OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Discovered a great new taco truck Thursday night, that's about 5 minutes from the house. Street tacos, tortas, & the like. It was so good, we hit it again for dinner last night.
I haven't gone there today.

...yet.
If you ever head east on Highway 70 there is a fantastic taco/burrito/torta joint in New Bern called Taco Loco Taquiera. One of the best tortas you can find. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner because I’m on a low carb kick and can’t enjoy one tonight.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I ate all 16 of them in one sitting. Oh well, YOLO

BTW, Dinosaur Wango Tango makes for a damn good wing sauce

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Wife made a huge pot of white bean stew with lamb. Abso-frickin-lutely delicious. Might have to open some windows around here tomorrow tho.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I made a burger in my skillet the other night. Somebody here turned me on to it ages ago and I haven’t looked back.

0ABC857D-8D6E-4BFC-A65E-B23D2AACAF41.jpeg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Me: "Hey @Surrounded By Ahos......"

You: "Yes Chef?"

Me: "That Burger is perfect!"

You: "Thank you Chef!"

Me: "I swear to God if you send me a raw Burger you can f*** off back to Raleigh! Tonight!"

You: "Yes Chef".

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The only problem with burgers in cast iron skillets, is that it absolutely makes a greasy mess of your kitchen, especially the way one of my kids does it. I like the version of cutting up onions and mushrooms and frying them in butter, then placing the burgers in the frying pan with the mushrooms and onions, and covering it. Then after flipping, top with some more of the mushrooms and onions, and cheese, cover again until done. Absolute greasy, heart attack inducing, medium-rare perfection. The cover at least "somewhat" keeps the grease from getting everywhere, but it's still a mess.

My son starts with the onions and mushrooms, but then cooks individual extremely thin burgers and "smashes" them into the onions and mushrooms and only covers them at the last minute when they are cheesed. He then puts 2-3 of them on a bun when he eats them. They are also very good, but man, it just wrecks the kitchen.

I finally decided no more, so I bought a 2nd cast iron skillet at a thrift store and use it solely on the grill for burgers. Still makes a mess of the grill, but I just burn it off and it's fine.

I use a skillet on steaks as well. Lately, I've been using a Sous Vide to cook a steak to an exact medium-rare temperature, then taking it out of the bag and searing it in butter on the skillet. Makes a mess as well, but it's so good.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Count me in for wrecking the kitchen. I do smash burgers on the electric griddle. Quarter pound ball, salt the top with whatever sticks, and smash as thin as I can get it once it’s down. Flip after a min or two, cheese, and let the other side finish. Potato roll, mayo mustard pickles on the bottom bun. Sliding around the tile in my kitchen for the next day or so :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Have one, it helps a little, but by no means helps enough. First, it doesn’t stop all the grease. Secondly, you can’t have it on while you sauté onion and mushroom and either flip or smash the burger. It’s a mess no matter what

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Anyone here had Nashville Hot Chicken?

I'd like to try this recipe out, one problem though is Harris Teeter doesn't seem to sell lard. Anyone use another substitute for fried chicken in general?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I'd like to try this recipe out, one problem though is Harris Teeter doesn't seem to sell lard. Anyone use another substitute for fried chicken in general?

I’d substitute Food Lion for Harris Teeter.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

So I tried this tonight.

The good:
-It was delicious
-I got to use up some spices in the cabinet that I otherwise don't use often.
-The spices were not to their expiration dates yet.
-It's not as spicy as advertised IMO. The brown sugar helps balance it out. I don't mind spicy but I don't want my mouth to burn either.
-It's easy enough to cook/prepare (frying is a little tense for a first-timer like me, more below)
-Crisco is a good enough substitute for lard.

The bad:
-It's a mess to clean up
-Breading the chicken is also a mess.
-This was my first time frying chicken, so I was doing this apprehensively as to not splatter myself. As such, I probably could have done so on higher heat instead of low heat, thus not taking a while to fry. Also couldn't get a good grip on the chicken w/ the tongs at times.

Overall I would recommend this if you're one who cooks chicken often and are looking for something new. I would love to try Hattie B's in Nashville but first need to get to Nashville. For now though, doing this myself will do.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It was not as spicy as advertised because you didn’t make it as spicy as advertised.

Every piece of Hattie B’s chicken starts the same way, just naked fried chicken. Mild Medium Hot Damn Hot is then simply done by adding more spice on top, in the form of both more cayenne mixture and a higher concentration of cayenne. I think they may switch to some Ghost extract for Shut the Cluck Up.

I get “Hot” if I’m looking to enjoy my meal and “Damn Hot” if I’m looking for a challenge. Hot makes me sweat, Damn Hot makes me uncomfortable even the whole drive home. They also have no minimum amount of chicken per spice level, so if you get a 4 piece you could get each one a different level if you want.

If you ever go my pro tip is root beer float as your drink. Fat is a solvent for capsaicin. That’s why milk works. Ice cream is WAY more fat than your typical 4% whole milk, and it’s probably the best heat relief after a straight up glass of cream.

Also, you don’t need to make it to Nashville, we’ve got one in Atlanta now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad