When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Don't know enough about the Wheeler and Seguin trades, but the Hall one definitely was. He lost out on Hamilton and got scared so he overpaid for Larsson. Definitely a panic trade.
The Hamilton thing was likely about Boston not wanting to deal with a former GM. It was even reported that Chia had the best offer. So that's not Chia being a bad GM, it's just a politics thing, just like with so many trades around the league.

And no, he did not overpay for Larsson. Hall is a top line winger, but those don't return top pairing D-men. There is a heirarchy of position.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Unless the team goes 8-1 or 7-2 for the rest of the month of January, TMac and his staff should be gone by the All Star Break. He's not responsible for the lousy personnel he has to work with, but he's either failing as a tactician or the team has tuned him out already. Either way, it's time to move on.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
after all the talk yesterday about how everyone got in **** for the poor performance on newyears eve and then come out and duplicate it. todd im sure is a good coach his side kicks i have my doubts about them ,but it seems the team is not responding to the message being sent.something will have to give at some point ,but have my doubts we see a change this year. maybe to much contract left or hope they can rebound next year and chalk it up as growth

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
The Hamilton thing was likely about Boston not wanting to deal with a former GM. It was even reported that Chia had the best offer. So that's not Chia being a bad GM, it's just a politics thing, just like with so many trades around the league.

And no, he did not overpay for Larsson. Hall is a top line winger, but those don't return top pairing D-men. There is a heirarchy of position.

When you trade a great winger for a good defenceman you lose that trade 9/10 times. Larsson's fine but the Oilers still need puck-moving defense and that's the problem. Don't trade really good players for players that are so heavily tilted to one side of the ice (defence or offence).

I'd be interested to see if Chia fires McLellan. It'd all be on him afterwards imo.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Hopefully soon.

If you cannot coach a winning team with McDavid and to be honest a decent roster on paper 2/3 years, you should be out.

We get dominated the beginning of each game. PK is the worst in history. PP looks absolutely horrible with trash like Letestu on the first line all season long. Most static PP I have seen in the league, always looking for cross seam pass which other teams just stand there and take it away.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
if you can't win with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH down the middle and a healthy defense (and with Talbot, despite his struggles) then you're doing a terrible job
McLellan either fires his assistants for the terrible special teams work and if his ego won't allow that...then Chia needs to fire Todd by the TDL....bring in Sutter

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
if you can't win with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH down the middle and a healthy defense (and with Talbot, despite his struggles) then you're doing a terrible job
McLellan either fires his assistants for the terrible special teams work and if his ego won't allow that

then Chia needs to fire him by the TDL....bring in Sutter
Chia has shown an amazing inability to identify talent. Why let him hire the next guy?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Heard Ryan Rishaug on 1260 saying Johnson may have to go, due to the short-handed mess. IMO Head coach is ultimately responsible for the team and all special team play. If Johnson has to go, so does the head coach.
Is that his opinion or is he hearing something? I also don't know why the head coach should be fired for trying to improve his club.

He should be fired if he doesn't make changes and the team still continues to suck. But changing things up with how things are ran or firing someone shouldn't equal the head coach being fired.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
coaching carousels are hell, and I'd bet that Tmac would be quickly rehired by someone in the league, and it might end up like how Florida fired Gallant after one bad half of a season.

It's too knee-jerk to fire Tmac imo. I know that we went the route of switching assistants with Eakins, and it would have been better to just fire Eakins rather than drag that out, but Tmac isn't Eakins. He is a high profile veteran coach. I can't think of who we would hire in his place right now. Maybe Nelson, but we'd have to pay another pick to get him from Detroit.
Gallant was only fired because Rowe liked advanced stats and didn't like how the team was built under Tallon. He wanted guys that thought his way. Florida wasn't even that bad when Gallant was fired.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When you trade a great winger for a good defenceman you lose that trade 9/10 times. Larsson's fine but the Oilers still need puck-moving defense and that's the problem. Don't trade really good players for players that are so heavily tilted to one side of the ice (defence or offence).

I'd be interested to see if Chia fires McLellan. It'd all be on him afterwards imo.
what is your precedent for that? When did a winger like Hall return a great Dman? Hall was never on the level of someone like Benn. A good top line winger, but not on that top level tier.

It seems like most of the time, when a winger is traded the return is a lot worse than getting someone like Larsson. It's usually been for spare parts like the Kessel trade. At least we got a core player. Last season, Larsson was better than Hall. This season, it's the other way. Maybe next year it will flip back. To me that shows the trade was even.

As for the return, I sort of agree there, since we do need offensive Dmen more than anything, but we also needed what Larsson brought. I can't think of that OFD that we missed out on either, other than Hamilton perhaps. Or the Subban trade (although with the Subban trade rumor, I think we were just used to put negotiating leverage on Nashville)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

As it should be. It's up to the GM to hire the coach. He made a bad choice with McLellan. Give Chia a second chance but if he messes up again it is totally on him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The Jets and Kings were laughing out there and having a great time.

Not a peep from the big bad Oilers who turtled. No care.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
its not though, the Seguin deal returned a 30-goal player in Eriksson and Reilly Smith...who's has scored 25 goals and is on pace for 60 points this year in Vegas
Just like Dany Heatley returned a 30 goal scorer in Cheechoo...

You give up the best player in a deal you lose it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McLellan either fires his assistants for the terrible special teams work and if his ego won't allow that...then Chia needs to fire Todd by the TDL....bring in Sutter

Cool, more retreads. Why think outside the box anyway?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gallant was only fired because Rowe liked advanced stats and didn't like how the team was built under Tallon. He wanted guys that thought his way. Florida wasn't even that bad when Gallant was fired.
Florida was like us, around .500 when Gallant was fired, but you are actually right about that situation. It probably wasn't about results but about philosophy, so that is quite a bit different than McLellan in that way

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Fire a Mc and temporally replace him with a Mac then hire Sutter. It's about time we've employed a Sutter.

I think the reason why we hadn't hired a Sutter is not only are they honest they are blatantly honest. Would speak the truth about how things are run.

McLellan or Woodcroft can't be let go until there is a position to promote them. That is how it works.

Old Boy's Club. Lowe life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad