What's the beef with Gabriel Landeskog?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Kershaw, Sep 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Kershaw

Kershaw Guest

Every scouting report I've read, this players has said to have the intangibles to be dubbed as a future captain. This is HUGE praise for Landeskog, but I also see people writing him off as a 50-60 point winger, which I think he clearly has much more potential than that, especially since he'll be fed passes by Duchene.

This highlight clip shows Landeskog's dominance physically, defensively and he can score at a high rate as well. This screams Mike Richards/Jonathan Toews in the making, so why is he ranked below guys like Huberdeau, Couturier and Larsson?

Gabriel Landeskog is not a grinding forward, He had a similar GPG pace as Taylor Hall did in his draft year and likely could have potted 40 goals if he hadn't been injured and left for the WJC. He is a likely ROY candidate for the Avs as all signs point to him playing top 6 minutes right off the bat.

Just needed to get this off my chest hehe.

2. Mc5RingsAndABeer

Mc5RingsAndABeer 5-14-6-1

I have no idea why he's ranked so low. If he's that bad, he probably wouldn't have been taken over Larsson.

3. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

I see more people say 60+ points while breaking 70 few times during his career. I personally don't see how that's a bad thing, how many 2 way physical players consistently break 60 points

Hall had about double the assists if you going by a APG ratio, you can't just cherry picks stats when comparing players

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. Kershaw

Kershaw Guest

This is true. And there shouldn't be an excuse of the Avs needing a forward since they could really use help on defense, they allowed the most goals in the league last season and could use all the help they can get defensively.

5. Kershaw

Kershaw Guest

I think Landeskog has the drive to become a 65-80 point scorer. Possibility of 40 goals and bringing Selke caliber defense. It's really not all about the points, I think he has the drive to become a Jonathan Toews type of player and he's probably in the top 5 league wide in players to build a team around. I just don't get why he is so underrated here.

6. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Because his stats aren't flashy. Honestly, if scouts though he was going to be a 50-60 point player in his prime. He simply wouldn't have gone second overall if that was the case. Considering the same people that say he won't be more than a 60 point player also sometimes will try to argue that Landeskog wasn't that good defensively either.

Landeskog has 40+ goal 80+ point potential definitely. Regardless if you think he'll be that, it's absurd to suggest his potential is less then 60 points. He clearly has offensive talent.

7. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    People got some weird idea that he has no skill.

I don't think 2nd overall was warranted, but I do value the intangibles. There are players taken after him that I expect will score more than him. Hell I'm already more impressed with several guys' offensive potential and skil sets over Landeskogs.

But you do win with guys like Landeskog and he was front and center in the OHL.

8. WillNyeTheHockeyGuy

WillNyeTheHockeyGuy #29

A more physical winger version of Kesler perhaps? I kind of see that as his ceiling. Selke winning scorer capable of 40+ goals in his prime.

9. MVP Tom Pyatt

MVP Tom Pyatt Tommy P

What can I say? Haters gonna hate.

10. Tiranis

Tiranis Registered User

49 players scored 60 or more points last year. If his ceiling is 60 points while bringing leadership and physical presence, that's totally worth a 2nd overall pick. Only 9 players scored 80 or more points. Those who say that his potential is 80+ points or that the scouts wouldn't rank him 2nd overall if his potential was 60 points clearly have no understanding of how few players score more than 80 points.

11. Freudian

Freudian Clearly deranged

Landeskog and his lack of skill will fit in perfectly with the almost-bust Johnson, declining Stastny and always-injured Varlamov.

Sherman and his Midass touch. :sarcasm:

12. TheJudge

TheJudge Registered User

This.

60 points per year is a damn fine player.

13. Stawks

Stawks Hockey Bird

Because he's physically so well developed. He's a freak of nature. He's miles ahead of most of the people he plays against. Will he be able to dominate physically in the NHL the way he does in the OHL? Maybe. But if he doesn't, do you really think he's got enough skill independent of that to justify going 2nd overall?

Obviously I see him as a longtime NHLer no matter what, he's got too many intangibles not to be. The question is, do we have another Jonathan Toews, or Mike Ricci?

14. Arcane

Arcane Registered User

If he were a 60-70 player last year, he would have been top 25 points-wise.

This while providing leadership and physical presence.

Where do I sign up for this beef

15. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Dedicated to babies who came feet first

60 point, 2-way physical winger that can captain your team. Sounds good to me.

16. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    But even more fine if he does all the little things well like PK, shot block, hits and acts as a leader on and off the ice.

17. bishop12

bishop12 Ovyously

Home Page:
    Iggy had the same stuff said about him in the 95 draft.

18. Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney 3-Peat + 1

Winger version of Mike Richards, though I think Landeskog's got more goal scoring potential, while Richards is a better passer.

19. agentblack

agentblack Registered User

Tiny Dancer
    Ill take either. Ricci was a pretty good player when he was healthy. He had 20 plus goals in his first 4 years in the league, hopefully Lando can be more consistent over the course of his career than MR. But Ricci also had alot of intangibles that allowed to stay in the NHL despite lack of scoring ability. Gahh this season needs to start already, so many question marks for the Avs.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  20. i talked to an nhl scout and he said landeskog would bust

21. King In The North

King In The North Sean Bennett

Alot of elite players last season managed 60-70 pts.

22. Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney 3-Peat + 1

I talked to an NHL GM and he said that scout was fired for incompetence.

23. AvsGuy

AvsGuy Flagrant Violater

Home Page:
    I think he'll top out as a Brendan Morrow-Scott Hartnell type. But I'll keep my fingers crossed because the Avs could use even more.

24. SuperSaiyanBeastmode

SuperSaiyanBeastmode Registered User

landeskog is going to be a stud, I can see him hitting 35 goals as a career high, 40 goals seems like a little much. Even if he ends up averaging 50-60pts for his whole career, it doesn't really matter, he'll be on the top line, on the top pk unit, and top pp unit to wreck havoc in front of the net. I predict 70pts will be his career high, and he'll hover somewhere around 55-70pts for most of his career.

25. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

I say when he hits his stride he will get 60-70 points most seasons and a few 70+ point seasons