What's the beef with Gabriel Landeskog?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Mueller if healthy for sure (today he was playing with Duchene and Hejduk)

Galiardi/Lindstrom MAYBE (they had Lindstrom with Stastny and Jones and he apparently looked real good).

Its likely he starts out on the third line maybe and eventually moves up if he performs well.

I've always thought of Mueller as a Center/Right Wing and not a Left Wing. Didn't think he played LW.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I've always thought of Mueller as a Center/Right Wing and not a Left Wing. Didn't think he played LW.

he was in phoenix, when the avs acquired him he was put on duchene's left (with Hejduk on the right), and that line was dominant until blake injured him.

Meuller-duchene-hejduk was together again today and by all accounts, the chemistry was still there

Lindstrom was on stastny's left, the other option (other than landy) was galiardi who has looked passable there before

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lando will certainly get PP time either way I'd think. No one could move him from the front of the net today, and Sacco mentioned that after the scrimmages.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Lando will certainly get PP time either way I'd think. No one could move him from the front of the net today, and Sacco mentioned that after the scrimmages.

Yep. They'll park Jones in front of the net on one unit, and Landeskog in front of the net on the other unit.

I'm excited to see Mueller-EJ on the point in the first unit PP. Two guys with bombs and Mueller who can also distribute. :amazed:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think anyone hates landeskog, it's just that he's more of a jordan staal type 2nd overall pick than say a jason spezza type 2nd overall pick.

Kershaw

At this rate, he may break 60 points in his rookie year.....

Future Colorado Avalanche captain right here. They are grooming him into this role, similar to the Hawks announcing Toews captain.

Him and O'Reilly have been a lethal pair so far, I've underestimated Colorado in the other threads about Varly and their defense, but they look good so far.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

He's been sensational. I can't get over how good he is... He's going to have plenty of multipoint games this season. He's always where he's needed and seriously has the drive of a viking. The kid battles hard.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Calder Trophy, here we come! :)

Everything looks great, only thing which concerns me a little bit is the risk of Landeskog getting injured.

Landeskog's third line is arguable the best line on the team so far this season, very impressive. The guy is freaking 18 years old and playing the role of a power forward in the best hockey league in the world.

Sacco is perhaps a genius after all? ;-)

Last edited:

lardneau

Oct 7, 2011
I watched Colorado's game last night and I have to say that the third line was the best. Landeskog looked very good and he doesn't look like a rookie out there. He's going to be really good and the Avs can be happy with him.

Pietraneglo222

He got pushed around physically in this game, got lucky with a clear shot on net that Anderson wasn't prepared for.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Immanuel = Fan of Ottawa Senators

Was Anderson prepared for anything in this game?

Landeskog lucky, give me a break. :shakehead Pushed around phsyically? He is doing very good for being an 18 year old powerforward, parking himself in front of the net a lot.

Avalanche third line has arguably been the best line of the team so far. Landeskog being a big part of this chemistry.

Some stats for his first 4 games:
16 shots
+2
3 points (2 goals, 1 assist)
Averaging 16:24 playing on the third line
8 hits

I seriously think this 18 year old may win the Calder this season. Landeskog may be the best Swedish offensive talent since Forsberg and Sundin.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: Landeskog has the talent and opportunity with ice time to be an impact fantasy rookie. He has size, speed, offense, defensive awareness and plays with an edge to his game. He will likely get top-line minutes for the Avalanche and should fill almost every fantasy category. In his final season with the Kitchener Rangers, Landeskog finished with 36 goals, 30 assists and a plus-27 rating (nearly a 30-30-30 season in just 53 games). He may not be able to match the strong plus-minus rating with the Avs, but pushing for 30 goals and 30 assists is a real possibility for Landeskog right out of the gate.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Immanuel = Fan of Ottawa Senators

Was Anderson prepared for anything in this game?

Landeskog lucky, give me a break. :shakehead Pushed around phsyically? He is doing very good for being an 18 year old powerforward, parking himself in front of the net a lot.

Avalanche third line has arguably been the best line of the team so far. Landeskog being a big part of this chemistry.

Some stats for his first 4 games:
16 shots
+2
3 points (2 goals, 1 assist)
Averaging 16:24 playing on the third line
8 hits

I seriously think this 18 year old may win the Calder this season. Landeskog may be the best Swedish offensive talent since Forsberg and Sundin.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: Landeskog has the talent and opportunity with ice time to be an impact fantasy rookie. He has size, speed, offense, defensive awareness and plays with an edge to his game. He will likely get top-line minutes for the Avalanche and should fill almost every fantasy category. In his final season with the Kitchener Rangers, Landeskog finished with 36 goals, 30 assists and a plus-27 rating (nearly a 30-30-30 season in just 53 games). He may not be able to match the strong plus-minus rating with the Avs, but pushing for 30 goals and 30 assists is a real possibility for Landeskog right out of the gate.

He won't be better than Alfredsson,Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Zetterberg,Backstrom. All who have had or been at pace for 100points or more. Landeskog would be lucky if he ever passed ppg pace over an entire season.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He won't be better than Alfredsson,Henrik & Daniel Sedin, Zetterberg,Backstrom. All who have had or been at pace for 100points or more. Landeskog would be lucky if he ever passed ppg pace over an entire season.

Haha, what the **** is this?

A lot of Swedes not believing in Landeskog? ;-)

You are wrong and you'll see.

Landekog is the best Swedish talent since Forsberg and Sundin.

I hope we can all agree on one thing:

Landeskog is freaking 18 years old and his future looks very bright?

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Haha, what the **** is this?

A lot of Swedes not believing in Landeskog? ;-)

You are wrong and you'll see.

Landekog is the best Swedish talent since Forsberg and Sundin.

I hope we can all agree on one thing:

Landeskog is freaking 18 years old and his future looks very bright?

Landeskog looks amazing (as a Sens fan I really wanted him) but to say he will be better than the Sedins (whom I dislike) Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Backstrom is really really overrating Landeskog. I mean Landeskog plays a much more similar game to Sundin and Forsberg than the others but he most likely won't get on to their level. I see him in a Career year finishing around 90 points, but most of the time hovering around 60-70 while bringing his solid two way play.

His strength at the NHL level is outstanding seeing how most people thought he wouldn't be able to push them around as easily but he still can. He will be a great player and I can see him winning the Calder, but he won't be a Super Star type player.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Landeskog looks amazing (as a Sens fan I really wanted him) but to say he will be better than the Sedins (whom I dislike) Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Backstrom is really really overrating Landeskog. I mean Landeskog plays a much more similar game to Sundin and Forsberg than the others but he most likely won't get on to their level. I see him in a Career year finishing around 90 points, but most of the time hovering around 60-70 while bringing his solid two way play.

His strength at the NHL level is outstanding seeing how most people thought he wouldn't be able to push them around as easily but he still can. He will be a great player and I can see him winning the Calder, but he won't be a Super Star type player.

I think in a best-case scenario, Landeskog could become the next Iginla. Iginla faced many of the same pre-draft criticisms as Landeskog, but obviously continued to develop and became a premier power forward in the NHL. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Landeskog does the same.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
hey avs fans! I'm so glad to see landeskog having a great start! that guy is a horse! Can't wait till him and RNH go head to head! I swear, if we didn't need a center, i think we would of chosen landeskog, hes exactly the type of player every team needs!

heres to many more from him...and great job on pounding the sens into the ground lol

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
I think in a best-case scenario, Landeskog could become the next Iginla. Iginla faced many of the same pre-draft criticisms as Landeskog, but obviously continued to develop and became a premier power forward in the NHL. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Landeskog does the same.

While true I don't see Landeskog having the same sort of shot of Iginla does. His shot is hard, but it is not very accurate at all while shooting so hard. He can improve his accuracy but I don't see him playing to use his wrist shot as often as Iginla does.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think he has the mentality to exceed expectations. Many coaches and teammates testify about how driven he is. So him showing the ability to play and think the game he is showing now at 18 is a very good sign.

But there is no reason to place him in the Pantheon of Swedish hockey greats at this stage. It's an unfair comparison.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

I need to quote what a poster on the Avalanche board wrote about Landeskog:

"Finesse. Not so much.*Pure drive, will, determination, and fundamentals? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES."

This is Landeskog.

I'm mostly talking about talent and potential now. For me he is one of the best young Swedish talent ever. Flashy or not, couldn't care less.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He got pushed around physically in this game, got lucky with a clear shot on net that Anderson wasn't prepared for.
One hit isn't pushed around physically. Anderson wasn't prepare for the shot? That's on him for not being ready and Landeskog deserves credit for crashing the net. I know you aren't a huge Landeskog fan buy at least give him some credit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like what I've seen so far but I would still like to see more hustle out of him. He isn't nearly as physical and aggressive as he was in games that I saw out of Kitchener last year.

He is EXTREMELY smart in regards to positioning and the ability to read the plays, but he seems to be relying on that too much on the forecheck in my opinion. There have been chances where he could've won puck battles just by sheer force early in the season, instead he seems to wait and pick his spots as to when to battle for it.

If he would play more physical in the offensive zone, he would be a machine and very tough to stop.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
This thread is typical HF boards. If ever a team makes a questionable move, or doesnt get maximum value for a player in a trade the boards are up in arms pointing fingers attempting to distract everyone from their own teams flaws.

let me use an example, Clarke macarthur scored 62 points last year had tremendous vision, and some grit as we have seen him play the body and get into the odd scrap. Which is somewhat the description of landeskog however landeskog has a higher ceiling and more of a snipers ability.

however on hfboards macarthur will never have more value then a 2nd round pick and will never achieve 62 points again and will be valued only as a scrub toss in to any trade. On hf Macarthur will never be more then a 17g and 35 point player. Well thats fine the leafs are glad to have him.

Same with Landeskog, apparently colorado is in need of defense and larsson was the 2nd ranked player at time. Well because colorado drafted out of the norm landeskog is all of a sudden a terrible player and will never amount to expectations... Larsson is not known to be an overly physical defenseman and is a puck mover which is ideally what EJ is. So yes the avalanch need D but not puck movers. Stay at home D are what is on their radar.

Anyways long story short, posters on HF are just fans and will never amount to anything more then that in the hockey world. The scouts and GM's do their jobs and with colorado's drafting history i would say they are doing fine. Young top line pottential powerforwards are franchise defining players.

Anyway let me just say this- Danny heatley and a 5th gets milan michalek salary dump cheechoo and a second. If someone had posted this on HF prior to the trade happening the thread would have gotten locked and the poster would have been given a warning and would be laughed at..

I would have taken landeskog at #2. Do not take opposing fans criticism to heart, it means nothing.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
last year ryan kesler (my landeskog camparable) got a large contract extension with UFA eligibility at the end of the season. Christian ehrhoff also was ufa eligible (my larsson comparable) and did not get resigned. This clearly shows that powerforwards with character and leadership ability are much more valuable to a team and getting deep in the playoffs then a quiet puck moving defenseman.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
This thread is typical HF boards. If ever a team makes a questionable move, or doesnt get maximum value for a player in a trade the boards are up in arms pointing fingers attempting to distract everyone from their own teams flaws.

let me use an example, Clarke macarthur scored 62 points last year had tremendous vision, and some grit as we have seen him play the body and get into the odd scrap. Which is somewhat the description of landeskog however landeskog has a higher ceiling and more of a snipers ability.

however on hfboards macarthur will never have more value then a 2nd round pick and will never achieve 62 points again and will be valued only as a scrub toss in to any trade. On hf Macarthur will never be more then a 17g and 35 point player. Well thats fine the leafs are glad to have him.

Same with Landeskog, apparently colorado is in need of defense and larsson was the 2nd ranked player at time. Well because colorado drafted out of the norm landeskog is all of a sudden a terrible player and will never amount to expectations... Larsson is not known to be an overly physical defenseman and is a puck mover which is ideally what EJ is. So yes the avalanch need D but not puck movers. Stay at home D are what is on their radar.

Anyways long story short, posters on HF are just fans and will never amount to anything more then that in the hockey world. The scouts and GM's do their jobs and with colorado's drafting history i would say they are doing fine. Young top line pottential powerforwards are franchise defining players.

Anyway let me just say this- Danny heatley and a 5th gets milan michalek salary dump cheechoo and a second. If someone had posted this on HF prior to the trade happening the thread would have gotten locked and the poster would have been given a warning and would be laughed at..

I would have taken landeskog at #2. Do not take opposing fans criticism to heart, it means nothing.

Uh, given Heatley had publicly demanded a trade and had refused to waive for Edmonton I don't know how much laughter there would have been for that proposal. Michalek was still regarded as a young up-and-coming star at the time.

As far as MacArthur, he isn't going to have the value of a 62 point player until he can prove he can replicate last season.

Finally, wasn't there a poster or blogger or something who ended up getting a scouting job for like a team in the Q or something?

Pedantry aside, I agree that Landeskog looks like a great choice for the Avs. He was awesome last night. Long-term we'll have to see if he ends up being the second-best player from the draft, but you could say that about every 2nd over-all pick. And who knows, he could end up the best.

last year ryan kesler (my landeskog camparable) got a large contract extension with UFA eligibility at the end of the season. Christian ehrhoff also was ufa eligible (my larsson comparable) and did not get resigned. This clearly shows that powerforwards with character and leadership ability are much more valuable to a team and getting deep in the playoffs then a quiet puck moving defenseman.

I don't think that's an entirely fair analogy, and it also assumes that Vancouver's GM is infallible. Although obviously re-signing Kesler was the right thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad