Where will Mo go?

Where will Moritz Seider play in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
new-wave-leads-germany-to-world-juniors

IIHF - New wave leads Germany to World Juniors

Captain for Germany U20 and a leading scorer for the U20 Div1 Tournament.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I like how people are determining that playing in the OHL isn’t playing against “men”. Plenty of that in the CHL..along with a high skill level...that being said the AHL is for him...no reason he couldn’t slot in the Top 4

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like how people are determining that playing in the OHL isn’t playing against “men”. Plenty of that in the CHL..along with a high skill level...that being said the AHL is for him...no reason he couldn’t slot in the Top 4

Maybe not "playing against men" but "not learning from a seasoned vet-group" for sure.

Underagers in European leagues are thriwing because we have a mix of seasoned veterans and kids learning from them as a group at same lockerrooms, same practises, same game trips, same games. Just same environment.

That is superior developmental plan nowadays. Kids won't learn from other kids as well. Kids learn mostly bad habits from other kids.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The OHL is the only league I'd be unhappy with him doing to. I'm a full supporter any pro option whether it be EU or NA. He needs to continue playing against men.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I am hoping the AHL to put him against men, and to get him use to the North American game. Germany is a men's league but its international ice, and the CHL is the NA ice, but against children.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We will see where this goes, but I think people are being a bit hard on the CHL development path at this point. I would want the Wings to be comfortable with where he is going in the OHL. But it really depends on what they want him to work on and how quickly they need him to get there. A year in the CHL is fine, it isn't like we have to keep him there for two if we put him there like some other juniors.

I think the bigger problem with the CHL is he is already getting paid too much for him to really want to go. But going to that level and dominating wouldn't be the worst thing for his offensive skill set. I mean it didn't hamper Hronek recently. Each guy is different, I can wrap my head around a few options. If we really are going with Germany, my opinion is he should already be in camp with Mannheim and not over for our training camp or prospect tournament. So I kind of hope by them having him committed to those we are favoring NA with the AHL and CHL as the big options.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
They signed McIsaac at the beginning stages of last year and he played the entire season in Halifax.

Red Wings sign 2018 pick Jared McIsaac to entry-level deal - mlive.com

That tweet means absolutely nothing for where he ends up this year.

The difference is McIsaac came from CHL meaning his only options was CHL or NHL. The AHL was not an option due to CHL's transfer agreement with the NHL.

It is precisely the same reason, that Rasmussen could not play in the AHL last season. However, he is now 20 and can be sent to the AHL, which is probably where he starts the 19-20 season.

Seider is coming from DEL, due to transfer agreement, he is allowed to play anywhere.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
We will see where this goes, but I think people are being a bit hard on the CHL development path at this point. I would want the Wings to be comfortable with where he is going in the OHL. But it really depends on what they want him to work on and how quickly they need him to get there. A year in the CHL is fine, it isn't like we have to keep him there for two if we put him there like some other juniors.

I think the bigger problem with the CHL is he is already getting paid too much for him to really want to go. But going to that level and dominating wouldn't be the worst thing for his offensive skill set. I mean it didn't hamper Hronek recently. Each guy is different, I can wrap my head around a few options. If we really are going with Germany, my opinion is he should already be in camp with Mannheim and not over for our training camp or prospect tournament. So I kind of hope by them having him committed to those we are favoring NA with the AHL and CHL as the big options.
CHL is great for development.

However, when a player is large and physically developed, they can dominate the league based solely on those attributes.

That is solely my logic for dismissing the CHL as his 19-20 destination.

But keep in mind, this entire thread is 100% speculation.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Maybe not "playing against men" but "not learning from a seasoned vet-group" for sure.

Underagers in European leagues are thriwing because we have a mix of seasoned veterans and kids learning from them as a group at same lockerrooms, same practises, same game trips, same games. Just same environment.

That is superior developmental plan nowadays. Kids won't learn from other kids as well. Kids learn mostly bad habits from other kids.
Can get that in the AHL

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019

Because it's not in this case. It's a step back in that regard, especially when you consider where Seider has already played and showed success.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Because it's not in this case. It's a step back in that regard, especially when you consider where Seider has already played and showed success.

I think Seider can benefit from playing 25+ minutes a night and being used heavily in offensive situations. He is unlikely to get that kind of gig in either Germany or the AHL.

His CHL/OHL coach knows playing him heavy minutes and using his first round talent helps his win total. The AHL and DEL coach have a little more in the decision process. I am not saying he cannot be successful in any of these leagues or options.just as the summer has progressed I have thought of some of the benefits of transitioning to NA with a dominant season with heavy minutes and more offensive development.

Reactions: NEWing and NotLeddy

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
I think Seider can benefit from playing 25+ minutes a night and being used heavily in offensive situations. He is unlikely to get that kind of gig in either Germany or the AHL.

His CHL/OHL coach knows playing him heavy minutes and using his first round talent helps his win total. The AHL and DEL coach have a little more in the decision process. I am not saying he cannot be successful in any of these leagues or options.just as the summer has progressed I have thought of some of the benefits of transitioning to NA with a dominant season with heavy minutes and more offensive development.

I can see the point, but it comes at a risk where the player risks developing bad habits instead (he can get away with a lot of stuff just because of his size in that league), and he would have to work on those bad habits when he turns pro, instead of just playing where he should be playing. If he's good enough to play against men and develop at the same time, then continue on that path.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
CHL would be a good fit, he's already gotten good at defense against men but hasn't been able to get much offense. Send him over to the CHL to practice offense. Two straight seasons with less than 10ish points isn't a big confidence booster.

Would he need to stay in the CHL for a couple years or would he be able to transition right into GR after one year?

Reactions: Noofgoof

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
CHL would be a good fit, he's already gotten good at defense against men but hasn't been able to get much offense. Send him over to the CHL to practice offense. Two straight seasons with less than 10ish points isn't a big confidence booster.

Would he need to stay in the CHL for a couple years or would he be able to transition right into GR after one year?
He was an import pick in Owen Sound...he can go to Grand Rapids after their season is over and can play their next season

Reactions: Noofgoof

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Can't find the article now, as I read this awhile ago right after we drafted him...

Buttttt I believe the Mannheim coach said he started Seider last year on the 3rd pair... he improved throughout the year... and then finished the season on the 2nd pair and with PK duties. And that if Seider returns to Mannheim for this season he'd likely play 1st pair, PK, and PP.

If that's the case (1st pair and both special teams) I'd be absolutely fine with Seider heading back to Germany. Big minutes in a mens league I would think would be awesome for his development for a year.

If not that then AHL

CHL would just be silly

Reactions: Mlotek and rawraw

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I can see the point, but it comes at a risk where the player risks developing bad habits instead (he can get away with a lot of stuff just because of his size in that league), and he would have to work on those bad habits when he turns pro, instead of just playing where he should be playing. If he's good enough to play against men and develop at the same time, then continue on that path.

Did Connor McDavid develop bad habits from playing with "kids"? How about Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Nathan MacKinnon and on and on? Most of the players in the OHL or CHL are between 17-19, there is not that much of a difference. The only real difference is size, not necessarily maturity and intelligence. Also, as we have seen plenty of times, just being older and bigger doesn't always equate to dominating the junior ranks. Also, you can get a lot of bad habits from watching veteran players as well. Think about being in a locker room of men and your teammates are 27-30+ for example have made their name, know their slot and role on the team, know they have a for sure spot and now don't work out, or play as hard as they used to, and definitely not as hard as someone who is trying to get a spot on the team would need to. You can get bad habits with young or old, and you can also not develop bad habits just because you are in a bad environment.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can't find the article now, as I read this awhile ago right after we drafted him...

Buttttt I believe the Mannheim coach said he started Seider last year on the 3rd pair... he improved throughout the year... and then finished the season on the 2nd pair and with PK duties. And that if Seider returns to Mannheim for this season he'd likely play 1st pair, PK, and PP.

If that's the case (1st pair and both special teams) I'd be absolutely fine with Seider heading back to Germany. Big minutes in a mens league I would think would be awesome for his development for a year.

If not that then AHL

CHL would just be silly

He may just be saying whatever he needs to get him back though. Not saying he is, but if you have a player you like and there is chance you can get them back, even in smaller role, you might be inclined to promise stuff upfront to make it happen.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
He may just be saying whatever he needs to get him back though. Not saying he is, but if you have a player you like and there is chance you can get them back, even in smaller role, you might be inclined to promise stuff upfront to make it happen.

Here's a question... lets say the coach doesn't deliver on his promise and the Wings and Seider are unhappy... can Seider just nope out of there midway through the season and come to AHL?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

If not that then AHL

CHL would just be silly
Man I wish I'd seen that quote. I don't think I'm willing to dig though. If the Mannheim coach really said that, then it's probably the best place for him. Grand Rapids is pretty jammed up. I guess the Wings could talk to Simon and make sure he gets time, but it would be at another prospect's expense. I'm sure Grand Rapids is a higher level of play than the DEL, but I think they're close enough that it won't make a big developmental difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad