful non-golden boy pieces Petry. And he hired one of the worst coaches all time to ensure no one developed (and some regressed) for 1.5 years.

I fail to see what pieces MacT should get credit for that will be significant contributors on a cup team. Unless you want to give him credit for his epic failures that let us draft #3 and #1 again. The D needs to be completely transformed. Goaltending is in the trash and needs to be fixed too. We have too many expensive 3rd/4th liners and 2nd/3rd line wingers that need to be cut down to let us invest in the more important C and D positions as well. MacT was only good at getting expensive 2nd/3rd line wingers, 4th liners, 6/7D's and small sample size mid/late-20's backup goalies. All the easiest types of players to acquire.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad