Line Combos: What Would Your Lineup Look Like After The Recent Moves?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Rangers_rookies_only_bright_spot_in_loss_to_Devils.html

Tortorella used a question about J.T. Miller and Chris Kreider’s games to threaten changes.

“Absolutely,” Tortorella said when asked if he was pleased about how the speedy rookies played. “They’re probably going to take some people’s jobs. We have some guys that are really playing hard and we have guys that looked scared to me and tentative.”

Hot seat
Stepan
Boyle
Gaborik
Richards
Hagelin?
MDZ

Medium hot
Pyatt
Asham
Nash
Powe
Halpern
Lundqvist
Stralman
Gilroy

Doghouse
Ferriero (demoted already)
Mashinter (demoted before play)
Newbury (demoted)
Segal
Haley
Eminger
Rupp - yeah... for good in the cold of Minny

Safe for now
Miller
Kreider
Bickel (pet)
Biron
McD
Staal

Not yet aboard
Callahan (injured)
Hrivik (injured)
Girardi (injured)
Palmieri (not been looked at yet)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I really dont think anyone is going to "lose their joob" Torts is just trying to light a fire under their arses.

It looks like Kreider is about to get top 6 minutes. I think Miller will stay on the 3rd line but he did well. I hope they both keep it up for the future of the team. Once they start coming into their own the team could take off

Just go with this Torts. Then when Cally is back put him on the 2nd line istead of Hag

Kreider, Richards, Gaborik
Hagelin, Stepan, Nash
Boyle, Miller, Pyatt
Powe, Halpern, Asham

I must say on paper and I repeat on paper that looks pretty good especially with Cally back in a week( crossing fingers )

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Rangers_rookies_only_bright_spot_in_loss_to_Devils.html

Hot seat
Stepan
Boyle
Gaborik
Richards
Hagelin?
MDZ

Medium hot
Pyatt
Asham
Nash
Powe
Halpern
Lundqvist
Stralman
Gilroy

Doghouse
Ferriero (demoted already)
Mashinter (demoted before play)
Newbury (demoted)
Segal
Haley
Eminger
Rupp - yeah... for good in the cold of Minny

Safe for now
Miller
Kreider
Bickel (pet)
Biron
McD
Staal

Not yet aboard
Callahan (injured)
Hrivik (injured)
Girardi (injured)
Palmieri (not been looked at yet)

DZ looked bad for one game, has been our best defenseman the other 8 games. Can't see him there.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Alright, so here's my take when I'm not sleepy.

Hagelin-BRich-Gaborik (worked before, with nothing clicking right now, might as well give it a 2nd shot)
Kreider-Stepan-Nash (give Stepan the possibility to play with two big, skilled guys creating room, opening pass lanes before throwing him under the bus)
Pyatt-Miller-Callahan (pain in the ass to play agianst, good along the boards, strong defensively, can generate some offense; I want to see more of Miller though before putting him in a 3rd line role long term)
Asham/Powe-Halpern-Boyle (PKers, good defensively, key faceoff guys, but no offense)

Girardi-McD (looked better the last 3 or 4 games after a slow start, everyone here knows what they're capable of)
MDZ-Staal (shutdown guy plus PMD, have been the best pairing this season)
Stralman-Gilroy (Gilroy ... hasn't looked bad so far! Who would've thought! Stralman can play some shifts each game with one of the top 4 if you like. Should take care of 8-12 minutes each game, while providing some offense)

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012

Hagelin-BRich-Gaborik (worked before, with nothing clicking right now, might as well give it a 2nd shot)
Kreider-Stepan-Nash (give Stepan the possibility to play with two big, skilled guys creating room, opening pass lanes before throwing him under the bus)
Pyatt-Miller-Callahan (pain in the ass to play agianst, good along the boards, strong defensively, can generate some offense; I want to see more of Miller though before putting him in a 3rd line role long term)
Asham/Powe-Halpern-Boyle (PKers, good defensively, key faceoff guys, but no offense)

ha, I was thinking something just like this after last night. Put Hagelin back on the first line where his speed helps on both ends.

Nash looks like he's 30 lbs. overweight...he skates like he's pushing a wheelbarrow. You can't have him and Gaborik out together. Him with a couple quick defensively responsible players sounds better.

SupersonicMonkey*

I'll post this conversation here. Since it applies.

I was concerned about the long term implications of the Richards contract when we signed him, but that time is not now.

1. Richards was never a great skater, and he doesn't have to be.

2. As I can't say enough, The power play and Richards are synonymous. As the PP gets better, so will Richards.

3. He hasn't been shooting enough. This is, I think a product pf playing with Nash and Gaborik. Put Stepan between those two, he'll stay higher and tend to the defensive responsibilities. Put Richards with Callahan and Kreider/Hagelin, and give him a more free offensive reign. I know you guys have noticed Richards getting too deep with Nash and Gaborik, only for the puck to leave the zone for a 3 or 4 on 2 the other way.

4. Yes, his decision making has been poor. I can't argue with that. But age doesn't make you go senile at 32. I think that will come with time.

Look, I hope you are right. IF he is going to stick around he needs to be better.

He played well with Callahan last year. And he worked well with Hagelin, too, exploiting his speed. Those two can work down low and create space for Richards.

Gaborik played his best hockey last year with Stepan. Stepan and Gaborik need a guy who can work the boards as well. You are right about Stepan and Richards needing to be the high man. Pyatt can work the boards down low and create space for Gaborik and Stepan.

Keep Miller and Kreider together, they feed well off eachother. Give them Nash to open space for them.

And now you have a 4th line that can shut down another team's top unit.

Tortorella is also at fault here for having no effin clue how to adapt during a game.

Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Pyatt - Stepan - Gaborik
Kreider - Miller - Nash
Powe - Halpern - Boyle

Not indicative of ice time. Torts needs to use the whole bench.

Bold part: I should hope not lol.

Lundqvist 30 NY

Feb 8, 2012
NY
Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Miller-Pyatt
Boyle-Halpern-Asham/Powe

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Stralman-Gilroy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It really seems like Richards plays some of his best hockey with grinders or young players. Does anyone see that as well? In Dallas he had Benn and Eriksson who were both relatively young.

TB he always got the grinders to play with when VL and MSL played together.

He looked better with Kreider than he has with Gaborik or Nash.

Vickers8

Gaborik-Stepan-Cally
Pyatt-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Miller-Hagelin
Boyle-Powe-Halpern

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Stralman-Gilroy

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Girardi-McD (looked better the last 3 or 4 games after a slow start, everyone here knows what they're capable of)
MDZ-Staal (shutdown guy plus PMD, have been the best pairing this season)
Stralman-Gilroy (Gilroy ... hasn't looked bad so far! Who would've thought! Stralman can play some shifts each game with one of the top 4 if you like. Should take care of 8-12 minutes each game, while providing some offense)

Totally agreed with your lineup that you present here.

A QUESTION
If we were also to waive Eminger, would he get picked up?
I doubt it...
He could play a bit in CT, being ready as a callup there instead (no re-entry waivers)
And then call up Mashinter as a 4th liner used against teams carrying a legit heavy weight. Or is suicide Stu now seen as our heavy duty brawler? What do Orr Nightmare and Dagoon think about that ?? Maybe not the most vital issue - but it does carry some relevance IMO.

Dealing for a #6 D would also be an option needing to be explored within a couple weeks. Then possibly sending a 3rd, a prospect and one of Gilroy/Bickel/Eminger the other way (after seeing that Eminger clears - so we still have a spare D to recall.).

We would have Ferriero, Haley and Palmieri as reasonable callup options then too - if injuries were to show up (Hrivik/injured, Segal and Newbury too - as lesser alternatives). I think that shows the positive depth value in the 3 trades Sather recently has made.

Then at the deadline... well let´s wait and see what needs we are looking at then and how the team looks then. We will have played 37 games then (28 more than the 9 so far = 311% more than now) with 11 remaining on April 5... We should look into bringing over the Swedes and the Hobbit then too, if possible and necessary (say PP is still worst in the NHL).

Last edited:

Bardof425*

If Miller sticks I go with (when Cally is back)

Hags Richie Nash
Pyatt Stepan Gabby
Kreider Miller Cally
Powe/Boyle Halpern Asham

There is balance in those top three lines. All should be able to score some and defend. The 4th line will be expected to defend, play physical and PK. Nobody wants to hear this but if Miller sticks Boyle becomes the 13th forward. Asham is our only pugilist and needs to play every night and Powe is a better defensive forward than Boyle and a much better skater. Halpern and Boyle have the same role. Boyle is bigger, Halpern is faster and better with the puck. Whoever is winning more draws should play.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
If Miller sticks I go with (when Cally is back)

Hags Richie Nash
Pyatt Stepan Gabby
Kreider Miller Cally
Powe/Boyle Halpern Asham

There is balance in those top three lines. All should be able to score some and defend. The 4th line will be expected to defend, play physical and PK. Nobody wants to hear this but if Miller sticks Boyle becomes the 13th forward. Asham is our only pugilist and needs to play every night and Powe is a better defensive forward than Boyle and a much better skater. Halpern and Boyle have the same role. Boyle is bigger, Halpern is faster and better with the puck. Whoever is winning more draws should play.

This for sure. I could see switching or might even prefer switching Hags and Kreider. Miller, Cally and either of those two could be such a great 3rd line. I could see them forechecking well. If we are down maybe lean towards Kreider down on the third and Hags on the first. That way you have a finisher on 3 lines.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Miller-Gaborik
Pyatt-Stepan-Powe
Boyle-Halpern-Asham

When Cally gets back:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Miller-Gaborik
Pyatt-Stepan-Callahan
Boyle-Halpern-Powe
Asham

Spread things out a little. Get 3 solid lines IMO.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Hags-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Miller-Cally(When hes back, Boyle for now)
Powe-Halpern-Asham(Boyle when Cally is back)

Every line has speed and every line can play proper defense. The first line worked last year, give it a damn chance and stop frontloading our team. Its predictable and easy to matchup. Cant say the other lines will work, but at least each line is a little more competative and we have some speed again.

The third pairing is the only thing that matters because the other two, when healthy will not be changed. Should be Stralman and Gilroy. Bickel should be in the AHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh I was looking for this thread. I don't know why my thread couldn't be merged with this one instead of the mods deleting it! I just missed it.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Kreider- Richards - Gabby
Miller - Step - Nash
Hags - Powe - Pyatt
Asham - Boyle - Halpern

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Just gotta say that it is TERRIFIC that Boyle is now not even being considered for anywhere in the top-9 (even if just on here, where has been portrayed as such a great player by wayyyyyy too many people). For the longest time he has been a 4th line player, playing on the 3rd line, getting 2nd line minutes, but no one would want to hear it...he has been awful this year, and should be a staple on the 4th line--and get 4th line minutes, in addition to PK--from now own...

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
BroadwayBlues said:
Nash--Richards--Callahan
Hagelin--Stepan--Gaborik
Kreider--Miller--Pyatt
Boyle--Halpern--Powe

McD--Girardi
MDZ--Staal
Gilroy--Stralman

I like this. I like this a whole lot.

So do I. On the other hand I think Nash and Gaborik seem to find eachother well and that Richards is the one having trouble out there. I'd get Gabs back to RW though. Would go with:

Nash - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Boyle - Halpern - Powe

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I agree that pier balances the lines better since he's faster than rupo and if miller and Kreider do well the team will be in good shape. It allows a guy like gal perm to be a spare w calmly back soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad