When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Krueger wasn't that great of a coach. This board retroactively deciding he was is revisionist history due to the colossal incompetence of his replacement.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Do you want that though? I rather have a guy that knows PK and knows PP. Is there really a guy that knows both the best? Maybe, but I don't know that I have an issue with Woodcroft being the guy that just does PP and tape replay. He's pretty much focused strictly on the PP anyway. Problem is he sucks right now.

The other really issue is you don't have the time to have too many coaches. You only get "x" amount of practice time. Hence why they have to overlap. Now having some experts on the side that could be drawing things up and step in from time to time might work.

I don't think the answers are on the current bench (assistant coaches) otherwise *in theory* there should have been some sort of improvement by now and the PK not getting worse and worse by the game so I think it's worth a gamble to bring in a "special teams" coach. With what the one poster said about a Shark's player stating Johnson's PK scheme being "convuluted", then that's on Johnson. Why have a confusing PK scheme...it should follow the KISS principle and dummy it down. I'm sure there's someone out there who has coached at the NHL level that has handled both a powerplay and penalty kill (perhaps not at the same time with the same team) at sometime in their coaching career that would or might be able to handle both. At best (or worst?), bring in a guy just to fix the PK since Johnson and Mclellan can't get it done.

I don't recall the Oilers home ice PK numbers except the percentage which is just under 56% but the actual numbers I don't have. Just to get even with the next worse penalty kill in history for home PK percentage which according to Spector, was a Leafs team from several seasons ago with 69%, the Oilers would have to kill probably 20 straight penalties at home (maybe more) just to get back to being even/ slightly ahead of the team with the worst home ice PK in NHL history.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Krueger wasn't that great of a coach. This board retroactively deciding he was is revisionist history due to the colossal incompetence of his replacement.
This is potentially revisionist in itself and even if the plurality was what you describe most of my comments about Krueger at the time were positive and I liked that he brought positivity and pos thinking to the team which was important for them. Needs to be noted that incessant themes like "Wreck it Ralph" were more due to the movie and memes and convenient and that the firestorms were reactive and pretty unfounded. People just didn't like Krueger, on a personal or visual level and a lot of the attacks were very unwarranted. It seemed like he was in the crosshairs not due to himself, but due to the angst of the fanbase and org.

He was actually the first competent person in management with the org in sometime. Even though coaching was his incumbency here I'm almost certain his ability was perceived as threatening by Lowe and MacT who want a lifetime gig here. The potential fear was that not only is Krueger a better coach, he would be a better manager. Indeed he would. Intelligence goes far in management.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hope they lose 5-0 with 4 pp goals against just to see if this gutless organization acts on firing anyone.

Zero repercussions. Wish I had a job with such security.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure if firing him during the season is the answer. I generally like TM but I have grown tired with some of his decisions. I think the biggest problem lies with the special teams, PP and PK. The assistant coaches should be replaced and if TM does want it, then he needs to let go. I just dont know what coaches are all out there at this point in the season. Probably better to just wait on TM, but assistants could go at any time and I would be fine with it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1 goal in 3 games another PK that was 50% last night.

This is literally Mclellan getting a lifeline with Oiler standards.
I don't know that the PK was really bad yesterday, but at the end of the day when it's been horrid results are really the only thing that are going to be highlighted.

Even our PP, I didn't like the OT that much but we seemed to be getting a lot of SOG and even a few chances that missed.

Also, did Talbot get any save in the SO? Or were both misses? I didn't see the replay of the one if he got a piece or not. I mean the result was good, but he truly was beat on all three shots. He just seems so horrible in SO.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't know that the PK was really bad yesterday, but at the end of the day when it's been horrid results are really the only thing that are going to be highlighted.

Even our PP, I didn't like the OT that much but we seemed to be getting a lot of SOG and even a few chances that missed.

Also, did Talbot get any save in the SO? Or were both misses? I didn't see the replay of the one if he got a piece or not. I mean the result was good, but he truly was beat on all three shots. He just seems so horrible in SO.

If you have an accurate shot and go anywhere up high on either side, Talbot has no chance.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

No, Talbot never touched the puck in the shootout...though to his credit I do think he played the Getzlaf shot well so that he didn't have much to shoot at.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If you have an accurate shot and go anywhere up high on either side, Talbot has no chance.

With that shot you are scoring 40+ in this league.

'member how weak Doobie was high blocker side. That's still his weakness. Doobie's a Vezina finalist, second team all-star and has played in the last two all-start games. Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Not saying Talbot is perfect, but that criticism is a little weak.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
TM himself is failing to have the team ready to compete on a regular basis but even worse his assistants seem to have zero clue how to fix major issues with this team that THEY are in charge of. Firing coaches mid season is always risky and personally I don't think they can fire TM right now which is a shame because we're right in the zone of when the Pens seem to make mid season coaching changes and go on tears eventually winning the Cup. Only difference is we don't have a competent replacement option within the organization. Who are they going to promote? Woodcraft? Johnson? Fleming? Jesus just shoot me now, that's like impeaching Trump to install Pence. Would be nice to still have Nelson on the farm. Plus you don't can TM and let his guys stick around, they all have to go and replacing an entire coaching staff mid season would basically be hell.

Think the best option is to dump Woodcraft and Johnson and try to hire a couple experienced guys who are floating around out there without jobs maybe trying to eye up head coaching jobs eventually. Would love to see Woodcraft replaced by Adam Oates if they could reel him in, he'd probably have some ideas on how to get the PP going. Tippett is another guy out there I think could help with overall defensive play and PK. Who knows if either would be interested in an assistant role but if you come in and help turn the teams play around it's a good audition for future HC openings and if the team continues to fail, well likely TM is booted at season's end and you likely have a good shot at replacing him.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think there's a fairly good chance it'll happen now. If there was a longer break after this game it'd be even more likely.

Reactions: ujju2

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd fire Chia sooner than I'd fire McLellan and if you are going with that kind of direction I think it makes sense to allow the new GM to pick his own head coach if he so chooses.

Reactions: ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can't fire McLellan. Chia knows if he does that then all eyes are on him. Todd needs to be the fall guy if Chia has any prayer of surviving (and even then his odds are low).

Chia knows he's done as an NHL GM if he gets fired after this season. No one is going to hire him after both the Seguin and Hall trades are on his recent resume. He has Mike Milbury-ed himself.

Chia's play now is to "hold" McLellan for the rest of the year end, and fire him late in the season or at year end. And pray Katz buys his "give me one more chance with a new coach" excuse.

Reactions: La Bamba

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Please tell me there's video of this and it wasn't on a radio spot.

Also....Button for GM (this part is in jest).
Luv Button he tells it like it is, speaks his mind. Remember he couldn't figure out why we had sent JP down at the beginning

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Luv Button he tells it like it is, speaks his mind. Remember he couldn't figure out why we had sent JP down at the beginning

He is a straight shooter. I missed what you mentioned about him questioning JP being sent down.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
With the rumor that something might happen within the week if the Oil continue to suck, it might be sooner than expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad