When this tree fell in the forest, who noticed? (CBA & Lockout Discussion)- Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Isnt walsh an agent? His tweets have become worse and worse the last few weeks.. At one point he was who I was watching the most to get information.. Now, he's just coming off as bad as Barch

Too much Port for him as well. Oh the humanity!

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Kinda.

There's the ED, GC, EB (made up of 30 player reps). There's also the negotiating committee (does not mean that the participant is ALSO one of the 30 player reps, nor the alternate).

In the Sharks case, the Player rep is Burns, Alternate is Wingels. Negotiating committee member is Murray.

But some may do both.

That's what I said - the Negotiating Committee consists of the Executive Director, the General Counsel, and other members appointed by the Executive Board.

The Board has appointed 31 players to the Negotiating Committee:

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/media-releases/details/2012/06/27/nhlpa-announces-negotiating-committee

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-player-negotiating-committee/article4374654/

In alphabetical order, here's the NHLPA's 31-player negotiating committee:

Craig Adams (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Adrian Aucoin (Phoenix Coyotes)
Alex Auld (Ottawa Senators)
David Backes (St. Louis Blues)
Marty Biron (New York Rangers)
Brad Boyes (Buffalo Sabres)
Chris Campoli (Montreal Canadiens)
B.J. Crombeen (St. Louis Blues)
Mathieu Darche (Montreal Canadiens)
Rick DiPietro (New York Islanders)
Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes)
Brandon Dubinsky (New York Rangers)
Ruslan Fedotenko (New York Rangers)
Alex Goligoski (Dallas Stars)
Ron Hainsey (Winnipeg Jets)
Scott Hartnell (Philadelphia Flyers)
Jamie Langenbrunner (St. Louis Blues)
Manny Malhotra (Vancouver Canucks)
Steve Montador (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dominic Moore (San Jose Sharks)
Brendan Morrison (Chicago Blackhawks)
Douglas Murray (San Jose Sharks)
George Parros (Anaheim Ducks)
Chris Phillips (Ottawa Senators)
Cory Schneider (Vancouver Canucks)
John Tavares (New York Islanders)
Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)
Kevin Westgarth (Los Angeles Kings)
Dan Winnik (San Jose Sharks)
James Wisniewski (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit Red Wings)

In all, 19 NHL teams are represented here, with Boston, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Toronto and Washington the ones without a player on the committee.

Twelve players listed do not have a contract and are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at noon on Sunday: Aucoin, Auld, Biron, Boyes, Campoli, Doan, Fedotenko, Langenbrunner, Moore, Morrison, Parros and Winnik.

There are also only three European players in the group: Fedotenko, Murray and Zetterberg.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
^^I think the Hawks' rep is actually Mondator (Morrison wasn't offered a contract w/ the team).

Captain Serious isn't happy about the game cancellations:

“It’s another disappointing but expected move from the league," Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said via text from Phoenix, where he is working with his personal trainer. "This seems to be our commissioner's bread and butter; it's almost like he is excited to take away hockey from the fans and the players just because he can. Personally, I still haven't heard a valid argument from the league for what they are doing, just that they want more and last time it wasn't enough. If they would be as determined to solve these issues as they are quick to point the finger at us (the players), this would be settled by now. But they aren't, and now we know we’ll miss at least two weeks because of it.”

Added teammate Steve Montador, who has been heavily involved in the negotiations: "It's something you could have anticipated given the nature of the negotiations lately. But when it actually happens you just have a sigh and realize if it wasn't real before it's definitely real now. It's disappointing and unfortunate."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...games-through-oct-24-20121004,0,1418374.story

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Question..

When you sign a contract, your agent usually gets about 10% of that contract give or take

If there's a rollback, do the agents get less money as well? Or is it still the amount they agreed on?

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Can't speak for anything else, but the gag order by Bettman on the owners is one of the smartest moves so far in this whole mess. The PA would be wise to follow suit.

Dado

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see the league pull out the nuclear option...contracting Phoenix.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see the league pull out the nuclear option...contracting Phoenix.

Now that would be a step in the right direction, so I doubt it happens!

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Dreger is an idiot, when he's not being used as a mouthpiece. Getting "ripped" by him is, if anything, a badge of honor.

I don't know, he's got my respect the day he was about to air live from ACC and took 30 seconds to come to my friend and I and talk to us about Nordiques (we tough it was a great idea to blend with all the Maple Leaves blue shirts and represent our dream).

Crows*

I don't particularly like dreger but Walsh is a complete moron. Seems like the boys at tsn are quite pro owner. Predicting complete lost season from 3 of them.

Dado

Seems like the boys at tsn are quite pro owner.

Probably because their paychecks are signed by an actual owner.

No possibility of unbiased reporting from those clowns - none at all.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Probably because their paychecks are signed by an actual owner.

No possibility of unbiased reporting from those clowns - none at all.

Can't call them clowns, there's nothing they've said to support one extreme or the other.

In fact I'd say they've stayed quite neutral throughout this whole thing.

Walsh simply attacks the owners every two minutes.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Can't speak for anything else, but the gag order by Bettman on the owners is one of the smartest moves so far in this whole mess. The PA would be wise to follow suit.

Good for Gary to get the best deal for the **** teams for sure. Although, removing the order and letting the big owners talk to their players that have awesome personal relationships would end the lock out very quickly.

Gary's gag order is why I predicted 2 months ago that this will be a 2 year lockout, which ****ing sucks.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Gary would give his life to keep flushing money down that toilet. Will never happen on that ****** bags watch.

MetalGodAOD*

More reason I think the sides are softening in Lebrun's blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19606/rumblings-who-will-make-next-cba-proposal

Both sides in the NHL’s labor impasse are a little gun shy with new proposals.

You have to think that will soon change, but there have been no new proposals tabled by either the NHL or the NHL Players’ Association since their dueling, rejected offers on Sept. 12.

The NHL has been front and center in saying the process won’t progress until the players bring forward a new proposal.

The NHLPA in return feels like it’s been the only side willing to compromise at all in any of its previous offers.

My sense, in speaking to various sources over the past few days, is that both sides, to a degree, are a little trepid to drop the next new offer for fear that the other side will simply pocket whatever compromise is included in that new offer and then use it as part of a future offer.

Eventually someone will drop a proposal, but it seems there's a willingness to compromise on both sides, they're just scared of losing their offer immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
^^I think the Hawks' rep is actually Mondator (Morrison wasn't offered a contract w/ the team).

Captain Serious isn't happy about the game cancellations:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...games-through-oct-24-20121004,0,1418374.story

I'm generally pro-owner on these sorts of things, but in all honesty I do sympathize with what Toews is saying here. I'd be frustrated too if someone was wanting to take more money from my pocket and couldn't articulate it in terms any more detailed then "Well, we think we need more."

That being said, IMHO the owners have at least given the impression that they are willing to negotiate to a settlement, whereas the PA seems to be borrowing from the Goodenow playbook that has only one sentence on one page: "Say no till they cave!". That is every bit as confrontational as what the NHL is doing.

And one could just as easily say that if the players were as determined to solve these issues as they are to partake in petty potshots against the commissioner of the league the vast majority of them grew up wanting to play in, then perhaps we wouldn't be where we are now.

BOTH sides should be red-faced with shame at the mistakes they've neglected to learn from. Again.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gary would give his life to keep flushing money down that toilet. Will never happen on that ****** bags watch.

You realize that Bettman's positions are the positions of the board of gov right?

And that NHL/Gary didn't want to be in this situation with Coyotes but were forced to take action to protect the rights of NHL (And rest of professional sport leagues)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You realize that Bettman's positions are the positions of the board of gov right?

And that NHL/Gary didn't want to be in this situation with Coyotes but were forced to take action to protect the rights of NHL (And rest of professional sport leagues)

Yup, and they are also morons to still have a team in a **** market.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't know, he's got my respect the day he was about to air live from ACC and took 30 seconds to come to my friend and I and talk to us about Nordiques (we tough it was a great idea to blend with all the Maple Leaves blue shirts and represent our dream).

I don't particularly like dreger but Walsh is a complete moron. Seems like the boys at tsn are quite pro owner. Predicting complete lost season from 3 of them.

Dreger's annoying...but he's not an idiot and usually knows what he's talking about. Walsh on the other hand...:shakehead

It's not as easy as that. Bettman holds a lot of sway - the # of votes it takes to accept a deal depends on whether Uncle Gary is onside or not. If he's not, 75% of the owners have to agree to it. As far as the "positions of the board of governors" - there's 30 of them. All we know at this point is all 30 wanted the lockout (which is no surprise). That doesn't mean that all 30 would be willing to settle at the same point...and this why Bettman plays such an important/influential role.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Good for Gary to get the best deal for the **** teams for sure. Although, removing the order and letting the big owners talk to their players that have awesome personal relationships would end the lock out very quickly.

Gary's gag order is why I predicted 2 months ago that this will be a 2 year lockout, which ****ing sucks.

How many owners have awesome personal relationships with players? Maybe Lemieux. I doubt even a fraction of the players have a 'I'll buy you dinner and let's hang out' kind of relationship with their owner. Maybe you're confusing owner with GM? I can see GM being more plausible but a GM wouldn't make much difference. It's not his money being invested so I don't think he'd be that influential to his boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad