When the Oilers Will Make Playoffs

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Worst defense in the league?

Awful goal tending?

Terrible bottom 6?

Take your pick.

I choose all of the above, although I think the D makes everything else look much worse than it could be.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think they will make it this year as long as the goaltending is above average. I think they will score at least 40 more goals this year than last and the defence is at least marginally better than last year.

Goal tending is big issue here. Todd is running Nisse now. If he gets the hot ride during this road trip we may have a chance to be 0.500 team. If we are below that prior to Christmas ... Don't even dream about playoffs!

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We should be patient and realize that a decade of utterly incompetent management isn't going to fix itself in 20 games.

We need to replace the deadweight with NHL calibre guys. We can consider a deal trading a forward for a good dman.

Patience is a fruit of the Spirit but 10 years means alieanation from reality

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
One way to get back into playoff picture is to trade for Hammonic. We can turn most of our one goal losses to overtime. I do not tell that he is 100% solution to turn the ship around but it is madness to run 3 rookies in the same night

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
One way to get back into playoff picture is to trade for Hammonic. We can turn most of our one goal losses to overtime. I do not tell that he is 100% solution to turn the ship around but it is madness to run 3 rookies in the same night

And even more Madness that 2/3 rookies are easily our best Dman night in and night out (Nurse/Klefbom) if you are referring to Nurse, Reinhart and Davidson then I agree, only one of Davidson and Reinhart should be dressing (unless it men's Ference dresses) and unfortunately I think Davidson has outplayed Reinhart lately. let's hope Reinhart adjusts over the next couple years and takes a note from Draisaitl and work on his first couple steps, otherwise that trade is going to look horrible for Edmonton.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
And even more Madness that 2/3 rookies are easily our best Dman night in and night out (Nurse/Klefbom) if you are referring to Nurse, Reinhart and Davidson then I agree, only one of Davidson and Reinhart should be dressing (unless it men's Ference dresses) and unfortunately I think Davidson has outplayed Reinhart lately. let's hope Reinhart adjusts over the next couple years and takes a note from Draisaitl and work on his first couple steps, otherwise that trade is going to look horrible for Edmonton.

you are right but they are dressing for every game because of thin defense depth.
We need to find a taker for Ference and take a bad forward contract in return we cannot afford to keep him in the roster. Then Davidson and Reinhart should be put into rotation with Gryba

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pacific division is so bad this year. Hardest part of the schedule is almost over. I say we make it this year! We sneak into 3rd in the Pacific in the last game of the season bumping Vancouver to 4th.

No, I don't do drugs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pacific division is so bad this year. Hardest part of the schedule is almost over. I say we make it this year! We sneak into 3rd in the Pacific in the last game of the season bumping Vancouver to 4th.

No, I don't do drugs.

it's definitely possible. I don't buy that the odds say it's like a 1% chance either. We're 7 points out, and we have a lot of solid players who are doing well, and the team is evolving every day.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Not sure what year but I'm pretty sure it will be in April sometime...

To be honest I don't think it is too far fetch to say that the oilers could potentially make the playoff this year. It would take some good hockey , but I still believe ot os doable. Feels like a different team this year if they cam come back in the standings like have been in games by never giving up.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

No, I don't do drugs.

The Pacific is certainly terrible, but the Ducks are a lot more likely to take a step forward than the Oilers, and I think the Flames have a slightly better chance than Edmonton when it comes to improvement, given their results last season. To make matters worse, I don't expect the Canucks will get much worse than they currently are... I think they'll hover around their current PPG more or less, if not even improving ever so slightly.

I think it's becoming glaringly obvious that the Oilers defense needs big upgrades, and the dice roll in goal didn't work out so well, or at least not well enough to make up for their defense. The positive is that with Draisaitl taking a big step forward, a guy like RNH could be dealt for a pretty hefty return. With a return of McDavid and a deal for defensemen, I suppose there is a very remote chance Edmonton could outpoint the Ducks, Canucks and Flames by a healthy enough margin to climb into a playoff spot. But if those moves aren't made, I don't see a chance of getting even within a sniff of a playoff spot.

With the strength of the Central, I don't think any of the wild card spots are going to be up for grabs anytime soon either.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
It's pretty obvious at this point that there's no chance at playoffs this year. I would guess that the earliest we could make the playoffs would be in 2018, but my gut says it will be longer.

Because of the Pacific divison, there is a chance, but there has to be a decent winning streak soon, the problem is there are too many te ams in between and just average .500 hockey over the next while, will not gain any ground, as you are not chasing just one team.

jersey1302

Oct 18, 2015
Niverville, MB
IMO when the oilers make the playoffs it will be when you get a seasoned D veteran to help out all the young guns. Yak can be part of a trade with another D member to boost your D. All you have is young guns leading the team that you have built through the draft. They all need someone to look up to including Hall even though he is considered a vet now. Oilers have to do something.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The next four games are make or break games. We are 9 pts away from the play off spot. I do not say how many games we should win but after 4 games the gap must be narrowed.

Schultz will come back. As Schultz goes so goes Edmonton. He is able to move the from the puck and that what our forward need. Let us see what happens. I do not want to see the Oilers playing meaningless games after thanksgiving.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

No, I don't do drugs.

We need about 1.3 points per game to get in with 95 points. (60 games left). That's a 65% win rate. Right now at a 27% win rate so far for the year.

They couldn't win 2/3 of their games in this NHL even with goaltending and a solid defensive core unless they make the nets bigger on one end of the ice only.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The next four games are make or break games. We are 9 pts away from the play off spot. I do not say how many games we should win but after 4 games the gap must be narrowed.

Schultz will come back. As Schultz goes so goes Edmonton. He is able to move the from the puck and that what our forward need. Let us see what happens. I do not want to see the Oilers playing meaningless games after thanksgiving.

Too late....

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This is miraculous we are just 5 pts behind play off spot at the 1/3 season mark. Coyotes have a lot games against non-playoff teams so Oilers must really keep winning so we can see some meaningful games in the Christmas season.

I really hope that Chia Finds a way to improve team right now. If we are 5pts away from playoff spot when Yak and McDavid return, you never know...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This is miraculous we are just 5 pts behind play off spot at the 1/3 season mark. Coyotes have a lot games against non-playoff teams so Oilers must really keep winning so we can see some meaningful games in the Christmas season.

I really hope that Chia Finds a way to improve team right now. If we are 5pts away from playoff spot when Yak and McDavid return, you never know...

If Chia can make a game-changer trade which pushes the team to the playoffs, that would, of course, be a good thing.

However, if this group, as is, manages to squeak in, due as much to the weakness of the Pacific division than anything else, I fear that could lead to false belief in this group, which has been the root of the problem with this organization for 3 years.

That said, I have confidence that Chia sees that this group is not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad