When the Oilers Will Make Playoffs

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Chia might be in a bit of a pickle here. Being only 2 games out of a playoff spot, with important players on the shelf, can he really sit pat? If they end up missing the playoffs by.. says... 6 points, he will most definitely be blamed for doing nothing.

This team has a real chance to make the playoffs. He's taking a chance by sitting on his hands.

Meh, zero expectations coming into the year and if the Pacific wasn't such a tire fire we would be dead and gone.

No reason to pretend like this is one of the better teams in the league just yet...If they make it great! But that will ONLY be because the other teams in our division are also crap.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't expect the Pacific division to be that competitive anytime soon. The Canucks are a tirefire, the Coyotes won't compete right away, the Sharks are reaching the point of no return, and only the Kings and Ducks are legitimate contenders (with even the Ducks not looking so hot these days).

The Flames will be good but they need to ditch their idiotic head coach and they really need to trim the fat off that atrocious blueline.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Meh, zero expectations coming into the year and if the Pacific wasn't such a tire fire we would be dead and gone.

No reason to pretend like this is one of the better teams in the league just yet...If they make it great! But that will ONLY be because the other teams in our division are also crap.

I suppose. Getting tired of writing seasons off before Xmas, tho. You are supposed to compete in each season you compete in. Oilers' management hasn't competed in the present for 6 seasons.

I haven't seen any evidence that that has changed. They are still operating under the umbrella that status quo is worth maintaining because all these players will just get better.

I realize that the right trade won't come now. Just tired.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Let's just take this time to relax and enjoy not being in last place. :)

And root for the flames to flicker softly into the night. :popcorn:

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Latest update:

GP W L OTL PTS ROW GF GA DIFF
2014 9-Dec 27 7 15 5 19 7 60 97 -37
2015 9-Dec 28 11 15 2 24 9 71 82 -11

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Latest update:

vh2l3

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Latest update:

vh2l3.jpg

Holy **** it's tough to get that made on mobile :laugh:

But seriously what a difference that is already considering we haven't had a healthy top 6 all year.

And ference got a few games :D

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^yeah I would say 26 goals in a 28 game span is a pretty big difference!

Imagine Talbot hadn't choked up even 7 of his 10 stinkers, and we are in the playoffs right now.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Imagine Talbot hadn't choked up even 7 of his 10 stinkers, and we are in the playoffs right now.

i think that cuts both ways though, nilsson has stolen a couple games and talbot gave a couple away.... i think we're about even on goaltending so far through the season (which is an improvement over the past few years, lol)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I'm not sure I can ever forgive him for that Calgary goal...lol

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
i think that cuts both ways though, nilsson has stolen a couple games and talbot gave a couple away.... i think we're about even on goaltending so far through the season (which is an improvement over the past few years, lol)

Overall save % is still below average. Only now is Nilsson creeping above the league average of .915.

Average goaltending = stealing a couple every now and then. We seem to forget that as Oiler fans!!!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This is the first time since 2008-09 that the Oilers still have a realistic chance at making the playoffs as of the second week of December. Other than 2012-13, but lockouts don't count.

If Nilsson continues trending in the right direction and the Oilers get healthy they really could make it this year. Still leading the league in man games lost. :shakehead

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
When we can have a year without so much "dead" money. From what I understand, there is 7.5 million sitting dead for Nikitin, Scrivens and now Fayne who were sent down. Now add to that another 6-8 million for the injured #1 line players out, plus 3.75 million for Ference to eat popcorn during the games. #Ouch!

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I wouldn't expect the Pacific division to be that competitive anytime soon. The Canucks are a tirefire, the Coyotes won't compete right away, the Sharks are reaching the point of no return, and only the Kings and Ducks are legitimate contenders (with even the Ducks not looking so hot these days).

The Flames will be good but they need to ditch their idiotic head coach and they really need to trim the fat off that atrocious blueline.

I'll take Wideman off of their hands. They can have Schultz.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
:sarcasm:Wasn't there a thread in the main board about why Buffalo's rebuild has been so much more successful than Edmonton's? Can't find it anymore....;)

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Not sure if this has been discussed, but the Oilers have a pretty soft January and a manageable February (in my opinion at least).

If this team can stay in the hunt to close out a tough finish in December, I think we actually may have a shot at being in contention going into the Trade Deadline. Biggest thing is going to be stay healthy while we wait for some of the banged up bodies to get back into the line up.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I haven't been this happy as an Oilers fan in a while during season play, our off seasons have always provided so much hope so its nice to see something great happen during the season. I'm wondering though does this kind of lessen the need to make the blockbuster trade for a defencemen.
Do they make the trade to push for a playoff spot?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I still don't think we're a playoff team this year (although I'd love to be proven wrong). We're only as close as we are due to the Pacific Division being as bad as it is. Definitely improvements from last year, but I think we're still a little ways off.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
These next eleven games will determine if this team is contender or pretender. Road trip must be better than the previous one. The Pacific Division is weak and if Oilers can get 12 pts in the next 11 games they will stay in SC race until the half season mark then anything can happen because 2nd line lead by SonOfDavid will be back from injury reserve.

Make a hope alive:handclap:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I still don't think we're a playoff team this year (although I'd love to be proven wrong). We're only as close as we are due to the Pacific Division being as bad as it is. Definitely improvements from last year, but I think we're still a little ways off.

Even with how bad we've been this year the Central Divison is starting to cool off. We're only 7 points back of a wild card spot with 52 games to go.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Surprisingly we are above play off line. :handclap: I still have doubts that we can get in but let us see how the trip goes. Calgary plays well too Coyetes and Sharks seem to ne in the free fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad