When does it become too late?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Who is this Dubinsky and Atkinson players to whom he is referring?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Give em **** all you want, it's a lot better than Motte, Hannikainen, Schroeder or Gerbe.

I don’t disagree, I just think it may be necessary to begin looking for help outside of the organization for our forward depth issues. Jokinen’s not going to cut it in the playoffs with his foot speed. And Matt Calvert does not belong in the top-9.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
26th ranked PK. 31st ranked PP. 21st in goals differential. 12-0-3 record in SO/OT.

Terrible special teams play has been covered by an unreal record in the SO/OT. Unless special teams improve, this team has little chance of making the playoffs. The SO/OT record can't be sustained.
Making anything happen in the playoffs, I'd agree. Making the playoffs at all, tho? Honestly, I think the absurdly good SO/OT record is just about as sustainable as the absurdly bad special teams.

Reactions: Monk

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Lol this isn't last season.

Thank you for noticing that 2017-18 isn't 2016-2017. What delighfult insight. You are trying to argue something that you can't prove or disprove. We have no idea what the team would look like with Saad instead of Panarin. To suggest the record would be worse, as some of suggested, is just homerism for the player they like.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thank you for noticing that 2017-18 isn't 2016-2017. What delighfult insight. You are trying to argue something that you can't prove or disprove. We have no idea what the team would look like with Saad instead of Panarin. To suggest the record would be worse, as some of suggested, is just homerism for the player they like.
No its just a pretty obvious observation that Panarin can be a major piece in leading a team and Saad can't.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not at all. This team has relied on OTs and SOs for a disproportionate number of wins. Panarin has made a mark in both OT and SOs that Saad would not have. Don't believe that? How many SO attempts did Saad take as a Blue Jacket?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not at all. This team has relied on OTs and SOs for a disproportionate number of wins. Panarin has made a mark in both OT and SOs that Saad would not have. Don't believe that? How many SO attempts did Saad take as a Blue Jacket?

/sigh

Whatever. We pretend that moving one piece on a team will influence the team in a certain, predictable, way. It doesn't work that way.

Peace out.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Daytonian

Nov 6, 2014
Dayton OH
I don’t disagree, I just think it may be necessary to begin looking for help outside of the organization for our forward depth issues. Jokinen’s not going to cut it in the playoffs with his foot speed. And Matt Calvert does not belong in the top-9.

Actually, Calvert is not Top 6. But give him his due. He is a good team player who had contributed and does what is required of him, no matter where he is slotted, 3rd line or 4th line.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Making anything happen in the playoffs, I'd agree. Making the playoffs at all, tho? Honestly, I think the absurdly good SO/OT record is just about as sustainable as the absurdly bad special teams.

Special teams have structural issues and this deep into the season aren't flukes and their rates of failure/success won't likely turn on a dime. OT/SO records are much more random in nature. So, no, the OT/SO trend isn't as sustainable. See last night. Get used to it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Special teams have structural issues and this deep into the season aren't flukes and their rates of failure/success won't likely turn on a dime. OT/SO records are much more random in nature. So, no, the OT/SO trend isn't as sustainable. See last night. Get used to it.
I have to admit I lay a big part of the SO loss at Torts feet. His selections of Jokinen and Wennberg IMO were poor. Jokinen is too far past his glory days and Wennberg.....it's not that he doesn't convert, it's that his attempts are usually so lame. JMFJ should have been in the top 4 - probably 3. That said, our SO choices once you get past Bread tell a pretty good story about the roster's skill.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I have to admit I lay a big part of the SO loss at Torts feet. His selections of Jokinen and Wennberg IMO were poor. Jokinen is too far past his glory days and Wennberg.....it's not that he doesn't convert, it's that his attempts are usually so lame. JMFJ should have been in the top 4 - probably 3. That said, our SO choices once you get past Bread tell a pretty good story about the roster's skill.

I'm with you on his choices of late. It's almost like Torts is just a contrarian. By that I mean, "if they're playing bad I'm going to use them more or put them in a situation to show that I trust them" even if there are better options.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

This is the move Wennberg keeps trying. Looks great when it works, looks like a dud when it doesn't. But he really has to find other moves to show the goalies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That only works against Vancouver because they were complete garbage in the shootout.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Special teams have structural issues and this deep into the season aren't flukes and their rates of failure/success won't likely turn on a dime. OT/SO records are much more random in nature.

They're considered random statistically, but that's not at all the same thing. The same is true of special teams, incidentally. Both are (relatively) rare enough events that figuring out statistically useful trends is kind of untenable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The goose is cooked this year. It's too late. If you're watching Columbus play like the way they have all year (And stop kidding yourself if you think they're going to start magically playing like last years streak team or anything close to it) and comparing it to the way Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Philly have been playing you will see this season is done. The bubble is popped.

I think next season is the biggest in franchise history because of the cross roads we will be approaching. Panarin is up, and if we don't pay up he's going to walk. Werenski is up, and even though he's likely going to get bridged, it's going to be a significant pay increase. And obviously the biggest question is Bobrovsky, as he is also up.

I don't see under any circumstance how this team can even fathom competing without Bob. He's had some bad games this year, and even hit some bad stretches of games, but without him this team is probably in the hunt for the FIRST OVERALL PICK, and that's not being dramatic, that's being truthful. Going into tonight..

27th ranked PK
31st ranked PP.
27th in GF.
10th in GA

Around teams like Vancouver, Buffalo, Arizona, and Montreal. All of these teams are bad. In GF there's almost a .20% difference between us at 27th and Carolina, who is at 24th.

Our GA is around a lot of teams who are easily going to make it in. Sure, there's some outliers like Anaheim (and us), but our goaltending has been very good on the whole this year.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Alright. This is absurd but here it goes.

I made a thread on the main board titled “Columbus: contenders or pretenders?” on October 28th. These were the Jackets stats:

GF/G = 3.20 (11th in league)
GA/G = 2.30 (3rd in league)
PP = 10.7 % (29th in league)
PK = 88 % (5th in league)
Faceoffs = 43.7 (dead last in league)
Goal differential = +9 (4th in league)

These are our current stats:

GF/G = 2.51 (29th in league)
GA/G = 2.73 (11th in league)
PP = 14 % (worst in the league)
PK = 76% (27th in league)
Faceoffs = 47.7 (28th in league)
Goal differential = -9 (21st in the league)

21 goals in the last 12 games (1.75 goals per game in that span). 5-7-2 since the Christmas break.. 3 of those losses coming to OTT, BUF, and VAN.

Wow.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To be fair, October 28th is a very small sample size. That's like, what, 7 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad