When is the season ender press conference?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
so we trade for someone who the past year has been dreadful, because sometime before he won 2 cups.... usually you want to bring in a goalie playing good at the time of acquisition
It is different for goalers ... much like when everyone said 2 years ago Price was washed up but really he just had his 1st kid and his wife is brutal drama queen ... if you have it in you to win you can repeat ... it is like riding a bike

Reactions: ToneDog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You can be honest without throwing people under the bus.

This group is soft and so are it’s young fans. If you don’t want your feelings hurt than do better. Making 7-8 figures to play pro sports puts you under a lot of pressure to perform. When it doesn’t happen, people ask why. If you can’t handle that you should consider a different line of work.

I like the following quote:

"Don't be sorry. Be Better!"

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Keefe had Hyman out with the goalie pulled = no problem
Babcock did it = dubas fans cried foul
Hyman had a major injury last year. He shouldn't have even been playing. He has also grown a lot as a player since then. Hyman scored the tying goal.
Keefe played the 4th line and trusted it more = no problem
Babcock did it= dubas fans cried foul again
Because the 4th line actually played well this time, and the stars still got their ice time. They didn't with Babcock.
Keefe: after the loss "there was no plan or purpose to our game" = no problem
Babcock: calls out players they gotta play well = dubas fans triggered
You're cherry picking part of his comment, and Babcock said a lot more than "they need to play better". Keefe actually supported his players a lot, tried different combinations, and put them in positions to succeed.
Keefe eventually took barrie away from 1st PP dutities and did not trust him = no problem
Babcock did that to barrie = dubas fans crying foul again
Keefe did trust Barrie and play him. He took him off the 1st PP in like 1 game when he needed to shake things up, when Rielly had healed and was playing well. Babcock did a lot more than just take him off the 1st PP. He tried to completely change his game, and set him up to fail right from the start.

Reactions: Da Murf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Here's the way I see it.

There's no question we have the skill and talent (at least up front). But the other intangible needed to make a deep run is that burning desire to want to win and run through the endboards to get there. These guys just don't have that intangible - at least not right now.

So the question Dubas needs to figure out is - who has the character and willingness to lay it all on the line and perhaps get bloodied to do so? He's obviously betting the farm that they will learn and get there eventually. However, it's not hard to see that some of these guys don't have this character trait. These are the guys need to go and you bring in guys willing to lay it out there.

For me, the first guy to go should be Nylander. I love watching him play, but I just don't see him going above and beyond what's needed.

Watching Nylander near the boards makes me wanna punch my TV everytime; if I got the same bonuses he got; I might have punched a hole in my TV

I wonder what it is like to earn millions and absolutely SUCK at your job

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
It is different for goalers ... much like when everyone said 2 years ago Price was washed up but really he just had his 1st kid and his wife is brutal drama queen ... if you have it in you to win you can repeat ... it is like riding a bike
He’s been bad, lost his father awhile back as well, but he has been rough this year gotta be a better option

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Exactly, basically the prolonged version of this:
EfE77S9X0AEfbe6

Question is, will any of us still be alive when they get there. They've been trying to get there for 53 years. They can't even reach the first exit now and they've been trying to get there for 16 years. Must be one long ass road.

Reactions: PromisedLand

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He’s been bad, lost his father awhile back as well, but he has been rough this year gotta be a better option
Pitt can't even give him a raise they are so CAP saddled ... so if we gave him a 10% raise to max $4M for 2 year deal we save $1M per on CAP assuming we can dump Freddy ... it keeps us in running for a couple years until Woll is ready to take over ... like it or not freddy can't win a round 1 for us

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Question is, will any of us still be alive when they get there. They've been trying to get there for 53 years. They can't even reach the first exit now and they've been trying to get there for 16 years. Must be one long ass road.
I don't know,I hope so.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dubas is saying that Justin Holl is a top 4 defenseman on the radio right now. f*** me

No not you; F Dubas

I sincerely of this is a sell job; so he can package Holl + Nylander/Kapanen/Johnsson for a solid top 4D

but knowing dubas..... Disney opened Disney Land; dubas has opened the Dubasland

Last edited:

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Pitt can't even give him a raise they are so CAP saddled ... so if we gave him a 10% raise to max $4M for 2 year deal we save $1M per on CAP assuming we can dump Freddy ... it keeps us in running for a couple years until Woll is ready to take over ... like it or not freddy can't win a round 1 for us
not sure Murray can either....

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas is saying that Justin Holl is a top 4 defenseman on the radio right now. f*** me

With Jake Muzzin, yes.

Without Jake Muzzin, hell no.

Leafs management probably know this and signed the two to a combined $8 million hit. That's really solid for a 2nd pair which Keefe used as a 1st pair a lot.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

dude if pens can't give murray 4M; how can they afford keep freddy at 5M

Reactions: rubous

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Somebody ask dubas if all they taught at Brock was to make pointless false statements. This guy needs to shut up and just focus on correcting this team. 2020 was the biggest failure year for the leafs since I started watching the team(10 years not that long but still). We regressed horrendously from a defensive standpoint, had the David Ayres game, and got eliminated by a team we were favored over(and we should have been much more favored if the team didnt already have a history of not showing up come playoffs)

Justin Holl is a number 5 defender when hes on but over the course of a season is just an bottom pairing guy with no upside and a soft play style. He should be a trade target this year. Get rid of him and save 2 million. Either replace him with lethenon on bottom pairing if Dubas isnt willing to upgrade the Right side on all three pairs or do the correct thing and aquire 4-5 nhl defenders who can play ( 2 top 4) and 2-3 bottom pairing types who can play and rotate with our defense having great depth so no more garbage players like Holl/Ceci/Marincin/Barrie ver play a game for the leafs again

Reactions: PromisedLand

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is there any reason you think he's not a top 4 defenseman? Keep in mind that's at least a top 124 defenseman in the league

With Jake Muzzin, yes.

Without Jake Muzzin, hell no.

Leafs management probably know this and signed the two to a combined $8 million hit. That's really solid for a 2nd pair which Keefe used as a 1st pair a lot.

If you need Jake Muzzin to carry you and you look like at best a 6th defenseman without him, you're not a top 4 defenseman.

He's a 8th-9th defenseman on the NYI, CBJ, TBL, BOS etc.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I don't think a goalie change happens unless there's huge savings involved.

If the leafs want to run a tandem of Cambell + another $2 million goalie or something like that.

Da Murf

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary AB

I hate this comment everytime if you go back 53 years how many members of the leafs brass were alive . Go back 16 years Dubas will be the GM in the OHL in 7 years, Shannahan is one year removed from winning a cup and Keefe is about to retire from the AHL. If you want them blamed for the last 2 seasons and plan on changing Management every two seasons it might be wise to have a backup team because it normally takes 2 years to replace the players who don't fit the new system and move forward.

Reactions: 4thline

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think a goalie change happens unless there's huge savings involved.

If the leafs want to run a tandem of Cambell + another $2 million goalie or something like that.
TBH I can't see any other team in NHL taking on freddy at $5M per ... way too much for a playoff backup contingency

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If you need Jake Muzzin to carry you and you look like at best a 6th defenseman without him, you're not a top 4 defenseman.

He's a 8th-9th defenseman on the NYI, CBJ, TBL, BOS etc.

Completely agree, but thankfully they have Jake Muzzin. And as long as Muzzin/Holl stay together, it doesn't really matter what Holl is on his own.

As a matchup pair, they were legitimately very, very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad