GDT: What? Your New Jersey Devils @ Arizona Coyotes, What? 9 PM, MSG+, What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We will see

You look at a handful of past matchups WAY too much with everything from teams to goalies. Sure sometimes there's carryover but sometimes it really is just coincidence, it's not gospel that we'll always play like **** in Arizona or win in Vegas cause we beat them the last couple times.

Besides, I get the philosophy of having the hotter goalie go the more winnable game and then throwing up a hail mary to get the backup some work with a far less winnable game on paper.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why? Why not give Blackwood a longer look?

I disagree big time on that. If there's one thing I think Hynes has always done well it's the way he's handled the goalies.

If he were like Pete, Cory would have played some games after he was benched last season, probably after that OT loss that Kinkaid had against the Pens and we would have likely missed the playoffs over it.

if not for kinkaid, we’d have a maclean-like point total right now and hynes would probably be out if a job. if kinkaid gets the start sunday, he will have gone 2 weeks without a start. get him back in there, he absolutely deserves it after he worked his ass off to keep our head above water.

hynes should’ve played the shit out of cory before (for reasons i already went through months ago) and now he should be rotating the goalies as a true 1A/1B. he’s clueless when it comes to goalies. i understand him overplaying kinkaid when cory was here, he was trying to keep his job. but that’s no longer a problem.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Zajac is so soft-spoken his little girls must fall asleep at the dinner table

I know I did listening to that interview!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You look at a handful of past matchups WAY too much with everything from teams to goalies. Sure sometimes there's carryover but sometimes it really is just coincidence, it's not gospel that we'll always play like **** in Arizona or win in Vegas cause we beat them the last couple times.

Besides, I get the philosophy of having the hotter goalie go the more winnable game and then throwing up a hail mary to get the backup some work with a far less winnable game on paper.

Zona is a bad matchup for us, I expect us to get smoked tonight with little puck possession.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if not for kinkaid, we’d have a maclean-like point total right now and hynes would probably be out if a job. if kinkaid gets the start sunday, he will have gone 2 weeks without a start. get him back in there, he absolutely deserves it after he worked his ass off to keep our head above water.

hynes should’ve played the **** out of cory before (for reasons i already went through months ago) and now he should be rotating the goalies as a true 1A/1B. he’s clueless when it comes to goalies. i understand him overplaying kinkaid when cory was here, he was trying to keep his job. but that’s no longer a problem.
Why does there even need to be a 1a/1b rotation? Why not just let one guy run with it until he gets bad? That's what he did with Keith, who also played so much because Cory was no competition to him and was downright unplayable.

Kinkaid is not part of the future (he could be as a backup beyond this year) and Blackwood might be.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why does there even need to be a 1a/1b rotation? Why not just let one guy run with it until he gets bad? That's what he did with Keith, who also played so much because Cory was no competition to him and was downright unplayable.

Kinkaid is not part of the future (he could be as a backup beyond this year) and Blackwood might be.

well besides what i said about kinkaid being the only reason the playoffs are possible, him earning the benefit of the doubt, preserving hynes’ job, etc, you’re not putting cory, kinkaid, anyone in a position to succeed by playing them twice a month. they need rhythm, they need consistency. unless you have a marty or lundqvist-like workhorse.

Reactions: bobilly45

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
After your call on Coleman (you liked him, no?) I'll trust you on Pietila :)
I am not making any call on him :). He's got good speed and he's defensively responsible but there probably isn't much else.

He has been good in the AHL this season and it's always good to see an AHL player get rewarded for their hard work

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
So am I.

He has been poor the majority of the season and only recently Hynes has got his usage right by pushing him down the lineup.
look at the game log and see if you see any drastic difference since when he's been listed as 3c to when he's been listed at 2c. His usage has been basically the same throughout the whole season. He comes out after Zajac's and Hischier's line most of the time -- even when they listed him as 2c. If anything his usage has gone up recently.
Pavel Zacha Stats and News

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Devils Dominion said he preferred KK, that's his right, who are you to try to make him out as a fool with you large print WUT. Please stop.
Lmao WUT? Who the heck are you telling me what I can say on here. Are you Devils Dominions mother? What a weird thing to say. :laugh: DD can defend himself, and he does that just fine.

He said he thought Kinkaid should have started, yes he has a right to say and think that and I have a right to say that is nuts because it is insane to sit a hot goalie on a dominant two game shutout streak.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't be too sure of kk not being part of the future... shero seems happy with his progress to a starter, and development overall.
Well see in the summer... though one of cory or kk won't be here,,,,,and I'm not sold on blackwood yet.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
well besides what i said about kinkaid being the only reason the playoffs are possible, him earning the benefit of the doubt, preserving hynes’ job, etc, you’re not putting cory, kinkaid, anyone in a position to succeed by playing them twice a month. they need rhythm, they need consistency. unless you have a marty or lundqvist-like workhorse.
As a goalie, it's 100% true. Esp since cory is a starter, and now kk is a starter.. they don't get better, and will regress if not given starts for weeks on end

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

I mean Keith isn't Cory. And Keith has played well enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It's crazy how people like to turn on players because of a couple of bad games when the whole team has been terrible in general. Blackwood played 3 games, he has played surprisingly very well, but to just turn your back on KK like that is a stupid move, and I think sends a terrible message to the locking room.

Reactions: MartyOwns

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I understand that we lock threads after 1000 posts here, but can that rule be relaxed for the live thread GDTs? That functionality is AWESOME for in-game posting.

Or, alternatively, can that functionality be added to new GDTs if the first one gets locked?

Emperoreddy successfully lobbied to make this happen. I should give him a raise :snide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad