What's the beef with Gabriel Landeskog?

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
last year ryan kesler (my landeskog camparable) got a large contract extension with UFA eligibility at the end of the season. Christian ehrhoff also was ufa eligible (my larsson comparable) and did not get resigned. This clearly shows that powerforwards with character and leadership ability are much more valuable to a team and getting deep in the playoffs then a quiet puck moving defenseman.

I raise you Niklas Lidström. :p:

(just wanted to say that your reasoning is incredibly flawed)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He looked amazing. Really and truly a joy to watch. Still not sure if he should have gone 2nd overall, but looking really, really solid right now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You are wrong and you'll see.

Landekog is the best Swedish talent since Forsberg and Sundin.

Landeskog looks great. He's someone that I was really impressed with all last year and I made it well known that I wanted him for the Sens. With that said, having watched more of Zibanejad now (juniors, preseason) and clips from him in the SEL I think that he may have similar upside if not more.

It'll be interesting to see which of them turns out to be better when all is said and done.

They even have similar statlines so far aside from shots and goals. 1 assist, 7 shots, 8 hits, 1 blocked shot, 0 giveaways, 1 takeaway.

I think that right now Landeskog benefits from playing with a more dynamic offence and slightly more playing time. That said Landeskog has been better over the first 4 games of the season, but Zibanejad was better during preseason and isn't much behind Lando right now.

It'll be cool to watch both of them over the next few years to see which develops into the better player.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
last year ryan kesler (my landeskog camparable) got a large contract extension with UFA eligibility at the end of the season. Christian ehrhoff also was ufa eligible (my larsson comparable) and did not get resigned. This clearly shows that powerforwards with character and leadership ability are much more valuable to a team and getting deep in the playoffs then a quiet puck moving defenseman.

Ehrhoff is your Larsson comparable? I think your conclusions were drawn from a false premise.

NWAvs

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
Landeskog looks great. He's someone that I was really impressed with all last year and I made it well known that I wanted him for the Sens. With that said, having watched more of Zibanejad now (juniors, preseason) and clips from him in the SEL I think that he may have similar upside if not more.

It'll be interesting to see which of them turns out to be better when all is said and done.

They even have similar statlines so far aside from shots and goals. 1 assist, 7 shots, 8 hits, 1 blocked shot, 0 giveaways, 1 takeaway.

I think that right now Landeskog benefits from playing with a more dynamic offence and slightly more playing time. That said Landeskog has been better over the first 4 games of the season, but Zibanejad was better during preseason and isn't much behind Lando right now.

It'll be cool to watch both of them over the next few years to see which develops into the better player.

I know youre trying to be polite but come on man. If we pick Zbad and you picked Lando would you be saying "Yea, Lando is good but your guy has a higher upside" ? And dont bring up the "better line mates" cuz that gets pulled on us everytime while the same people tell us were the worst team in the league.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I think he has the mentality to exceed expectations. Many coaches and teammates testify about how driven he is. So him showing the ability to play and think the game he is showing now at 18 is a very good sign.

He definitely seems like the kind of guy who gives 100% to maximise his potential.

But there is no reason to place him in the Pantheon of Swedish hockey greats at this stage. It's an unfair comparison.

Agreed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know youre trying to be polite but come on man. If we pick Zbad and you picked Lando would you be saying "Yea, Lando is good but your guy has a higher upside" ? And dont bring up the "better line mates" cuz that gets pulled on us everytime while the same people tell us were the worst team in the league.

Well I actually never said that either had higher upside. I just said that they, at the moment, looked comparable and either one could have higher upside or similar upsides. I'm only saying this because I watched a lot of Landeskog last year and I've gotten to see a lot more Zibanejad now. Have you seen a lot of Zibanejad? I know that they were compared pre-draft at times. Swedish posters might have more insight into Zibanejad's upside really, but so far he's shown flashes of offence and he's played a great two-way game while being physical. He hasn't really gotten much ice-time yet (mostly because the vets are often getting double shifted, etc.)

If you had picked Zibanejad I wouldn't have gotten to see him very much. To be honest I didn't want to pick Zibanejad at all before the draft mostly because I hadn't seen much of him and his stats weren't impressive. I'm not going to lie and maybe it is some homerism because he's on my team now but since he was drafted he's thoroughly impressed me (juniors, training camp, rookie tournament, preseason and even now.)

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Are Zibanejad and Landeskog really comparable? I don't know much about him, but from what I've seen/heard i thought he was more of a top flight sniper.

Anyway.

Landeskog is a TRUE hockey player, kid is amazing in his own end, hits everything, works for everything on the ice, always giving 100% on every shift. I wasn't this excited even when we had Duchene come in. I'm just shaking in anticipation for every game to see this kid play again.

Says a lot when the 3rd line is the best line on the ice, night in and night out, they're actually getting powerplay time as the 3rd line, and Landeskog is at least as good as proven NHL'ers on his line if not the best of the three. (Love me some O'Reilly though, another great underrated player that people will know much more about after this season)

Pietraneglo222

Are Zibanejad and Landeskog really comparable? I don't know much about him, but from what I've seen/heard i thought he was more of a top flight sniper.

Anyway.

Landeskog is a TRUE hockey player, kid is amazing in his own end, hits everything, works for everything on the ice, always giving 100% on every shift. I wasn't this excited even when we had Duchene come in. I'm just shaking in anticipation for every game to see this kid play again.

Says a lot when the 3rd line is the best line on the ice, night in and night out, they're actually getting powerplay time as the 3rd line, and Landeskog is at least as good as proven NHL'ers on his line if not the best of the three. (Love me some O'Reilly though, another great underrated player that people will know much more about after this season)

Zibanejad has done more hitting and backchecking than he's done sniping so far. (aside from his sweet pre-season goals) Anyways, I think they're the two most comparable players in the first round of last year. Complete, two-way, powerforward types.

I think lando might be in better shape though. More of a man's body.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland

Anyway.

Whoa.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I've been blown away how good Landeskog has looked so far. Not that he's gotten some goals and points but his overall game, playing in every situation and so on. And especially his willingness to throw hits. I think he's been put in a perfect role to succeed aswell by playing with O'Reilly on the 3rd line. No additional pressure is being put on him to score by doing so. I really don't doubt his chances to sustain this level throughout a full season either, because of his physique. But that remains to be seen.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
So far Landeskog has looked better than Zibanejad for sure. Landeskog looks like a bonafide NHL:er and makes things happen when he is on the ice.

Right now Zibanejad looks like his tries to hard to not make misstakes, but things might change. No player has ever moved to NHL so fast from Sweden. Zibanejad still have two seasons left as junior (compared to Larsson and Landeskog that play their last years as juniors). One year ago he was a thirdliner in Superelit, one year later he is getting time on a scoringline in NHL. The kid got a lot of adapting to do, and if Ottawa plans to keep him on the team they should be patient with him. He is the youngest swede in NHL ever.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A 2 goal night for Lando tonight. Looks like his line has become the new 2nd line in Colorado for the time being, probably means a bit more ice time for Lando, and possibly a line-mate of Duchene soon (on the opposing wing with O'Reilly as the center)

Bad luck that he has to go up against one hell of a strong class this year, will be tough for him to win the calder. He will easily be the best all around player though, IMO anyways.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
At this point, Landeskog is definitely showing why he was taken above Larsson. That could change in the future, but Landeskog is owning right now.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Landeskog is scary good for his age. Not talking about mad danglez but smart, efficient, 2 way hockey. He is so strong in the corners. He must win 90% of the board battles he's in. Its unreal how he always comes out with the puck. Defensively he is awesome, great positioning and awareness. Showed off his nice shot last night with a beauty to tie the game with 2 minutes left. His other goal was a great power drive to the crease where he jammed one in.

Some stats to ponder:

Tied for 14th in the league in hits with 21.

Tied for 4th in the league in shots with 29.

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

He's seriously dominating... His numbers do not reflect his game at all. I wouldn't put a 45+55 season out of the question for him in his prime... He does EVERYTHING so well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll give you my honest answer as a passive fan. His low point totals in juniors made me really skeptical about his ability to jump into an NHL lineup and contribute let alone ever make it to 90 point status. I still don't think he ever hits that level. I see him more as a Mikko Koivu type player in his career.

But so far he has impressed me. So, who knows? Maybe he will surprise me.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Anyway.

that's how we were with Fowler last year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Some stats to ponder:

Tied for 14th in the league in hits with 21.

Tied for 4th in the league in shots with 29.

:handclap: Extremely impressive NHL start for an 18 year old.

His work ethic is perhaps what impress me the most and I strongly believe this has a positive effect on some of his team mates. Landeskog simply hates loosing and gives his all, impressive intensity, teams comes first mentality.

Also his mix of style between North American and Swedish icehockey and mentality is hmmm perfect, lovely!

I really, really wish that he manage to stay injury free and healthy. His style of playing may be a little bit injury prone.

I wonder when his first fight will come, when Landeskog gets angry he gets really angry. ;-) Safest for him if he adds some more weight and muscles though. ;-)

Landeskog standing up for a team mate when playing for Kitchener Rangers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRHmtnrjKE

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
There may be flashier players out of that draft(there definitely are), but Landeskog does something on every shift to help you win games.

Whether it's a simple defensive play by blocking a shot, lifting a stick in the slot, pinning out a man along the boards, or whether it's an offensive play coming out of the corner with the puck, cycling like a beast, or driving the net... he is a gamer.

I don't remember the last time I watched an 18 year old win almost every single battle he engages in. His level of physical maturity, combined with his hockey sense, provide a very ready contributor.

Nobody can say what his maximum potential is, but it sure is fun to watch this kid play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad