When the Oilers Will Make Playoffs

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
When we make this question first time maybe 5 years ago the thread was alive many years. Finally the fans lost the hope and many thougt that we will neve make playoffs.

I think that we have limited chance to make playoffs if team is healthy and some can bounce back but more probably we will get 80-90 pts. Even 90 is not enough to make it.

Most obviously we will make it in the next season and this season should be used to bring McDavid, Draisalt and GR maybe even Nurse slowly to majors. Allthough Nurse seems to be in the need of whole Season with Condors.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Most have us predicted at 2017

This is a legit development year, familiarize themselves with TMac's system, breaking in the rookies, and getting the defense more mature.

We will be a cup threat in 3 years.

These kids need to ripen a bit.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think they make the playoffs in the 2017-2018 season. There are still some major holes on defense and some question marks in the top 9. Not to mention, I have no idea how the goaltending situation is going to play out. With that being said, If the Oilers can acquire one of Seabrook/Byfuglien in the offseason then I think they will make it in next season.

Oct 15, 2008
Maybe next year. Mact's boat anchors will prevent any hope of making them this year. Good thing we kept him in the organization hey?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I suspect we won't make the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't say it's as much as a long shot as some people think. There's a lot of "ifs" that would have to fall into place, but if we're able to get average goaltending, and our D can improve to league average, I think they have a shot.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'd become a devout Christian
Doesn't that work the other way round?

I'll say it. The Oilers could make the playoffs this year. It probably won't happen, but if Talbot can stop some pucks and Sekera is the real deal that will give the club a lot more stability than they've had in recent seasons. If this team can get a PP that starts working for them and good plan for the 3 on 3 ...

Am I doing it right?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Here is something fun to think about:

All other things being equal outside of the goaltending change, the difference between Talbot's save % (.926) and Scrivens (.890) means that out of the roughly 2460 shots we gave up last year, Talbot would have saved 88 more shots. 88. That is 88 goals not going in. Even expecting slight regression from Talbot, let's call it 70...

That is all.

(we're going to be very, very, close this year I predict)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oil were 35 points out of a playoff spot last year. That's a monumental hill to climb in a single year. I'll say no, they will not make it this year - next year is more likely. 20-25 point improvement this season, though.

Meaningful games in March, guys. That's all I want this year.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oil were 35 points out of a playoff spot last year. That's a monumental hill to climb in a single year. I'll say no, they will not make it this year - next year is more likely. 20-25 point improvement this season, though.

Meaningful games in March, guys. That's all I want this year.

One thing to consider is how atrocious the Oilers were against the West. No games won against the Ducks, Flames, Canucks, Jets, Coyotes, Predators... Have to think that changes this year.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Head says 82-85 points and no

Heart says:

1) we've seen what piss poor coaching and mgmt can do but never what good coaching and mgmt can.
2) the old coliseum deserves a proper farewell

Playoffs 2016

Last edited:

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
There seems to be one team each season that finished near the bottom the year prior and surprises by making the playoffs. Last year it was the Flames. The Avs have been in that boat too, so why not us this year?:D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00