OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Damn but our culture would be so different had they never sailed to South Americas to bring us coffee and potatoes.

Don't forget about tomatoes as well--neither gnocchi or marinara without the Inca, Mayan and Aztec...

Reactions: Lempo

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
hdhSCSu.jpg
giphy.gif

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Finally ate at The Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC yesterday. Easily the best eastern style nc bbq I’ve ever had. Can’t believe I waited that long to go.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nothing overly fancy or complicated here.

I got a Sous Vide immersion cooker a while back and have tried it out on a few things. Somethings it's great for, some, not so great. It is without a doubt the best way I've ever cooked salmon as it comes out perfectly cooked every single time. Chicken is ok in that it comes out perfectly cooked, but lacks flavor even if marinated. Last night I did NY strip steaks and it was spectacular.

Basically, I put salt and pepper on the steaks, put them in a ziplock bag, removed all the air and cooked them in the water at 130F for about an hour and a half. When there was about 5 minutes left, I fired up the grill and got it as hot as it would go, which was about 500-600F. Removed the steaks from the bags and then seared them on each side for 1 min. I've read people that pan sear them with butter in a cast iron frying pan, buy my wife didn't want me to get grease all over the cooktop and didn't want the smoke in the house. They were absolutely perfectly cooked, had a nice crust on them and were outstanding. I probably didn't need a full 1.5 hours in the water.

Granted, I can usually get just as good of a result by using a meat thermometer on a grill, but I was busy and couldn't spend time standing over a grill for very long so just setting it and forgetting it was a nice feature. The other nice thing is that the steak is medium-rare all the way through except for the crust.

steak1.png
steak2.png

Last edited:

member 157595

I've had good luck cooking steaks on my cast iron pans. I wouldn't recommend putting butter on a CI pan until the very end because if you're using CI pans to cook steak you really want to get that CI nuclear inferno hot before you put any meat on there so that it sears properly and doesn't stick.

I've never had good luck with gas grills, but charcoal gets nice and hot and makes great steaks.

EDIT: @Boom Boom Apathy I kind of want an immersion cooker now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I've had good luck cooking steaks on my cast iron pans. I wouldn't recommend putting butter on a CI pan until the very end because if you're using CI pans to cook steak you really want to get that CI nuclear inferno hot before you put any meat on there so that it sears properly and doesn't stick.

I've never had good luck with gas grills, but charcoal gets nice and hot and makes great steaks.

EDIT: @Boom Boom Apathy I kind of want an immersion cooker now.

I only bought the immersion cooker because at our Farm up north, we don't have a "real" kitchen, so we had to have some other methods of cooking that could be easily tucked away. A friend of my wife, who is a chef, told me about them. He said they used them all the time in a couple of places he worked.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A friend of mine who went full carnivore diet to combat some health issues, and therefore eats steak daily, swears by the reverse sear (oven at low heat to get to temp, then sear at the end), which I believe is thermodynamically similar to sous vide except with sous vide the fat doesn’t really render too well.

I've read it all depends on how long you leave it in for. If you leave it in for a short period of time, it won't render well at all. The longer you leave it in, the better. My wife's cousin said she took a cheap steak and cooked it in a sous vide for something like 24 hours and she said it had the tenderness of a Filet Mignon. That kind of defeats the purpose of the simplicity of a Sous Vide though.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've read it all depends on how long you leave it in for. If you leave it in for a short period of time, it won't render well at all. The longer you leave it in, the better. My wife's cousin said she took a cheap steak and cooked it in a sous vide for something like 24 hours and she said it had the tenderness of a Filet Mignon. That kind of defeats the purpose of the simplicity of a Sous Vide though.

Well - depends. If it’s as easy to set up as it seems, who cares how long you cook it.

Hell, I’m no food safety expert, but why not throw a week’s worth of dinner into a giant pot and just sear the steaks one meal at a time? As long as you’re ok with the immersion circulator humming away in the corner of your kitchen... :laugh:

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well - depends. If it’s as easy to set up as it seems, who cares how long you cook it.

My son made "toasted cream" in the Sous Vide that he then used for his White Russians. The cream was cooked in the Sous Vide for 30 hours and the problem is that at about 1AM, the Sous Vide alarm went off because too much of the water evaporated from the pot. I think you can get pots with covers though to minimize the evaporation, but he had to fill up the pot at least a half dozen times over the 30 hours. I think he had it at about 170 or 180 though.

Hell, I’m no food safety expert, but why not throw a week’s worth of dinner into a giant pot and just sear the steaks one meal at a time? As long as you’re ok with the immersion circulator humming away in the corner of your kitchen... :laugh:

I thought about that, but was told that really anything under ~140F is a concern for food borne illnesses and growth of bacteria if the food is kept there for more than a couple of hours.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My son made "toasted cream" in the Sous Vide that he then used for his White Russians. The cream was cooked in the Sous Vide for 30 hours and the problem is that at about 1AM, the Sous Vide alarm went off because too much of the water evaporated from the pot. I think you can get pots with covers though to minimize the evaporation, but he had to fill up the pot at least a half dozen times over the 30 hours. I think he had it at about 170 or 180 though

That is a very fancy sentence.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pea soup. I'm in the night shift, and work buddy decided to cook a soup for the whole gang.

This has more meat in it than an average Finnish sausage. I wish I had orange juice to wash it down.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Ginger ale and saltines. From the "Four Days of the Flu Weight Loss Diet" book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad