When is the season ender press conference?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Here's the way I see it.

There's no question we have the skill and talent (at least up front). But the other intangible needed to make a deep run is that burning desire to want to win and run through the endboards to get there. These guys just don't have that intangible - at least not right now.

So the question Dubas needs to figure out is - who has the character and willingness to lay it all on the line and perhaps get bloodied to do so? He's obviously betting the farm that they will learn and get there eventually. However, it's not hard to see that some of these guys don't have this character trait. These are the guys need to go and you bring in guys willing to lay it out there.

For me, the first guy to go should be Nylander. I love watching him play, but I just don't see him going above and beyond what's needed.
most of this roster "that matters" has now had 4 POs in a row to make those judgements
there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with those that can't see who has or does not
after 4 years i don't see any learning growing changing.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Best bet Dubie is gonna do is trade Freddy for Murray and trade Kappy/AJ for a #5 guy vet defender ... probably is his capacity ... and team may get marginally better maybe even maybe if we get a 1st round match with Tampa as #1 seed we can get through it in 7 games ... big big maybes but possible ... if we wind up with Canes, Bruins, CLJ or Caps we are OUT again in round 1 as we can't get through those teams small ice games

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
most of this roster "that matters" has now had 4 POs in a row to make those judgements
there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with those that can't see who has or does not
after 4 years i don't see any learning growing changing.
Well, you know we aren't moving Matty or JT - so that leaves Mitch and Willie from the core needing to go. I'd also rather see AJ go instead of Kappy. I'd include Lilly in a big trade if it brought in a top 4D.

I guess this is why you and I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions....

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well, you know we aren't moving Matty or JT - so that leaves Mitch and Willie from the core needing to go. I'd also rather see AJ go instead of Kappy. I'd include Lilly in a big trade if it brought in a top 4D.

I guess this is why you and I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions....

It isn't a bad way to look at it, everyone is free game except for Matthews and JT. I thought they along with Andersen were our best players in the post-season.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
It isn't a bad way to look at it, everyone is free game except for Matthews and JT. I thought they along with Andersen were our best players in the post-season.

Include Rielly on that list.

Man has been holding the fort on a very shoddy defense since the beginning of his career.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Include Rielly on that list.

Man has been holding the fort on a very shoddy defense since the beginning of his career.

We need to actually give that guy a real partner. We've failed miserably on this. His best partner has been a 37 year old Ron Hainsey at this point.

Rielly has warts in his game but I thought considering how long he hadn't been playing and after an injury, he played great in the playoffs. No Nylander type "I am rusty" excuses, he just worked his ass off.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Best bet Dubie is gonna do is trade Freddy for Murray and trade Kappy/AJ for a #5 guy vet defender ... probably is his capacity ... and team may get marginally better maybe even maybe if we get a 1st round match with Tampa as #1 seed we can get through it in 7 games ... big big maybes but possible ... if we wind up with Canes, Bruins, CLJ or Caps we are OUT again in round 1 as we can't get through those teams small ice games

If I had to bet

Freddy for Murray (not necessarily for each other)
Dermott and Soup squeezed on 1 year deals
If Nylander is not dealt its both Johnsson AND Kapanen, not one or the other
Leivo is back
one of Schultz/Tanev/Vatanen signed
Ceci or Bogosian signed
another Leivo tier UFA is signed

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Mismanagement has plagued this team for 40+ years. Shanahan was looking like the guy who’d change that. Hired a HOF General Manager and the team appeared to be on an upward trajectory.... but then he let him go and hired Kyle Dubas instead. That upward trajectory quickly turned downward and they’re back to a laughing stock.

...but hey, I’ll see ya next year! Go Leafs Go! ... and don’t forget your wallet!

I have decided to not spend even a penny on anything "Leafs" related. I work my ass off for the money I make; pay the bills and then the little I have left over I spend on some things I like.

Given the pandemic and job security issues and potential physical/health impacts there is ZERO chance I spend any money on teh Leafs when the players/management are basically giving middle finger to the fans

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I had to bet

Leivo is back
Ceci or Bogosian signed

If he got Tanev & Hamonic, it would go a long way.

Reactions: ToneDog

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
sure fire way to be fired sooner. why is Murray a thing, he was awful this year, and not even trusted to play game 4 against MTL this year....

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I have decided to not spend even a penny on anything "Leafs" related. I work my ass off for the money I make; pay the bills and then the little I have left over I spend on some things I like.

Given the pandemic and job security issues and potential physical/health impacts there is ZERO chance I spend any money on teh Leafs when the players/management are basically giving middle finger to the fans

Just make sure that if you are building a house do not hire Dubas as your contractor. He will build you an 11 bedroom home with a one 2 piece bathroom and no kitchen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If I had to bet

Leivo is back
Ceci or Bogosian signed
If all of that happens then team slight bit better but still sitting in 3rd slot in atlantic or 4th slot ... it does not get team to challenging for a Cup next year ... Ceci and Bogo not right guys ... none of d guys you mention going to help us fight through a tough team ... we need 2 more Muzzy's and trade whatever you have to get those 2 guys ... Gudas and Edmundson would work ... both vets both play defense to die both could help Sandin Lily and Dermy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
sure fire way to be fired sooner. why is Murray a thing, he was awful this year, and not even trusted to play game 4 against MTL this year....
Cause he won 2 Cups ... Freddy has NONE and his only chance to get 1 is as a backup somewhere else

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Don’t forget how they lost against Boston because Babcock put Hyman out for SH faceoffs... Yet Keefe had him out to take strong side draws just like Babcock did. They don’t have a RH centre that can PK so that’s the best play for the coach. Amusing to see the contrast in reception. :laugh:

It’s almost like those who said a coaching change won’t move the needle on this terribly built team might have been on to something.

Keefe had Hyman out with the goalie pulled = no problem

Babcock did it = dubas fans cried foul

Keefe played the 4th line and trusted it more = no problem

Babcock did it= dubas fans cried foul again

Keefe: after the loss "there was no plan or purpose to our game" = no problem
Babcock: calls out players they gotta play well = dubas fans triggered

many other instances are the same

Keefe eventually took barrie away from 1st PP dutities and did not trust him = no problem
Babcock did that to barrie = dubas fans crying foul again

Reactions: rumman

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Cause he won 2 Cups ... Freddy has NONE and his only chance to get 1 is as a backup somewhere else
so we trade for someone who the past year has been dreadful, because sometime before he won 2 cups.... usually you want to bring in a goalie playing good at the time of acquisition

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad