OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

member 157595

Every time I eat anything fried from Chick-fil-A it’s much like eating a half jar of prunes. Still doesn’t stop me from ordering a spicy chicken sandwich now and again though.

I live in New England; good fast food fried chicken is rare unless I can find the occasional Popeye's that is decent (though obviously not "authentic" Popeye's nonetheless). No one here knows about Zaxby's or Bojangles or anything of the like. KFC is greasy tasteless garbage now. I was so excited when I finally found a Chik-Fill-A within driving distance because they do a pretty good job for the price you pay IMO.

Now if fried clams are your speed, then I live in paradise because we absolutely excel in that regard.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I live in New England; good fast food fried chicken is rare unless I can find the occasional Popeye's that is decent (though obviously not "authentic" Popeye's nonetheless). No one here knows about Zaxby's or Bojangles or anything of the like. KFC is greasy tasteless garbage now. I was so excited when I finally found a Chik-Fill-A within driving distance because they do a pretty good job for the price you pay IMO.

Now if fried clams are your speed, then I live in paradise because we absolutely excel in that regard.
I used to live up there. Definitely miss fried clams. And bacon and scallop pizza.

Reactions: DaveG

member 157595

I used to live up there. Definitely miss fried clams. And bacon and scallop pizza.

I'm neutral on scallop pizza. Scallops are probably my favorite food in existence when cooked perfectly but there is almost no margin of error with them so you have to get them done right.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah seafood on pizza aside from shrimp tends to be a big miss to me.

Speaking of I'd kill for a good New England style seafood place in the area. With all the people from there (myself included) that live in or make regular trips to the Triangle you'd think it would make a killing.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Speaking of I'd kill for a good New England style seafood place in the area. With all the people from there (myself included) that live in or make regular trips to the Triangle you'd think it would make a killing.

Just go to Saltbox, dude.

member 157595

I'm a transplant myself but where in NE are you from out of curiosity?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ok how the f*** am I just now finding out about this place?!

I'm a transplant myself but where in NE are you from out of curiosity?
North Shore area in Mass, and lived in northern NH for a few years before that. Moved out to the Finger Lakes area before winding up in NC.

member 157595

North Shore area in Mass

I don't live far from there.

and lived in northern NH for a few years before that.

Liar. No one lives in NH north of Concord except moose and human ATV's. It's pretty up there if you can tolerate the black flies and unpredictable weather.

Moved out to the Finger Lakes area before winding up in NC.

:laugh: I was born and raised in the Finger Lakes. Like, I was born inside a lake from a chance encounter between a polluted fish and a Jason Spezza giggle. Chad LaRose had diarrhea and was unavailable.

Reactions: vorbis and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah nothing up there aside from Cannon, Loon, and Bretton Woods.... Damn pretty though if you can survive the weather and Stephen King novel worthy levels of isolation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJerkBen

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
6e0f7270d6202b3457ec684c759310bd-full.jpg

Last edited:

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm of approximately 75% Italian descent and it kills me that I've never been to the motherland.

I'd come back weighing 400 pounds.
If you go, remember it's now forbidden to dress up as gladiator* in Rome.

* They say gladiator but possibly they meant centurio, and very explicitly what they mean are the guys who pester tourists to photograph themselves with the dressed-up guy. They also forbade men being shirtless, bar hopping and singing in public transportation... I think the shirtless prohibition should already cover for most types of gladiators.

No, they didn't specifically mention Brits anywhere.

They didn't really have to.

Reactions: OmniCube

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I'm of approximately 75% Italian descent and it kills me that I've never been to the motherland.

I'd come back weighing 400 pounds.

And the real tragedy is that you can't refuse to eat all that is put in front of you because you understand it from their reaction. I attended lunches that ended at dinner time and then had dinner.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Can I be an obnoxious and fussy person? Visually it is beautiful but the peaches should be peeled !!
But all the vitamins are in the peel!

... or is that the potatoes?

Damn but our culture would be so different had they never sailed to South Americas to bring us coffee and potatoes.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Can I be an obnoxious and fussy person? Visually it is beautiful but the peaches should be peeled !!

Not really for this recipe - the peaches macerate in a mix of sugar and lemon juice (and a little peach schnapps) so you don't really get that peach fuzz texture. That and baking softens up the skins to the point where the skins just keep the structural integrity of the peach slices on top and the peach bits in the cake.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Not really for this recipe - the peaches macerate in a mix of sugar and lemon juice (and a little peach schnapps) so you don't really get that peach fuzz texture. That and baking softens up the skins to the point where the skins just keep the structural integrity of the peach slices on top and the peach bits in the cake.

yes I get it but the fact that it can create problems, if it is a cake that lasts a few days, is precisely the peel because it takes on a strange taste and above all has a bitter aftertaste. Let's say then that the only case in which I could leave the peel is if the peaches are organic and I can only clean them with water because it is also a matter of how they are processed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->