What's your 2022 Olympic Squad Look Like With NHLers?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere-Hayton-Dach
Farabee-Hughes-Frost
Suzuki-Glass-Thomas
Tkachuk-Byfield-Patrick
Comtois/Batherson/Mittelstadt/Poehling

Byram-Makar
Hughes-Dobson
Hague-Fox
Timmins/Bouchard

No point in projecting goalies at this stage. Probably some big misses, hopefully people can point out who I forgot.

Turcotte for sure. Is Keller eligible? He’s definitely be there, if he was.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Stone - Crosby - MacKinnon
McDavid - Tavares - Stamkos
Marchand - Bergeron - scheifele
Duchene - O'Reilly - Seguin
Toews, Marner

Reilly - Doughty
Pietrengelo - parayko
Morrissey - Burns
Chabot, Maker

Price
Holtby
Hart

Canada's defence is not as good as it was in Sochi. Their going to have a much harder time sochiing their opponents because they no longer have the defenceman they used to.

Price is not the same so I guess Holtby is the starter. Carter hart looks like the real deal

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Turcotte for sure. Is Keller eligible? He’s definitely be there, if he was.
I just looked at the 2017 draft and on. I’m not certain if Keller would be age-eligible.

2022 Olympics would basically be 2 years + a few months from today. Would Turcotte only play one year of college? Would his rookie season be good enough to qualify for this team? That would be a very high order.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just looked at the 2017 draft and on. I’m not certain if Keller would be age-eligible.

2022 Olympics would basically be 2 years + a few months from today. Would Turcotte only play one year of college? Would his rookie season be good enough to qualify for this team? That would be a very high order.

If Keller’s age eligible, he should be there, so I guess it depends where the cut off is.

I think we can safely say Turcotte is better than a lot of those players you listed. It’s irrelevant that he’s not currently in the NHL, considering a number of those others aren’t either.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sweden:

Forsberg - Pettersson - Arvidsson
Rakell - Zibanejad - W.Nylander
Lindblom - Karlsson - Johnsson
Landeskog - Sundqvist - Lindholm
Olofsson, Burakovsky

Hedman - Karlsson
Klefbom - Dahlin
Lindholm - Klingberg
OEL - Ekholm

Lehner
Markstrom
Nilsson

you forgot Backstrom

Reactions: Civetty

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lafreniere-Hayton-Dach
Farabee-Hughes-Frost
Suzuki-Glass-Thomas
Tkachuk-Byfield-Patrick
Comtois/Batherson/Mittelstadt/Poehling

Byram-Makar
Hughes-Dobson
Hague-Fox
Timmins/Bouchard

No point in projecting goalies at this stage. Probably some big misses, hopefully people can point out who I forgot.

If Keller’s age eligible, he should be there, so I guess it depends where the cut off is.

I think we can safely say Turcotte is better than a lot of those players you listed. It’s irrelevant that he’s not currently in the NHL, considering a number of those others aren’t either.
Who is Turcotte “safely” better than? Hughes and Dach are already playing in the NHL and will have established themselves more by the time Turcotte plays his rookie season, even if you choose to believe he may be better in the future. Lafreniere and Byfield are different levels of prospects who will play major roles with their respective teams next season, while Turcotte will likely spend at least some time in the AHL if he even chooses to leave college after one year where it’s not like he or his team is dominating (15 points in 14 games, and really slowing down since the start of the season and playing better teams). Everybody else is older and already claiming spots in the NHL.

The only real comparable is Byram, but that’s more due to me seeing him as very likely sticking in the NHL next year (as he can’t go to the American League) and therefore having more experience by the time this imaginary tournament would come around, and the general weakness of the d-corps as compared to the offense (defensemen tend to blossom later).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who is Turcotte “safely” better than? Hughes and Dach are already playing in the NHL and will have established themselves more by the time Turcotte plays his rookie season, even if you choose to believe he may be better in the future. Lafreniere and Byfield are different levels of prospects who will play major roles with their respective teams next season, while Turcotte will likely spend at least some time in the AHL if he even chooses to leave college after one year where it’s not like he or his team is dominating (15 points in 14 games, and really slowing down since the start of the season and playing better teams). Everybody else is older and already claiming spots in the NHL.

The only real comparable is Byram, but that’s more due to me seeing him as very likely sticking in the NHL next year (as he can’t go to the American League) and therefore having more experience by the time this imaginary tournament would come around, and the general weakness of the d-corps as compared to the offense (defensemen tend to blossom later).

Playing in the NHL doesn't make someone necessarily better. Among the players from the past draft, you could argue Dach is better. I'd argue otherwise, but I'll even give you that one for the sake of discussion. I believe he's better than Hughes, but I'll give you that one as well for the same reason. You've listed two draft eligibles this year. Unless we are talking about prodigious level players, the one year difference so close to a 2022 Olympics would probably make a difference between the current ability of a bunch of top five picks.

Besides that, Frost has 3 points in 8 NHL games. He's not even hit 10 games. I don't know why we are penciling in a late first round pick with 8 NHL games into a spot. Patrick isn't even playing right now, but he's not been better than a third liner his first two games. Thomas was a third liner his first season, and looks like a third liner this season. Farabee looks like a third liner right now as a rookie, as does Frost. Hayton has 4 points in 14 games. Thats mostly the fault of Arizona, but he's not proven either. And then in the 13F slot you listed three AHL players and a mediocre NHL'er.

I personally think if you pencil in others on potential, you pencil in Turcotte on potential here, as well. And I'm not even against penciling in players on potential because the rest have proven nothing, but I think pretty clearly Turcotte takes a spot. It's definitely subjective and you could make an argument for a lot of other forwards to be on the team and almost all of those forwards to not be on the team, but I'm not sure the argument for most of those players I named is better than the argument for Turcotte.

Reactions: Dominance

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Team Finland

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Granlund
Donskoi - Haula - Kakko
Kapanen - Hintz - Lehkonen

Jokiharju - Heiskanen
Vatanen - Lindell
Nutivaara - Ristolainen
Määttä

Rask
Raanta
Korpisalo

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Playing in the NHL doesn't make someone necessarily better. Among the players from the past draft, you could argue Dach is better. I'd argue otherwise, but I'll even give you that one for the sake of discussion. I believe he's better than Hughes, but I'll give you that one as well for the same reason. You've listed two draft eligibles this year. Unless we are talking about prodigious level players, the one year difference so close to a 2022 Olympics would probably make a difference between the current ability of a bunch of top five picks.

Besides that, Frost has 3 points in 8 NHL games. He's not even hit 10 games. I don't know why we are penciling in a late first round pick with 8 NHL games into a spot. Patrick isn't even playing right now, but he's not been better than a third liner his first two games. Thomas was a third liner his first season, and looks like a third liner this season. Farabee looks like a third liner right now as a rookie, as does Frost. Hayton has 4 points in 14 games. Thats mostly the fault of Arizona, but he's not proven either. And then in the 13F slot you listed three AHL players and a mediocre NHL'er.

I personally think if you pencil in others on potential, you pencil in Turcotte on potential here, as well. And I'm not even against penciling in players on potential because the rest have proven nothing, but I think pretty clearly Turcotte takes a spot. It's definitely subjective and you could make an argument for a lot of other forwards to be on the team and almost all of those forwards to not be on the team, but I'm not sure the argument for most of those players I named is better than the argument for Turcotte.
I guess it really comes down to if you think Turcotte will make the NHL next season or not. Regardless of where the others listed are playing currently, I think it is fair to say all are trending to at least be top-6 players two years from now. Turcotte would not likely be picked over that if it were his rookie season, even if he too is playing top-6 minutes, which is uncertain right now. More likely, he’d be playing a similar role as Farabee, Suzuki, Glass, etc. are currently playing.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Scheifele - McDavid - Mackinnon
Stamkos - Tavares - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Schenn - O'Reilly - Stone

Reilly - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Burns
Chabot - Makar

Price
Binnington

No extras listed.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Laine- Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Donskoi
Hintz - Haula - Kakko
Kapanen - Koivu - Granlund
Armia
Lehkonen

Heiskanen - Lindell
Vatanan - Ristolainen
Määttä - Jokiharju

Rask
Raanta
Rinne

Last edited:

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Kakko - Barkov - Rantanen
Laine - Aho - Teräväinen
Donskoi - Hintz - Granlund
Kapanen - Haula - Armia
Kotkaniemi???

Kotkaniemi is a really big question mark. He may develop tremendously, when he would definitely be on the team. And I have not completely lost my hope with Puljujärvi.

Heiskanen - Lindell
Jokiharju - Ristolainen
Määttä - Vatanen

Vaakanainen and Välimäki could both make the team. They are currently difficult to evaluate, but they both have great potential to become really good NHL-defenders.

Rask
Saros
Raanta

Kähkönen has started well in the NHL. Let's see what happens to him.

danish kingsfan

Dec 16, 2015
Denmark
Team Denmark

Nikolaj Ehlers - Lars Eller - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Mikkel Bødker - Alexander True - Joachim Blichfeld
Nicklas Jensen - Frans Nielsen - Patrick Russell
Frederik Storm - Peter Regin - Mathias From
HM: Nicolaj Meyer - Nick Olesen - Marcus Almquist - Jonas Røndbjerg - Patrick Bjorkstrand - Mathias Bau Hansen

Malte Setkov - Philip Larsen
Jesper Jensen Aabo - Oliver Joakim Larsen
Markus Lauridsen - Matias Lassen
HM: Oliver Lauridsen - Anton Stenbakken - Phillip Bruggisser - Nicholas B. Jensen - Kasper Larsen

Frederik Andersen
Mads Søgaard
HM: Sebastian Dahm

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Team Denmark

HM: Nicolaj Meyer - Nick Olesen - Marcus Almquist - Jonas Røndbjerg - Patrick Bjorkstrand - Mathias Bau Hansen

HM: Oliver Lauridsen - Anton Stenbakken - Phillip Bruggisser - Nicholas B. Jensen - Kasper Larsen

Frederik Andersen
Mads Søgaard
This team would be a solid pain in the ass for everyone they play... skate like crazy, a few scorers and an elite goalie.

Reactions: Hagstrom

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
USA

Matthew Tkachuk - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
Johnny Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Jake Guentzel
Brady Tkachuk - Dylan Larkin - Alex Debrincat
Kyle Connor - Jack Hughes - Brock Boeser
JT Miller

HM: Blake Wheeler, Anders Lee, Alex Turcotte

Jaccob Slavin - John Carlson
Quinn Hughes - Seth Jones
Zach Werenski - Adam Fox
Ryan McDonagh - Jacob Trouba

HM: Charlie McAvoy, Torey Krug, Ryan Suter

John Gibson
Ben Bishop
Connor Hellebuyck

HM: Spencer Knight

Pav96

Nov 22, 2016
Huberdeau McDavid Mckinnon
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Hall Scheifle Point
Couturier Stamkos Marner
Tavares, Lafreniere

Chabot Doughty
Reilly Parayko
Nurse Petriangelo
Makar

Hart
Binnington
Holtby

You're just messing with us including Nurse in that group right? Thank god your not picking the D

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
This team would be a solid pain in the ass for everyone they play... skate like crazy, a few scorers and an elite goalie.
The defense is waaay to bad to really be a pain in the ass IMO. Atleast right now. That's possibly a subject to change though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You're just messing with us including Nurse in that group right? Thank god your not picking the D
What significantly better young Canadian left shooting D are out there?

The other lineups posted with 6 righties and one lefty will 100% never happen.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Team Denmark

Frederik Andersen
Mads Søgaard
I mean... I appreciate the fact that this is a non-top six team in the 2022 thread.

I think the projection on youth is wildly over-optimistic, but I'm glad for Denmark's inclusion in the thread.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean... I appreciate the fact that this is a non-top six team in the 2022 thread.

I think the projection on youth is wildly over-optimistic, but I'm glad for Denmark's inclusion in the thread.
Olympics tend to have 12 to 14 teams.. I'm waiting for all the rosters.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Sweden:

Forsberg - Pettersson - Arvidsson
Rakell - Zibanejad - W.Nylander
Lindblom - Karlsson - Johnsson
Landeskog - Sundqvist - Lindholm
Olofsson, Burakovsky

Hedman - Karlsson
Klefbom - Dahlin
Lindholm - Klingberg
OEL - Ekholm

Lehner
Markstrom
Nilsson

Am I the only one who thinks Marcus Hopberg is legit and might steal the backup or even the starters spot for Sweden in 2022??

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia:

Chara - Chara - Chara
Chara - Chara - Chara
Chara - Chara - Chara
Chara - Chara - Chara

Chara - Chara
Chara - Chara
Chara - Chara

Halak
Chara

Ok, im a little bid under influence of some booze, so it may be not accurate. But i think, im close.

Nice! I'll try to give this a sober shot based on player experience, form and team needs.

Tatar - Kristof - Panik
Lantosi - Sukel - Liska
Hrivik - Hudacek - Cehlarik
K.Pospisil - Viedensky - Krivosik
Bakos

Chara - Cernak
Sekera - Jaros
Fehervary - Daloga
Marincin

Halak
Rybar

Ad