When does it become too late?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dubinsky and Foligno aren't low cap hits. Dubi is $6 million/year and Foligno $5.5. There's been value received, but not this year. If the last 4 years of a $35 million deal are bad, then the deal is bad.

"too early to tell" can be taken as = to "huge question marks". Bonino is a 4 year $16 million deal. It could turn out to be a (roughly) $8 million mistake if he's bought out after this year. Atkinson (41m)/7yr and Wennberg 6yr/$29 million have a combined $70 million worth of risk vs. $16 million.

Thanks for making my case stronger.
The point being, you're overfocusing on the current state of things as though doom and gloom is the new trend. I remember arguing with folks on the Preds board about that with Josi's concussions and Rinne's general performance and Smith's everything as well. It's the same nonsense.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Btw how is Joe deal looks so far? 8M for 48-50 possible points is good or bad i can't tell? I think since it's Poile deal, is too soon to tell, right?

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Btw how is Joe deal looks so far? 8M for 48-50 possible points is good or bad i can't tell? I think since it's Poile deal, is too soon to tell, right?

Looking OK. He started out very slowly but has come on of late.

Nashville is 6th in the league right now. The Preds have won 4 playoff series and 21 playoff games in the last two years. They came within 2 games of the Cup despite an injury to Johansen-which may have cost them the big prize. I guess you happened to miss those things about the team Poile has assembled. Start paying attention.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
As you guys know, my optimism level is always higher than the average person’s.

The optimism cup is slowly leaking and if we continue to be less than a mediocre team, then the cup will be completely empty by Valentine’s Day. And that might be too generous.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Who are the CBJ going to beat in the divison? Gotta beat three of them.

NY Rangers are probably the easiest mark. They're bad.

If Carolina writes off the Darling experiment and sticks with Ward, they could be a problem.

If the NY Islanders can make some progress with their defense and goaltending, then they are definitely a problem.

Philadelphia is on fire and their top line is very, very good.

Pittsburgh appears to be over their Cup Hangover. 7-3 in last 10 and the Big 3 are now all producing.

Washington isn't going to miss the playoffs.

New Jersey? Don't know much about them to be honest. Haven't watched them much at all.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
As you guys know, my optimism level is always higher than the average person’s.

The optimism cup is slowly leaking and if we continue to be less than a mediocre team, then the cup will be completely empty by Valentine’s Day. And that might be too generous.

My optimism is in a pretty bad leak.. I wish I was as excited for this Jacket's team like I was last season, but it's not there.

This team has serious problems- serious regression from many players (veterans), a coach that will bench Bjorkstrand, Milano after just 1 or 2 shifts in a game, the disastrous Johnson-Savard pairing, injuries, and for what I've been saying for a couple years- not enough skilled forwards, not to mention- a serious lack of production from our "leadership group" in game performance and probably in the locker-room as well. Part of me also thinks this could be the result of some players feeling a bit too comfortable after making the playoffs last season.

I might be in the minority here- I don't think this team is within a "2 year" window to even think about competing for a Cup. This team is a Wild Card team AT BEST. Personally, I don't want to be buyers at the trade deadline if it involves trading 1st, 2nd, 3rd round draft picks or trading of prospects that could be a difference maker in the NHL.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
NHL tonight crew taking trade comments from twitter

Tyler Motte and a 2nd for Rick Nash

Dave Reid and Kevin Weeks said both teams should do it if Nash would waive
Jarmo said He wouldn't trade a first for a rental, would He trade a 2nd?
Would it be a good trade for the Jackets? Nash has been good at times,
but seen him play some games where He really didn't appear to care any more.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

but seen him play some games where He really didn't appear to care any more.[/QUOTE]

So things haven't changed much...if I remember correctly he didn't care the last few years when he was here. No way should we give up anything for him imo.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Don't think he cared much the last few years he was here...no way do I want him back.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Too many slow , or just average speed guys in our lineup. So no thanks , unless Boone or Dubi is going the either way

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I pass.. This team isn't close to being able to make a Cup run this year. To give away a 2nd round pick for 20 or so games of Rick Nash who will be a 34 year old UFA this off-season seems like a waste.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I strongly disagree with those who condemn the Cam contract. He is coming off 4 straight years of 20+ goals & is still in his 20’s. Is he having a sub-par year so far? Yes. But the melodrama of some on this board acting like his career is over is simply ridiculous.

And frankly i see the same with Foligno. He has been in a horrible rut. But he is still working hard, trying to contribute. Too early to write him off.

Now Dubie is different. Besides whatever current issue he is facing, it has been pretty clear over 2 years now that his skills are in decline.

As for Pooh, he is a “never was” who is well on the way to being a “never will be”.

The Dubie & the Pooh contracts are going to be real problems in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I strongly disagree with thise eho condemn the Cam contract. He is coming off 4 straight years of 20+ goals & is still in his 20’s. Is he having a sub-par tear so far? Yes. But the melodrama of some on this board acting like his career is over is simply ridiculous.

And frankly i see thr same with Foligno. He has been in a horrible rut. But he is still working hard, trying to contribute. Too ratly to write him off.

Now Dubie is different. Besides whatever currentbissue he is facing, it has been pretty clear over 2 years now that his skills are in decline.

As for Pooh, he is a “never was” who is well on the way to being a “never will be”.

I think it's too early to judge on Cam's contract- I do think it could be worrisome in 3-4 years though. This could just be a down year for Cam and the team in general.
Foligno- He's always working, trying to contribute... The value on this contract is bad, but he can probably be a 3rd liner for a couple more years at least.
Dubinsky- His value is bad, his skills are declining. Honestly, I was just hoping he can "hold on" to what he has been the last year or so for another year or so.
Wennberg- I know this won't happen... But, I would look hard at trading him this off-season- No matter how odd or difficult it is to trade him... He'll still be a young center, scored 60 points a year ago, whose contract value pays him as a #2 Center. I'm sure someone will bite on him. I'm not sure if we'll get great value for him, but this could be the highest value he'll have here again... Maybe, he blossoms as a player somewhere else.

As for the draft- I don't trade our 1st or 2nd round draft picks- I believe our prospect depth needs an upgrade again after all of the graduations/trades.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Too many slow , or just average speed guys in our lineup. So no thanks , unless Boone or Dubi is going the either way

lol @ Boone in the same sentence with Dubinsky.

Don't think he cared much the last few years he was here...no way do I want him back.

For a few months? Depends on the price. We'd probably get a dead cat bounce.

It's weird how I was one of the very few people saying all along we weren't playing well. Now I'm probably one of the few saying as a fan base we've probably over corrected. I predicted bubble team from the beginning. Our play last last half of the season last year was pretty bad and if Bob is not playing at Vezina form we're not winning consistently. We've got the makings of a good team. Frankly I'd rather we just be patient.

I've already said my peace about Bob, Savard, Foligno. Probably the biggest disappointment for me this year is Wennberg. We've continued to make some poor personnel decisions. We tend to invest too much in players that have broken out recently. We also tend to let valuable players go. It is what it is. I think we tend to lose the big picture in the hopes of speeding up the process. Instead of just making the right decision every time, they tend to make decisions based on not having a better option or even desperation. Then they'll make a good decision like Jones. They are a confusing bunch.

The real question will be what we do with Bob. My guess is we'll be forced to pay entirely too much for him as we won't really have a better option. Torts won't actually develop Korp properly. He'll just overwork Bob and Korp will be luckily to play 20 games. With us playing poorly right now, I don't see Torts changing how he deals with goal tenders.

Reactions: EDM

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I strongly disagree with those who condemn the Cam contract. He is coming off 4 straight years of 20+ goals & is still in his 20’s. Is he having a sub-par year so far? Yes. But the melodrama of some on this board acting like his career is over is simply ridiculous.

And frankly i see the same with Foligno. He has been in a horrible rut. But he is still working hard, trying to contribute. Too early to write him off.

Now Dubie is different. Besides whatever current issue he is facing, it has been pretty clear over 2 years now that his skills are in decline.

I agree with the comments on Cam and his contract as I think he will bounce back. I do think it's a bit too long and to curtail that issue, the key will be to trade him a year while he's still producing and before he starts his decline....and yes, that can be both a tough and painful call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad