Where's MacT?

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
where_s_mact.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the evidence is that Chiarelli, who as far as I know has one more Cup than "jadeddog" at HFBoards, has decided to keep him around for now.

Keep talking about the "OBC" and then tell us how the government is controlling us through our fillings. Obviously the "OBC" is no longer a thing.

But your irrational hatred and bitterness won't let you see that.

I'm curious to hear (and while I can't see your post history right now, I'll be able to look it up later) what you thought of the Chiarelli hiring before today. And if your opinion has now changed, how? What is it that Connor McDavid or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will do differently if Craig MacTavish is in the arena or on scouting trips? It will be interesting to hear if your hate has any basis in this current team, which as we all know is much different than it was two weeks ago.

i was indifferent to chiarelli, but EXTREMELY happy to get rid of macT.... i don't know enough about chiarelli to really have an opinion to be honest... from what i've read over the past week or so he seemed to do very well in ottawa and then seemed to bat around .500 in boston as far as trades go... he has experience and is *clearly* an upgrade over macT, but i don't think he has proven to be some sort of hockey GM savant either though

as far as what he has done in edmonton so far, he has only made one move, and that was to keep macT on team... so far in edmonton he is batting .000 because a blind fool could tell you that macT is an idiot

McDeathbyCheerios*

i was indifferent to chiarelli, but EXTREMELY happy to get rid of macT.... i don't know enough about chiarelli to really have an opinion to be honest... from what i've read over the past week or so he seemed to do very well in ottawa and then seemed to bat around .500 in boston as far as trades go... he has experience and is *clearly* an upgrade over macT, but i don't think he has proven to be some sort of hockey GM savant either though

as far as what he has done in edmonton so far, he has only made one move, and that was to keep macT on team... so far in edmonton he is batting .000 because a blind fool could tell you that macT is an idiot
Hate is blinding you.

MacTs big faults?
- Big mouth
- Extreme loyalty to a fault
- Not properly fixing the D core and not getting enough done.

Most of his trades were actually good. And he was around. 500 in signings.

The first Perron trade we won.

The second Perron trade is looking pretty good to right now.

The Petry trade will be good if Montreal keeps winning, although losing him was bad.

The Hendricks for Dubnyk swap was great, yes Dubnyk turned around his game but he was so bad last year he couldn't even be the starter for Montreals farm.

The Horcoff trade, he actually moved that contract which was good.

The Smid trade kind of sucked caused we could of used a decent defensemen, although now he is a bottom pairing guy at best and we got Brossoit out of it.

The Gagner trade is a wash. Gagner didn't have a future here, Purcell and him are pretty even and we got more out of the deal then Tampa did. We did go into the season without a 2c.

His signings were iffy.
Pouliot, Fayne, Gordon were good. Lander and Yaks second contracts as well.

Ference, Nikitin are over paid.

Schultz got to high and we basically told Petry to go **** himself.

So like a lot of GMs on the trade and signing front he had some good, some bad but also some awful. However his biggest faults was he couldn't get enough done.

Now as a Gm coming in like Chia, I would see value in that. You are replacing a guy who had a huge fault in loyalty and not getting enough done. However did make some good moves and isn't a stupid guy hockey wise.

So why not see what he can bring as an assistant. That could honestly be a very good spot for him. He probably will never be a good full gm due to his speaking skills etc, but as an assistant he could be a real asset, especially under a guy who knows what he is doing.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I can guarantee you Chiarelli has dealt with MacTavish more than you have and likely has an idea about whether or not he's an idiot.

It's funny, although certainly not unexpected, that you're ignoring roles and focusing on something that no longer matters. You still haven't answered how you think MacTavish is going to affect the team.

But I know the answer anyway: You know MacTavish still being with the team will either have no influence, or negligible/unseen influence, on the future of this team, scared he may even have even a slightly positive influence, although you'd never admit it, and will be furious as long as MacTavish's name is connected with the team.

You even said yourself that for you the Chiarelli hiring was only a distant second to the thought of getting rid of MacTavish. That tells everyone your priorities are completely out of touch. Getting a potential generational player and a new Cup-winning GM means nothing to you as long as the team still employs (regardless of position) someone you hate.

It's petty and childish. You're angry for reasons that clearly have nothing to do with hockey, which makes me think you're likely taking it too far.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The point is its pathetic on MacT's part sticking around. Hes been humiliated and demoted and instead of leaving with some dignity to take an "advisor" role elsewhere he acknowledges the only NHL club which would touch him is Edmonton.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I don't vehemently agree with jaddedog, but i do agree with him on many points. It seems that there are as many MacT lovers as there are haters.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Mac T seems like a guy that would be good in the amateur scouting department, hes a guy that was good at finding decent two way forwards, diamonds in the rough kinda guys. That is all i will give him credit for when he coached the team.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
The point is its pathetic on MacT's part sticking around. Hes been humiliated and demoted and instead of leaving with some dignity to take an "advisor" role elsewhere he acknowledges the only NHL club which would touch him is Edmonton.

I think for certain people no matter what happens from here on out he will be heralded for the great things this team does in the future or bashed for the failures we have endured. I don't think he deserves credit, even if some of the moves were positive. He clearly sees that this team is on the cusp of greatness even if he isn't the man to bring us there. The reason he didn't leave is because he couldn't get a job of equal standing or he desperately wants to be here when we're winning.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Mac T seems like a guy that would be good in the amateur scouting department, hes a guy that was good at finding decent two way forwards, diamonds in the rough kinda guys. That is all i will give him credit for when he coached the team.

Chiarelli should ask MacT which players look like Joe Sakic if they could improve scoring and we can find a pretty decent 4th liner.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think for certain people no matter what happens from here on out he will be heralded for the great things this team does in the future or bashed for the failures we have endured. I don't think he deserves credit, even if some of the moves were positive. He clearly sees that this team is on the cusp of greatness even if he isn't the man to bring us there. The reason he didn't leave is because he couldn't get a job of equal standing or he desperately wants to be here when we're winning.
I don't think he was a good gm. I just think he is the worst person ever and deserves to be shot out of a cannon or homeless or whatever.

I think he is a smart hockey guy who was way in over his head.

Guy got demoted and was still willing to stick around the team because he is probably passionate about the team and wants to be part of it.

I know he messed up the team a bunch but I think in the right spots he could do good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This I agree with. That said as long as he is not calling the shots I have far less issue with him staying than if he was still calling the shots. For MacT's and Lowe's faults they do love the team, it's just a matter of what they can bring to the table if anything at this point.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Chiarelli should ask MacT which players look like Joe Sakic if they could improve scoring and we can find a pretty decent 4th liner.

LOL, like i said, he will find you the third and fourth liners to fill out your team, but he cant evaluate actual skilled talent. This is why the Oilers were a team full of those guys during his coaching days. In his defense though he was only the coach not the GM so maybe the fault was not his.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't vehemently agree with jaddedog, but i do agree with him on many points. It seems that there are as many MacT lovers as there are haters.

I don't thin anyone in here is a "MacT lover" just not irrational, angry, paranoid and petty. You don't have to "love" someone not to "hate" them, balance can come in the form of a moderate viewpoint which rarely happens when one is emotionally charged. Rarely are things as black and white as people would like them to be, i see it everywhere the desire to generalize and simplify arguments and opinions that way facts won't get in the way of a narrative ( eg. Liberal-Conservative).

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Chiarelli isn't going to make any moves during the playoffs. Especially with MacT.

There are still 3 summer months (give or take) for Chiarelli to do anything. But do not expect him to do anything before the draft except for what he should be and is doing.

Going to the Junior games and concentrating on the draft. And chatting up possible coaching solutions with some current NHL caliber coaches.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Or the possibility that MacT is very loyal to the Oilers as a whole.

Probably a very good possibility at that.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
MacT is an arrogant blowhard who was overrated as a coach and lacked the proper experience needed to be a GM.

Pretty much every time he was put in front of a microphone as both coach and GM, he was either absolving himself or 'his guys' of any blame whatsoever, or throwing a scapegoat under the bus.

As a GM trades and signings weren't all bad, but had he not sewered the value of players like Dubnyk, Perron, Smid and Petry by not firing Eakins a year before he was eventually forced to, those players could possibly be filling in vital roles on the team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Or the possibility that MacT is very loyal to the Oilers as a whole.

Probably a very good possibility at that.
Maybe he wants to stay with the org who took a chance on him, which he failed and he wants to make up for it?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe he wants to stay with the org who took a chance on him, which he failed and he wants to make up for it?

Considering his past with Sather taking a really big chance on him, you could be right. But that is just conjecture of course. I do not know the man, never met him. Just my opinion of what I've assimilated of him over the last 30 or so years.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't think he was a good gm. I just think he is the worst person ever and deserves to be shot out of a cannon or homeless or whatever.

I think he is a smart hockey guy who was way in over his head.

Guy got demoted and was still willing to stick around the team because he is probably passionate about the team and wants to be part of it.

I know he messed up the team a bunch but I think in the right spots he could do good.

because this is the one, only and last job he will ever have in the NHL. Same goes for Lowe. These are sympathy jobs, plain and simple.

IMO, Mact is still around because Chia knows that ruffling the feathers of the guy that signs the cheques is not wise, and he has final say anyway, so why not just keep him around. It's not that big of a deal to him, tho its just not the way most (any) teams operate.

#becauseOilers

Hey, 3 weeks ago, if I was told that the Oilers might move Lowe out of POHO and Mact to Assistant manager, I would have been over the moon. In fact, I wouldn't even believe it.

Its not 100% perfect, but its about 80-90%.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
because this is the one, only and last job he will ever have in the NHL. Same goes for Lowe. These are sympathy jobs, plain and simple.

IMO, Mact is still around because Chia knows that ruffling the feathers of the guy that signs the cheques is not wise, and he has final say anyway, so why not just keep him around. It's not that big of a deal to him, tho its just not the way most (any) teams operate.

#becauseOilers

Hey, 3 weeks ago, if I was told that the Oilers might move Lowe out of POHO and Mact to Assistant manager, I would have been over the moon. In fact, I wouldn't even believe it.

Its not 100% perfect, but its about 80-90%.

Absolutely. Guy has no shame hes been humiliated but knows he cant find a GM gig anywhere else. He wasnt even able to get a head coaching gig.

Some people got no shame.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can guarantee you Chiarelli has dealt with MacTavish more than you have and likely has an idea about whether or not he's an idiot.

It's funny, although certainly not unexpected, that you're ignoring roles and focusing on something that no longer matters. You still haven't answered how you think MacTavish is going to affect the team.

But I know the answer anyway: You know MacTavish still being with the team will either have no influence, or negligible/unseen influence, on the future of this team, scared he may even have even a slightly positive influence, although you'd never admit it, and will be furious as long as MacTavish's name is connected with the team.

You even said yourself that for you the Chiarelli hiring was only a distant second to the thought of getting rid of MacTavish. That tells everyone your priorities are completely out of touch. Getting a potential generational player and a new Cup-winning GM means nothing to you as long as the team still employs (regardless of position) someone you hate.

It's petty and childish. You're angry for reasons that clearly have nothing to do with hockey, which makes me think you're likely taking it too far.

i actually did answer the bolded part in another post, go look it up if you want.... but to summarize: he has proven he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey, so having mact be "another voice in the room" (which is likely all he'll be) is still a negative... try to spin it however you want, but if a team is made up of X amount of people, even if only one of those people isn't pulling his own weight, then having that person on the team at all is a bad idea... i can't believe i need to actually point this out

i don't hate macT, not at all... he actually seems like a really nice person, is well-spoken (less now for some reason than when he was a coach, but still pretty good), is funny during media scrums, and helped the oilers a lot as a player.... hell, i even liked him as a coach, a lot more than that anybody we've had since .... he just doesn't have a clue when it comes to being a GM, so i therefore don't want him on my team in any way that involves player personnel decisions... being the assistant GM (which is essentially what he is now) is still WAAAAAY too much involvement in an area that he has proven he isn't good at

McDeathbyCheerios*

i actually did answer the bolded part in another post, go look it up if you want.... but to summarize: he has proven he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey, so having mact be "another voice in the room" (which is likely all he'll be) is still a negative... try to spin it however you want, but if a team is made up of X amount of people, even if only one of those people isn't pulling his own weight, then having that person on the team at all is a bad idea... i can't believe i need to actually point this out

i don't hate macT, not at all... he actually seems like a really nice person, is well-spoken (less now for some reason than when he was a coach, but still pretty good), is funny during media scrums, and helped the oilers a lot as a player.... hell, i even liked him as a coach, a lot more than that anybody we've had since .... he just doesn't have a clue when it comes to being a GM, so i therefore don't want him on my team in any way that involves player personnel decisions... being the assistant GM (which is essentially what he is now) is still WAAAAAY too much involvement in an area that he has proven he isn't good at
His player personnel decisions were actually pretty average when it comes to GMs. Some good moves, some bad moves. Nikitin was mostly on Howson.

His big problem is the head coach, which isn't up to him anymore.

You make it sound like if he isn't pulling his own weight as an assistant he is stuck to the team. They can fire him of he ***** the bed as an assistant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad