When this tree fell in the forest, who noticed? (CBA & Lockout Discussion)- Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
1268404415_80220789_1-Pictures-of--Locksmith-Cerrajero-Rekey-U-Locked-Locksmith-Homestead.jpg

09-10-2012 Sides 'a long way apart' (MOD: CBA negotiations status thread)
09-13-2012 Lockout Looming (MOD: CBA negotiations status thread) - Part II
09-15-2012 No last ditch attempt to avoid lockout (CBA Negotiations status thread) - Part III
09-21-2012 Only game being played is the blame game(CBA Negotiation discussion thread) - Part IV
09-30-2012 When this tree fell in the forest, who noticed? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part V

Coming soon: index of other Lockout threads.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Lord... a guy has a bit too much to drink and gets emotional and you think it's scary? Jesus. Get a grip.
Welcome to the internet.

Way to completely react to someone being melodramatic

Yep, your right. Complete overreaction on my part. I posted what I did before getting to his "sign off". Anyone tweeting an alcohol induced, melodramtic manifesto talking about Wild West justice, beautiful family, "from the heart" references, and "what I can conquer tomorrow to get our family ahead" rant... pardon me if I seemingly drew a parallel.

Grip achieved! Now back to the overpaid, under-achieving, financially irresponsible pluggers who are part of the deprivation of my hockey season posts.

Puckstopper

Oct 19, 2006
Barch is a bit deluded. Its very difficult for the NHL to sustain 30 teams which is one of the reasons there's a lockout. If this were a different era with less teams it would put marginal players like him right out of a job.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
@drosennhl Steve Fehr said they did not discuss critical economic issues today "as was the plan." He said there is no meeting scheduled for Monday.

@KatieStrangESPN #CBA Day3 of labor talks btwn NHL/PA has finished. No plans to meet tmrw, per S. Fehr. League indicated they needed time to meet internally

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
@KatieStrangESPN #CBA Fehr said HRR was not topic of discussion. Two sides talked about player safety issues and CBA legal issues. Said it was productive

Sounds like we should start seeing HRR talks this week.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
Just read on hockeybuzz that Eklund thinks if the NHL decided to grandfather existing contracts, it could lead to a new deal.

Ya ya, he's eklund, but I think it's an intriguing idea. Nobody gets their salary rolled back, they just have to be better to get the same amount in the future. The NHL would get their HRR split they want, it would just take a few years for current contracts to expire.

Does anyone else think that would be a good idea, and would an offer like that from the NHL lead to a new CBA?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
@drosennhl Steve Fehr said they did not discuss critical economic issues today "as was the plan." He said there is no meeting scheduled for Monday.

@KatieStrangESPN #CBA Day3 of labor talks btwn NHL/PA has finished. No plans to meet tmrw, per S. Fehr. League indicated they needed time to meet internally

If they did not discuss core issues today, wonder what was tabled or pointed out that the League needs to meet internally?

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
Just read on hockeybuzz that Eklund thinks if the NHL decided to grandfather existing contracts, it could lead to a new deal.

Ya ya, he's eklund, but I think it's an intriguing idea. Nobody gets their salary rolled back, they just have to be better to get the same amount in the future. The NHL would get their HRR split they want, it would just take a few years for current contracts to expire.

Does anyone else think that would be a good idea, and would an offer like that from the NHL lead to a new CBA?

I agree the owners should honor the contracts they signed with the players. I think if they used that to sell future HRR roll-backs it could be a basis for a CBA.

I am expecting them to start HRR talks this week after both sides digest this weekend's activity and work on proposals etc.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

how exactly does one grandfather in old contracts while reducing the players share? Remove linkage? Just have newly-contracted players pay into escrow?

it doesnt make sense.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

That's 1 part on on the players side, they shouldn't have an immediate rollback and the contracts should be honoured. The owners did know this was coming but yet still were signing big contracts on the 11th hr of the old CBA.

But my biggest beef in all this is the PA's lack of urgency and playing the posturing game instead of negotiating and making the owners give them a good deal. This playing chicken game they are playing is a dangerous one and could lead the owners to really go all out against the players.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
how exactly does one grandfather in old contracts while reducing the players share? Remove linkage? Just have newly-contracted players pay into escrow?

it doesnt make sense.

Something like that. Increase escrow payments for any future contracts, lower max value of future contracts, limit terms on future contracts. They could basically get any new contracts to be structured as per the new structure and rules from the proposals, while leaving existing contracts to be exempt from the new rules until they expire.

They're all smart guys (exception: Krys Barch) and I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it.

Dado

it doesnt make sense.

No, it doesn't.

Then again, note the source...

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Shall we all forget that this is the same League which has drug out the Phoenix situation for this long and still isn't completely resolved. All yee have faith! Wise men are in charge.

(Inspired by the thread title.)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yeah, that works well with men, as wives and girlfriends everywhere can attest.

Some wives and girlfriends might just agree that their other-halves should be locked in a room somewhere together until this is all resolved, so that then everyone's lives can get back to normal (assuming that "normal" is good, of course).

Nov 1, 2011

it doesnt make sense.

I think the general way of doing this would be a hard cap of $70M cap until league revenues grow enough for the new percentage split to reach $70M with some additional twists rolled into that general idea (like once a team runs out of contracts that were signed before the lockout, they have to be under the new percentage cap).

Based on the "normal" growth of HRR, and the assumption that they end up with a 50/50 split, it should take about 3 years based on what I've read.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

What about this tweet?

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Expect CBA talks on HRR Monday. Should be announced later today.

Don't think Lavoie is making it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->