When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I remember we used to have a pretty good PP and PK under Ralph Kruger. 5 on 5, not so much, and the coyotes were howling. And with a ****ty roster to boot, he was canned after 48 games.

Maybe Katz can give Ralph the title of Supreme Leader of Hockey Operations to lure him away from his prestigious football position.

I can kind of picture Ralph as Snoke.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny how we used to have the best PK in the league with guys like Grier and Marchant, but not enough top talent. Now it’s the other way around.

As for the poll, I think Chia panic fires TM before the month is up.
That's how it always is though. Top end talent doesn't equal good PK, but it should equal a good PP.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I remember we used to have a pretty good PP and PK under Ralph Kruger. 5 on 5, not so much, and the coyotes were howling. And with a ****ty roster to boot, he was canned after 48 games.
You also had players like Eberle coming out and saying how nice it is for a fresh start and to play with zero pressure because the season was over.

Team succeeding when games don't matter, doesn't mean much.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
As I asked yesterday and maybe it was responded to in the GDT, but how often to assistants get canned mid year? Seems to be something that would happen at season end.

Only time they really get canned is if the head coach is going too. Which I don't see happening.

Ideally what seems half ass realistic is PC should be having the talk with TM. Either you make the change now or this is the sword that costs you your job at the end of the year if things don't get better.

What other teams do or have done is irrelevant. A change needs to be made now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Of course it's relevant. When something never or hardly happens and fans expect it to then they only have themselves to blame for wanting it in the first place.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
maybe? we don't know
but you do?

Reinhart trade was a terrible one from the get go...again, no argument from me

Why would Sheri refuse the hall trade on August 15th? Is there something you know? For some reason he was able to strong arm Chiarelli who couldn't even get a draft pick thrown in with Larsson. For some reason the deal had to be done June 30th.

I wasn't aware some sort of hall no trade clause was being kicked in on July 1st.

All of this points to Chiarelli making rash decisions.

Reactions: Consultant

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Why would Sheri refuse the hall trade on August 15th? Is there something you know? For some reason he was able to strong arm Chiarelli who couldn't even get a draft pick thrown in with Larsson. For some reason the deal had to be done June 30th.

I wasn't aware some sort of hall no trade clause was being kicked in on July 1st.

All of this points to Chiarelli making rash decisions.
Maybe due to the start of the UFA period for starters

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Maybe due to the start of the UFA period for starters

Exactly... actually it was us that wanted to know what was happening prior to the UFA period. If we'd kept Hall, no Lucic and we would have signed Demers. Chia had his outs lined up and needed to know which option was available... and of course the Montreal/Subban thing was still to be decided.

We forced NJ to the decision and thus our leverage was (probably slightly) limited.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
There's a Rishaug video on TSN about the coaches. I'm unable to grab the link but it's on the right side of the main page. He doesn't think McLellan is on the hotseat but thinks an assistant being let go is at least being considered.

McLellan also took the blame for the PK today at his press conference.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe this is the same video Del is referencing, but I just finished watching a segment onThat’s Hockey. Rishaug is saying it’s premature to think they’re going to turf Mclellan but all options are on the table, including the rare move of firing an assistant mid-season. Rishaug asked Mclellan point blank who is responsible for the PK and Mclellan responded by saying “Ultimately, it’s the head coach”.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Maybe this is the same video Del is referencing, but I just finished watching a segment onThat’s Hockey. Rishaug is saying it’s premature to think they’re going to turf Mclellan but all options are on the table, including the rare move of firing an assistant mid-season. Rishaug asked Mclellan point blank who is responsible for the PK and Mclellan responded by saying “Ultimately, it’s the head coach”.
That's the one. They also just showed it on TSN and followed it up with footage of the PK. It's so f***ing bad. :(

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That's the one. They also just showed it on TSN and followed it up with footage of the PK. It's so ****ing bad. :(

I really think they need to bring an associate coach to strictly do special teams....take a football approach to it. HC, OC (Woodcroft), DC (Johnson), Special Teams (x).

If they’re not going to fire someone, then HIRE someone to fix it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I really think they need to bring an associate coach to strictly do special teams....take a football approach to it. HC, OC (Woodcroft), DC (Johnson), Special Teams (x).

Gregor asked about that yesterday morning and brought up the Kings hiring Pierre Turgeon as an offensive coordinator. McLellan's response was that most coaches have people outside the organization that they talk to for ideas. :ha: Not surprising the concept was lost on him.

Reactions: McFuhryous

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I thought Woodcroft was the specialty teams guy. Or does he run the PP and Johnson runs the PK?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Todd shouldn't get fired. This season is on Chia, he made it dramatically worse over the off season. Woodcroft can go also. My main beef with coaching is the special teams which Woodcroft controls.
McLellan lets him control it, and seems to stand by him, so McLellan should be fired just for that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Chia let Hendricks, one of our main PK'ers walk. He bought out Pouliot another very good PK'er. He also traded one of our best goalscorers for junk. He knew Sekera would be out half the season and his big move was to sign Russell to a horrible deal. He's been Mike Milbury bad, like I can't remember the last time Ive seen a GM so bad at his job.
Did you see Hendricks try and PK last year? It was embarrassing, he is not the reason our PK is bad.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I thought Woodcroft was the specialty teams guy. Or does he run the PP and Johnson runs the PK?

I imagine by now they are all huddling and creating a super concentrated mind meld of suck between McLellan, Woodcroft and Johnson. None of them can ignore the atrocities that are our PP and PK. And sadly, none of them have an answer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Every coach is going to say this. At the end of the day they are ultimately responsible, just like the GM is ultimately responsible for the team's on ice play.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

That's essentially what NHL teams do, they just don't call them that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Every coach is going to say this. At the end of the day they are ultimately responsible, just like the GM is ultimately responsible for the team's on ice play.

As he should. He's not going to throw an assistant under the bus and point the finger solely at him.

That's essentially what NHL teams do, they just don't call them that.

I'm aware of that, but not many employ a coach strictly to run special teams that I know of.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Jets are a better all round team so any decent player wil be better there than here.
and yet Hendricks plays more on the PK for Winnipeg than any other forward
The biggest thing isn't that we moved on from Hendricks, Lander and Pouilot. The problem is we didn't bring in a lot to replace them. We moved our 3,6 and 7 forward with regards to TOI on the PK. As well Sekera was our #1 d-man on the PK

We brought Jokinen in so that should've helped a bit, but it didn't. Even so there wasn't enough brought in to fill the voids.

With that being said I think our PK has been garbage going back into late last year, could be wrong but I thought that's what I heard on Gregor's show.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As he should. He's not going to throw an assistant under the bus and point the finger solely at him.

I'm aware of that, but not many employ a coach strictly to run special teams that I know of.
Do you want that though? I rather have a guy that knows PK and knows PP. Is there really a guy that knows both the best? Maybe, but I don't know that I have an issue with Woodcroft being the guy that just does PP and tape replay. He's pretty much focused strictly on the PP anyway. Problem is he sucks right now.

The other really issue is you don't have the time to have too many coaches. You only get "x" amount of practice time. Hence why they have to overlap. Now having some experts on the side that could be drawing things up and step in from time to time might work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad