Where's MacT?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the Oilers are about to become a very serious team again. With McDavid coming your way, I would guess that the playoffs are right around the corner...particularly if you add Todd Mclellan as coach.

I presume that returning to repectability is what has promoted the negative commentary from other fan bases.

But I wonder that, when you do return to winning hockey, how long it will be before Lowe and MacT emerge from their hidey holes to try and take some credit. I just don't see how a guy like Lowe will be able to resist.

Most definitely, you know that they whether they are still affiliated with the team or not.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The concern for me isn't that Chiarelli has agreed to come here as a puppet for Lowe and Mactavish. It would be ludicrous that a guy as accomplished as him would agree to that. My concern is that Chiarelli will find out things aren't as they were promised to him. If he quits inside a year or so we'll have a good indication of who is really running this team. We've had two outsiders come through this organization and claim they were sold a "Bill of Goods" to come here. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I hope everything is on the level but we've all seen how this organization has operated under Katz. It wouldn't be a surprise to me to see some kind of power struggle happen. I'm not making any predictions here. I'd just feel much better about the situation if neither Lowe or Mactavish were no longer around or if they weren't involved on the hockey side at all.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The concern for me isn't that Chiarelli has agreed to come here as a puppet for Lowe and Mactavish. It would be ludicrous that a guy as accomplished as him would agree to that. My concern is that Chiarelli will find out things aren't as they were promised to him. If he quits inside a year or so we'll have a good indication of who is really running this team. We've had two outsiders come through this organization and claim they were sold a "Bill of Goods" to come here. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I hope everything is on the level but we've all seen how this organization has operated under Katz. It wouldn't be a surprise to me to see some kind of power struggle happen. I'm not making any predictions here. I'd just feel much better about the situation if neither Lowe or Mactavish were no longer around or if they weren't involved on the hockey side at all.

I really don't think the Oilers can risk something like this. The optics would just be horrid. Something this team doesn't have the luxury of doing. They already have close to ten years of clean up to do doing something like this would just be horrid.

With Nicholson there now too I don't see how it happens.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I really don't think the Oilers can risk something like this. The optics would just be horrid. Something this team doesn't have the luxury of doing. They already have close to ten years of clean up to do doing something like this would just be horrid.

With Nicholson there now too I don't see how it happens.

They could do it if they believe what they've been doing is working it's just going to take a little more time. Patience will pay off. I'm sure they do believe it and that they know a thing or two about winning. I think Nicholson probably believes it as well. We'll see what happens, if they go into the season with very few changes it's possible Chiarelli believes it as well.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

So I guess that saying Nicholson is the HNIC and that Chia is the POHO and GM is all lies created by Katz to keep Lowe and MacT in control?

Is that what you're getting at?

Seems a little paranoid to me...but hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

I don't think you'd trust this organization no matter what happens. You seem to want to dwell on any possible negatives that can be had.

Lighten up bro.

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
I love MacT,as a player he was super clutch.
He loves this team more than me
He made some awful decisions in his 2+ years as GM,he also made some nice moves.
As a coach he did the best he could given the circumstances,he also brought them to 1 period away from hoisting another cup when given a good veteran roster.

Why else would Chiarelli keep him around? He knows hockey and winning and OILER tradition and I love it

Hate all you want

Been around since 77,seen it all

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So I guess that saying Nicholson is the HNIC and that Chia is the POHO and GM is all lies created by Katz to keep Lowe and MacT in control?

I don't think you'd trust this organization no matter what happens. You seem to want to dwell on any possible negatives that can be had.

Lighten up bro.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying this organization is filled with people loyal to Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish. With these two still here I see the potential for a power struggle somewhere down the road leading to even more dysfunction. If people ever lost jobs with this team instead of being shuffled to other positions then I wouldn't feel this way but there are many that appear to be able to survive anything. We'll see what happens down the road.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I'm saying this organization is filled with people loyal to Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish. With these two still here I see the potential for a power struggle somewhere down the road leading to even more dysfunction. If people ever lost jobs with this team instead of being shuffled to other positions then I wouldn't feel this way but there are many that appear to be able to survive anything. We'll see what happens down the road.

Thanks for explaining your concerns.

Can't really argue with that.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

exactly. while the changes made are a million miles better than what we had, there is no way anyone can say that keeping Lowe and Mact is a better situation than completely expunging the organization of the OBC, IN TOTALITY!!!! Firing Lowe and Mact would have been the best case scenario. They chose only a better scenario.

This organization just refuses to operate normally.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Even if they have no power, or report to higher ups, I just wish they'd ****ing leave this team once and for all. I'm sure Chia is the man, but for the love of Odin, why can't they just bugger off?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm a little surprised, the Copper and Blue blog I remember from years ago could have been mistaken for the Mactavish fan club blog(a title that goes to Lowetide of course).

Seems they nail it here though

I've already said my piece in this thread; a new GM gets hired and not a single person is fired despite being a tire fire for a decade, reeks of meddling behind the scenes by the owner. The hiring of Chia is turning out to be not so much of a cleaning of the house, but more like a hoarder adding a new piece of furniture to a house already stuffed full of junk :laugh:

it sure does. just the Oilers being the Oilers.

I think this is making a mountain out of a mole-hill. While I agree that MacT was not a good GM, that doesn't necessarily mean all of his opinions or ideas are worthless. He is being kept as an additional voice, but Chia is making the final decisions on this team. Also, if MacT is under contract, I would gather is makes more sense to keep him around and use his experience wherever Chia needs it (I think scouting will be a big one).

well, in light of not a single termination taking place after bringing in better people to replace those that failed (which might be a first in the history of capitalism), I'll believe there is meaning change when I see it. When Chia trades Schultz and uses Marincin or trades an Eberle for a Lucic, or buys out Nikitin, or something like that, I'll believe. If Schultz is getting 20 minutes a night and Marincin is in Bakersfield.... not sure if I'll cry or laugh, but I'll know what really took place last week. And that is not a helluva lot.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Even if they have no power, or report to higher ups, I just wish they'd ****ing leave this team once and for all. I'm sure Chia is the man, but for the love of Odin, why can't they just bugger off?

where are they gonna go? no team worth their salt is gonna hire these people
of course they're gonna hang around on Uncle Katz' dime and pretend to look busy

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If you can see my avatar, you can see what I think of KLowe, but I'm actually ok with him in his current role (provided he stays the **** away from hockey operations).

The guy does have a lot of ties to the community (especially among the corporate type 'tier 1' fans) and has helped to set up the Oilers' farm teams (including the new AHL all-California division) and the Oil Kings; I don't blame him for the Roadrunners and the decision to not have an AHL affiliate as I think that was the EIG's call. He also played a key role in Katz's purchase of the team, which, despite my disdain for the man, is a better situation than still having the EIG in charge.

If Chiarelli wants to keep MacT on for the year as he transitions into his role, I'm fine with that as well.

That being said, if as rboomercat suggested, in one year Lowe is making public announcements on the state of the team, MacT is still employed by the franchise, and/or Nicholson or Chiarelli steps down (or is removed) from their position, I think Oilers fans have legitimate reason to be concerned.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007

Lighten up bro.

Bull. You know exactly what people will be happy with. And its been discussed throughout the eternity. Pink slips.

People here aren't dwelling on anything either. It's called learning from experience. We've been fed enough manure that half this board has developed immune response to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I agree with keeping Mact on as despite some stupid moves (like keeping Eakins and not having a legit #2 center to start the year), he did some good moves. Inexperience was a big factor as well as it being EDM so he was handcuffed. With Chiarelli on board MacT will be able to learn more and grow as a GM. I do believe he can be very good one day. If there's one thing he has is passion and worth ethic. He tried hard, but clearly couldn't handle it yet. Has the potential though. I know many of you don't agree with my view of MacT, but I do think he can be very good down the road.

Lowe is the guy I really want gone.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I agree with keeping Mact on as despite some stupid moves (like keeping Eakins and not having a legit #2 center to start the year), he did some good moves. Inexperience was a big factor as well as it being EDM so he was handcuffed. With Chiarelli on board MacT will be able to learn more and grow as a GM. I do believe he can be very good one day. If there's one thing he has is passion and worth ethic. He tried hard, but clearly couldn't handle it yet. Has the potential though. I know many of you don't agree with my view of MacT, but I do think he can be very good down the road.

Lowe is the guy I really want gone.

I agree with you. MacT has a lot of positive qualities. Yes, coaching hire aside, he made some decent moves. I believe he tended to get caught up in the hype (e.g. Schultz, Eakins) and had a hard time letting go when the hype didn't live up to potential.

Lowe, on the other hand, is just arrogant, and I believe, a destructive force. Having said that, he is good for the Oilers as a business, and I am perfectly fine with keeping him around there. As long as hockey operations are fixed, fans shouldn't care who is on the business side.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I love MacT,as a player he was super clutch.
He loves this team more than me
He made some awful decisions in his 2+ years as GM,he also made some nice moves.
As a coach he did the best he could given the circumstances,he also brought them to 1 period away from hoisting another cup when given a good veteran roster.

Why else would Chiarelli keep him around? He knows hockey and winning and OILER tradition and I love it

Hate all you want

Been around since 77,seen it all

personally i expected Lowe to be told to focus on the oilkings or barons (checkmark), chia to keep MacT on because Chia wont be familiar with the assets and needs to use this two month period prior to the draft wisely (checkmark). these two months prior to the two week tornado of draft and free agency are going to be crucial to the organizations future. MacT staying on board can prove his mettle in two months by filling Chia in on the trade talks presented to him by other teams and his background on the Oilers assets. i expected Howson, laforge to be sh**canned.

most has gone to reasonable forecasting

Chias first hiring was Dave Lewis...a failed rookie head coach who had strong credentials at associate and assistant levels in detroit etc. chia fired him later and replaced him with good ol Clode. so dont for second think that Chia will toss MacT just because he made mistakes as a rookie GM.

MacT will be evaluated and by the end of the summer or sooner, Chia will know if MacT and him think alike and if MacT is going to be an asset for him. if he is not going to be an asset...than Chia can flush him to join Lowe outside the NHL staff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad