When the Oilers Will Make Playoffs

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I say 2017, and the reason I do is because when you look at the longest active Oiler players none have played any meaningful competitive games. When you are out of the playoffs by end of October, November, or December you don't develop as a team and the way you play is different later in the year your not cohesive or or team development when you play meaningless games.

Fans who predict playoffs don't realize beside the lockout year Oilers don't know what tough competition is. Really growth and development are stagnant with this team. It's why you must question keeping guys or trading them. You still don't know what you got, the problem is these are the guys you want to get you there.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
<Obligatory Jim Mora clip>

Don't talk about it till it happens. Then, just be pleasantly surprised. Or in serious shock. And keel over.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Chia might be in a bit of a pickle here. Being only 2 games out of a playoff spot, with important players on the shelf, can he really sit pat? If they end up missing the playoffs by.. says... 6 points, he will most definitely be blamed for doing nothing.

This team has a real chance to make the playoffs. He's taking a chance by sitting on his hands.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Chia might be in a bit of a pickle here. Being only 2 games out of a playoff spot, with important players on the shelf, can he really sit pat? If they end up missing the playoffs by.. says... 6 points, he will most definitely be blamed for doing nothing.

This team has a real chance to make the playoffs. He's taking a chance by sitting on his hands.

If he can bring in Hamonic without giving up a meaningful roster player I think.we could make it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If he can bring in Hamonic without giving up a meaningful roster player I think.we could make it.

Yep. And if he could get Hartnell, depending on what he'd have to give up, they're in. I realize you don't want to give too much just to get in, and most likely bow out in a short first round loss, but getting some playoff experience, a taste of it, has to start becoming important for this management team. Just waiting for the perfect moment makes the window smaller.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
2016-17.

New building and a new team that we can finally be proud of. Another year of development for McD, Drai, Nurse, etc. Chiarelli will fill in some holes. McLellan will have everyone playing a certain way. I think we'll actually be a decent team.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this year. An outside shot, but we're also currently 2 points out of 30th...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

How is that possible?

Regardless, it's way too early to talk about whether or not Chia will be a buyer or seller this season. More than likely we won't see any meaningful trades until the offseason. It'll be a better time to assess once the Oilers best player or one of and the rest of the 2nd line returns.

The biggest deal in season I could see is a Purcell trade if they are clearly out of it by the deadline.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I would be really surprised if we make the playoffs this year. Really tough stretch coming up, I could see them losing the next 5-7 games to be honest.

I would say next year but I have yet to see any evidence Chia has the wherewithal to trade core players.

So I am saying 2017-2018.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
I would be really surprised if we make the playoffs this year. Really tough stretch coming up, I could see them losing the next 5-7 games to be honest.

I would say next year but I have yet to see any evidence Chia has the wherewithal to trade core players.

So I am saying 2017-2018.

Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

Yeah, that could get ugly fast. How they do will say a lot about what this team is actually capable of.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

Yeah, that could get ugly fast. How they do will say a lot about what this team is actually capable of.

I honestly feel the next 5 games will define the season for us.

6+ points will be amazing.

Oct 15, 2008
Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Rangers
Blackhawks

They managed to beat Dallas and Montreal, both of which are statistically better than any of those teams. They are capable. Whether they actually do it or not is another thing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I honestly feel the next 5 games will define the season for us.

6+ points will be amazing.
We could beat the Sharks, Bruins and Blackhawks. The Rangers are my only worry.3-2 is a possibility. Is even love 2-1-2

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
They managed to beat Dallas and Montreal, both of which are statistically better than any of those teams. They are capable. Whether they actually do it or not is another thing.

Yes, they're a funny team like that. Beat Montreal, get shutout by the Leafs.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I don't really think he'd get that much flak if we just barely miss the playoffs. If they team is playing well enough to be in the hunt, I think he gets lauded already for GMing a team that has improved so significantly from the Eakins garbage. It's if we end up in the bottom 5 again that I think he gets hit with the real pressure to start making some hail-mary trades.

We could beat the Sharks, Bruins and Blackhawks. The Rangers are my only worry.3-2 is a possibility. Is even love 2-1-2

I agree with this. I'd be very, very happy with anything better than 2-2-1.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Well, it takes 20 games to learn a new system. In our last 10 games we're 5-3-2, which if continued through the rest of the year would be a 90 point season. That's what i was hoping for at the start.

Normally that would be out of the playoffs. (I believe, on average you need 94, but last year it was more since a few teams were really really bad.) I think over the next few years, 90-92 might be enough as the bottom teams are getting better and the best teams are getting worse.

Over the past 20 games the oilers are 8-10-2. 8 of the 12 losses (incl OTL) were by 1 goal, and 3 of those games i think the oilers should've won or at least gotten a point. (The LAK, CGY, and MIN)

Oilers currently sit 23'rd in goal differential, 20h in goals for/G, and 25th in GA/G.
However, are around league average in GA, and slightly above in SAA (Nilsson). They're pretty much league average in both PP and PK.

In the past 10 games they are 2.4 GA, and GF, with the TOR & CAR sticking out as outliers.

So realistically they need to keep their goaltending about the same, at 2.4 GA/G, which would be about 17th in the league. And they need to get their GF up to about 2.7 GPG. (an extra 16 goals over the next 54 games). Those 16 goals would bring those tight 1 goal losses into wins or overtime losses.

To compare, last year 26/44 losses were by 1 goal. This year it's 10/17, which is the same percentage. but in the last 20 it's been 8/12 (again these numbers include OTL), and in out last 10, 3/5 were by 1 goal losses.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
This month is make or break time. Lots of divisional games at the end of the month that are must wins if we want to make the playoffs. Honestly this is playoffs for us right now... We've gotta manage to go above .500 here.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Those next 5 games are very daunting. If we can somehow stay 2-2-1 or better in that stretch, I will call it a big success.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
If theoilers are within 6-8 points of a spot when McDavid returns, it will be a great final 3 months. Best hope for this year was to finish out of the cellar and in the hunt until late March. Given the weakness of the division that scenario isn't nuts.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I am thinking once Yak/McD/Poo get back, we need to see where things sit for about a month. We are three points out, missing our entire 2nd line which was good for a goal a game when they were out there

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Yep. And if he could get Hartnell, depending on what he'd have to give up, they're in. I realize you don't want to give too much just to get in, and most likely bow out in a short first round loss, but getting some playoff experience, a taste of it, has to start becoming important for this management team. Just waiting for the perfect moment makes the window smaller.

If we do not make playoffs we should play meaningful games in March for the sake of development. Usually Oilers have play relatively well in the spring when the did not have pressure on.

If we are still within 4-5pts in the Late January Yak and McDavid may push the team to playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00