When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As it should be. It's up to the GM to hire the coach. He made a bad choice with McLellan. Give Chia a second chance but if he messes up again it is totally on him.
I think ultimately, that is the bad thing about getting coaches and GMs with a good rep. It will take a lot more to fire them, but every failure is a black mark, and they do add up. We aren't at the point of firing with these two. I'm sure of that. I'd bet that's not on the table until the mid point of next season.

But the upside of having anyone with a good rep is that good reps are earned for good reason. I always think of the doom and gloom when Lundqvist is having a rough stretch, and everyone says he's just getting old and he's about to be a cap liability. The Rangers don't freak out and buy Hank out. They ride it out a bit, and adjust, and Lunqvist usually comes around and finds his game again. I'm sure the Oilers will be patient with their GM and coach for the same reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
what is your precedent for that? When did a winger like Hall return a great Dman? Hall was never on the level of someone like Benn. A good top line winger, but not on that top level tier.

It seems like most of the time, when a winger is traded the return is a lot worse than getting someone like Larsson. It's usually been for spare parts like the Kessel trade. At least we got a core player. Last season, Larsson was better than Hall. This season, it's the other way. Maybe next year it will flip back. To me that shows the trade was even.

As for the return, I sort of agree there, since we do need offensive Dmen more than anything, but we also needed what Larsson brought. I can't think of that OFD that we missed out on either, other than Hamilton perhaps. Or the Subban trade (although with the Subban trade rumor, I think we were just used to put negotiating leverage on Nashville)

Spot on. What some posters fail to realize is that one, good 1st line wingers don't return a premium and two, Hall's production was on a steady decline his last 3 seasons as did his value. His fate was kind of sealed when he disappeared the second half of his last season here. Also, the Larsson contract was $2M cheaper and 1 year longer.

There's no doubt that the Devils got the better player if we look at it in a vacuum but trades are rarely gauged purely from a talent perspective. There are a lot of other factors that go into trades.

Reactions: oilers'72

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think the reason why we hadn't hired a Sutter is not only are they honest they are blatantly honest. Would speak the truth about how things are run.

McLellan or Woodcroft can't be let go until there is a position to promote them. That is how it works.

Old Boy's Club. Lowe life.

Duane Sutter - Pro Scout or possibly even Director of Pro Scouting.

I'm not on board with bringing in Darryl Sutter. Yes, he's a motivator, but he needs a really strong assistant or co-coach like John Stevens. John Stevens played as much of a role in coaching as Darryl Sutter, just like Muckler played a big factor for the 80s Oilers.

I don't really know who to bring in. There aren't a ton of good names out there. I don't want a Crawford or Ruff or any of those guys and I'm not sure that Sheldon Keefe would be the best guy to bring in either.

I think Claude Julien is most likely if Montreal cleans house this summer.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As much as I dislike Chia's moves (or lack thereof) this summer I think McLellan has to go first. This is a team that should be much, much better than what they have been this season and the only person who can be blamed for that is the coaching staff. They simply aren't getting nearly enough out of this team. I'd be fine with firing McLellan right now but I doubt he'll actually get fired. If the team start next year bad as well then I'm pretty sure he's gone, but that's a long ways away and in the meantime McDavids last ELC year is getting squandered.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The two recent teams I compare this season's Oilers too are the Avs and Flames. Hartley, after missing the playoffs his first two years, got the Flames up to 97 pts and a 2nd round appearance 14-15. They slipped 20 points the following season, but he wasn't fired until after the 15-16 season was over.

The Avs had 112 points in 13-14 under Roy's first season, dropped to 90 the following season and fell another 8 points to 82 points in 15-16. Roy wasn't fired but officially stepped down in August of 16. His buddy Sakic, may have told him behind closed doors to go out respectfully by stepping down so he didn't have to fire his buddy...who knows.

I'm not happy with his coaching but I believe we are stuck with him until at least the mid-point of next season because of their performance last season. If they make the playoffs again next season, he may live out his contract. But if they are out of the playoffs by their mandated "bye week" next January, he's probably gone. He could take the fall for his assistants if he's told to find replacements for them and he refuses is the only way I see him surviving to the end of this season.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Someone needs to get fired now. This season is lost, so what is the point of having both Chiarelli and Maclellan running the show?
The team should either:

Fire Maclellan now. Hire someone who is not stubborn about keeping his useless buddies as assistant coaches even though they can't run special teams to save their life. Get a coach who can have the next few months to get familiar with the players so you aren't hiring someone in the summer who needs several months of "evaluation time".

Fire Chiarelli now. Get a GM who can use the next few months to "evaluate" and sell assets for picks at the deadline, instead of giving that opportunity to chiarelli to squander away as he has squandered away several other assets, while sitting on his hands for other changes that he probably should have made (addressing defense in the offseason, getting proper wingers, etc).

I think I'd rather a new GM be in place now to evaluate and change the coach according to his liking in the off season when there may be more higher caliber coaches available. I know this may be a rash firing, but the Oilers have no time to waste here. McDavid and Draisaitl are getting older, and you can't waste these years with mediocrity or worse. If you know a change needs to be made, make it sooner than later.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Someone needs to get fired now. This season is lost, so what is the point of having both Chiarelli and Maclellan running the show?
The team should either:

Fire Maclellan now. Hire someone who is not stubborn about keeping his useless buddies as assistant coaches even though they can't run special teams to save their life. Get a coach who can have the next few months to get familiar with the players so you aren't hiring someone in the summer who needs several months of "evaluation time".

Fire Chiarelli now. Get a GM who can use the next few months to "evaluate" and sell assets for picks at the deadline, instead of giving that opportunity to chiarelli to squander away as he has squandered away several other assets, while sitting on his hands for other changes that he probably should have made (addressing defense in the offseason, getting proper wingers, etc).

I think I'd rather a new GM be in place now to evaluate and change the coach according to his liking in the off season when there may be more higher caliber coaches available. I know this may be a rash firing, but the Oilers have no time to waste here. McDavid and Draisaitl are getting older, and you can't waste these years with mediocrity or worse. If you know a change needs to be made, make it sooner than later.
You are sadly mistaken if you don't think the majority of guys are like TM. Coaches and GM's bring their friends in. They bring people they know and trust.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
You are sadly mistaken if you don't think the majority of guys are like TM. Coaches and GM's bring their friends in. They bring people they know and trust.
To clarify, I have no problem with coaches bringing in people they trust. I have a problem with them not making changes when there clearly needs to be one. If your "friend" doesn't do their job properly and it is costing you, you should have no problem firing them. Business is business. This is the problem with hiring friends. If you are not willing to fire them when they deserve it, you should accept getting fired yourself by your superiors.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To clarify, I have no problem with coaches bringing in people they trust. I have a problem with them not making changes when there clearly needs to be one. If your "friend" doesn't do their job properly and it is costing you, you should have no problem firing them. Business is business. This is the problem with hiring friends. If you are not willing to fire them when they deserve it, you should accept getting fired yourself by your superiors.
As I asked yesterday and maybe it was responded to in the GDT, but how often to assistants get canned mid year? Seems to be something that would happen at season end.

Only time they really get canned is if the head coach is going too. Which I don't see happening.

Ideally what seems half ass realistic is PC should be having the talk with TM. Either you make the change now or this is the sword that costs you your job at the end of the year if things don't get better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As I asked yesterday and maybe it was responded to in the GDT, but how often to assistants get canned mid year? Seems to be something that would happen at season end.

Only time they really get canned is if the head coach is going too. Which I don't see happening.

Ideally what seems half ass realistic is PC should be having the talk with TM. Either you make the change now or this is the sword that costs you your job at the end of the year if things don't get better.

If this team had average special teams where would they be right now in the standings? Honest question as I don’t know.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
As much as I dislike Chia's moves (or lack thereof) this summer I think McLellan has to go first. This is a team that should be much, much better than what they have been this season and the only person who can be blamed for that is the coaching staff. They simply aren't getting nearly enough out of this team. I'd be fine with firing McLellan right now but I doubt he'll actually get fired. If the team start next year bad as well then I'm pretty sure he's gone, but that's a long ways away and in the meantime McDavids last ELC year is getting squandered.

I agree. Personal wise the big missing piece is moving Eberle. I don't think its that big of a hole. We consistently get scored on early and you can't blame that on Chia. Yes we bought out pouliot but I don't think he is the difference in making our PK top 10 or maybe 30th. Chia brought in jokinen who is pretty good PK. This is all on coaching at the moment. Bad Powerplay and Penalty killing is sinking us and losing tons of games. We are 13th in the league for goals for even strength. Its baffling how it has taken this long.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If this team had average special teams where would they be right now in the standings? Honest question as I don’t know.
Where would we be if we had below average numbers let alone average? Granted I think our PP would be considered below average, but the PK is just outright atrocious.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Where would we be if we had below average numbers let alone average? Granted I think our PP would be considered below average, but the PK is just outright atrocious.

Funny how we used to have the best PK in the league with guys like Grier and Marchant, but not enough top talent. Now it’s the other way around.

As for the poll, I think Chia panic fires TM before the month is up.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Funny how we used to have the best PK in the league with guys like Grier and Marchant, but not enough top talent. Now it’s the other way around.

As for the poll, I think Chia panic fires TM before the month is up.

We dont have any talent outside of 3 players

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Katz is waiting for his ultimate plan to play out...

President: Gretzky
GM: Messier
Coach: MacTavish

Aw man, do we really need to do MacT again? No other glory days guy we can bring in? Maybe bring back Buchy, Smith or Huddy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We dont have any talent outside of 3 players

At least that talent is top talent.

There were years here where it was literally Smyth and a bunch of nobodies.

The nobodies played better, though.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
those weren't panic trades

They were all panic trades. You can even add Reinhart to this.

Look at hall for an example. Why did that deal have to be done June 30th? Was Larssons trade to another team imminent? Would Shero refuse the deal if offered on August 15th?

He panicked and made a rash move. I even like Larsson and don't mind this one trade but after failing with Hamilton and Reinhart we saw a rash and super desperate Chiarelli.

Guy is anything but methodical.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
If McLellan thinks his staff is a package deal they should fire him asap. They are embarrassingly bad at what they do.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They were all panic trades. You can even add Reinhart to this.

Look at hall for an example. Why did that deal have to be done June 30th? Was Larssons trade to another team imminent? Would Shero refuse the deal if offered on August 15th?
maybe? we don't know
but you do?

He panicked and made a rash move. I even like Larsson and don't mind this one trade but after failing with Hamilton and Reinhart we saw a rash and super desperate Chiarelli.

Guy is anything but methodical.
Reinhart trade was a terrible one from the get go...again, no argument from me

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Aw man, do we really need to do MacT again? No other glory days guy we can bring in? Maybe bring back Buchy, Smith or Huddy.

If were bringing back anyone its Sather! Only good GM this org has had.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If McLellan thinks his staff is a package deal they should fire him asap. They are embarrassingly bad at what they do.
I don't mind the loyalty - it's the stubbornness that I can't stand. Sure, you don't fire your staff because you're loyal to them. However, there's a tipping point. McLellan's tipping point is whether or not his ego will be diminished. If so, it's right back to doing nothing to save face.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I don't mind the loyalty - it's the stubbornness that I can't stand. Sure, you don't fire your staff because you're loyal to them. However, there's a tipping point. McLellan's tipping point is whether or not his ego will be diminished. If so, it's right back to doing nothing to save face.
I agree somewhat on the loyalty but there is a point when your loyalty is costs tons of games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember we used to have a pretty good PP and PK under Ralph Kruger. 5 on 5, not so much, and the coyotes were howling. And with a shitty roster to boot, he was canned after 48 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad