Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
"Could of" is just a colloquial version of "could've", which is a contraction of "could have". Perfectly acceptable on a hockey forum in a thread about Wheeler's contract.
You need to go back to grade 2 English.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Wheeler needs to play with Scheifele to get his points; take him away from Scheifele and 1PP and is he even a 70-point player anymore? I doubt it.

What a ridiculous statement. Wheeler earned his position and time. He’s what makes our power play go.

“Derpy dur, I wonder if McDavid would have as many points if he didn’t play with Draisaitl, didn’t play on the power play and was moved down in the line-up. I bet he wouldn’t get 116 points!!”

Like, no s**t, Sherlock.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What a ridiculous statement. Wheeler earned his position and time. He’s what makes our power play go.

“Derpy dur, I wonder if McDavid would have as many points if he didn’t play with Draisaitl, didn’t play on the power play and was moved down in the line-up. I bet he wouldn’t get 116 points!!”

Like, no s**t, Sherlock.
Wheeler's possession numbers have been on a decline the last couple years.

Reactions: Psych0dad

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Wow he got more points then Panarin this year, but signs for 3 million a year less what a bargain ;)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Wheeler's possession numbers have been on a decline the last couple years.

Cool. So what would Wheeler get if he was a UFA today? More than his current contract? No doubt about it.

GJ Chevy for wrapping up our Captain on a good value contract.

Reactions: ERYX

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Cool. So what would Wheeler get if he was a UFA today? More than his current contract? No doubt about it.

GJ Chevy for wrapping up our Captain on a good value contract.
Who cares what he'd get today. Today is the day GMs make stupid decisions. I'd rather have no Wheeler and instead $8 million to use towards upgrading the D.

Reactions: AWSAA and Psych0dad

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Like, no s**t, Sherlock.

The Jets already have the horses to replace Wheeler on the power play and 5 on 5. He's redundant and expensive. And he's no McDavid. But I suppose he is a homer.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The Jets already have the horses to replace Wheeler on the power play and 5 on 5. He's redundant and expensive. And he's no McDavid. But I suppose he is a homer.

We didn’t have to give up any assets to sign him. He’s also the Captain of the team. It’s not like we’re the NYR that we can be so picky with our acquisitions and retentions.

Reactions: ERYX

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Who cares what he'd get today. Today is the day GMs make stupid decisions. I'd rather have no Wheeler and instead $8 million to use towards upgrading the D.

OK smart guy, tell me how you would upgrade the D with the extra cash? Who are you throwing those mad dollars at? Gardiner? Tyler Myers? Let’s hear your big plan.

Naturally, not expecting a tangible response back.

Reactions: iannn

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
We didn’t have to give up any assets to sign him. He’s also the Captain of the team. It’s not like we’re the NYR that we can be so picky with our acquisitions and retentions.

Chevy agrees with you. My opinion varies slightly.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
OK smart guy, tell me how you would upgrade the D with the extra cash? Who are you throwing those mad dollars at? Gardiner? Tyler Myers? Let’s hear your big plan.

Naturally, not expecting a tangible response back.
There's lots of trade options we aren't even aware of. But yes Gardiner would help the team more than Wheeler. Wheeler is redundant based on our current group of forwards.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't get the hate for Wheeler in here. He's a 90-point winger who plays his heart out and sets a good tone for the team. I think most fan bases would love to have him.

I used to be highly skeptical of him, but he's proved me wrong over the last two years. He seems to be one of those rare guys that has peaked relatively late and we signed him at his best. It's true he will probably decline towards the end of his contract, but sometimes you've got to give a little to get a little. This isn't some fantasy land where you're going to be able to sign every single good player to a team-friendly contract.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There's lots of trade options we aren't even aware of. But yes Gardiner would help the team more than Wheeler. Wheeler is redundant based on our current group of forwards.

I think the much better move than grabbing an overpriced UFA is to trade one of our younger skilled wingers, like Connor or Ehlers, for a comparable value d-man.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't get the hate for Wheeler in here. He's a 90-point winger who plays his heart out and sets a good tone for the team. I think most fan bases would love to have him.

I used to be highly skeptical of him, but he's proved me wrong over the last two years. He seems to be one of those rare guys that has peaked relatively late and we signed him at his best. It's true he will probably decline towards the end of his contract, but sometimes you've got to give a little to get a little. This isn't some fantasy land where you're going to be able to sign every single good player to a team-friendly contract.
And takes too long of shifts.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think the much better move than grabbing an overpriced UFA is to trade one of our younger skilled wingers, like Connor or Ehlers, for a comparable value d-man.
I'd prefer keeping our young forwards. Not signing Wheeler, and acquiring a D either through free agency like Gardiner, or trade (like the Subban trade).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wheeler turns 33 this August....Panarin is 27...... Contracts should be based on what the player will do for his team going forward, not what they did previously.
In a perfect world, yes.

However, this is a market driven economy. You need to try and resist temptation as a GM and look at the whole contract. Some teams have a lot of money and can buy out players and manage the resulting lower cap hit, or trade those declining players to teams who need money and have cap hit to spare.

The Jets obviously cannot do that, as we are not rich. However, Blake Wheeler has value to us because he has performed for us the entire time he has been a Jet. He just had back to back career seasons, so all of this talk of decline is so overblown its ridiculous.

Yes, he is probably the best he will ever be. However, I don't see a 5 year deal hurting the team as he will continue to provide value through the end of the contract.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'd prefer keeping our young forwards. Not signing Wheeler, and acquiring a D either through free agency like Gardiner, or trade (like the Subban trade).

So, overpay for Gardiner, trade for an overpaid, declining player, or still have to trade a young player for the type of D we actually need.

K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad