Line Combos: What Would Your Lineup Look Like After The Recent Moves?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally (and it's early--so maybe this is premature) I don't think this team has as much attitude as last year's team--which isn't to say that Nash and Pyatt haven't been very good additions but losing Prust just for one has taken away some of this team's do or die spirit and that is not always easily replaceable. Prust made other teams answer for any liberties they took against his team.

Another problem--not so much the 4th liners is secondary scoring. Nash only has one goal so far but he's been apparent in every game and it's only a matter of time before he starts lighting more lamps. OTOH Callahan, Stepan, Boyle, Hagelin are not only not scoring much--they're not getting that many good chances. Offensively speaking they have been more invisible than visible. They're all capable of more and if this team is going to be a real contender they are going to have to produce more. It's early yet--still players have to find roles and some roles are much different than others. There are other variables than just talent. A mixture of different elements go into making a really good hockey team. I'm not altogether convinced right now that this is a really good hockey team.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
You know, if Cally and Step find some chemistry, this team will look a whole lot better.

Right now, our offense comes from a single line.

Ace2008

Jun 28, 2006
Whether or not CK foot problems were hampering his performance in his 3 appearances is debatable . I'm not sure if the club has specified of will specify when the injury happened . But honestly , can you honestly say in those 3 games CK at any point looked like any kind of offensive threat ? I wish he did I love this kids frame , speed , his quick release of his shot . What I'm not sold on his his stick handling , play away from the puck , confidence with the puck and situational awareness . If this was going on game 6 of a full season the pressure for him to perform would be much less . He is under a giant microscope in this shortened season and the NYR team and management and coaching does not have the luxury of putting a not NHL READY player on the ice . As for him playing with scrubs , the CT WHALE , system and management's intention is to play a similar style to the parent club so it can teach Torts system to all of its prospects . I think one of CK problems so far as been his ability to grasp playing the style of hockey away from the puck at the pro level . Every shift this short season I looks like he has one eye on the puck and one looking back at the bench waiting to see if be did something wrong . The game is not intuitive to him right now .

During PO last year they said keep it simple skate hard and fast and shoot . He looked good . Now he looks lost and searching for the game . It's going to take time , and this season there is none to spare .

absolutely right...and Kreider was playing with Brad and Marian which made things simpler.

Play Kreider in "Nash" Lw role

and play stepan with Nash. The Rw could be pyatt/ nash, or Hagelin or even callahan

but keep the focus on 2 dangerous lines and then try to find a good chemistry for boyle who looks completely forgotten right now. the Boyle was leading one of the best 4th lines last season and so far looks like he's all alone. Get 2 gritty speedsters like Ferriero and maybe another bigger bodied speedster to make up for his lack of acceleration and line #4 starts looking like a weapon again...As for #3 Hagelin-Halpern-Gilroy...speed and puck control == eventual breakaway's and drawing penalties.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
With Callahan out we need to break up the first line to get any semblance of scoring depth.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Pyatt-Stepan-Nash
Ferriero-Boyle-Asham
Rupp-Halpern-Callup (Mashinter?)

I'd also like to get Gilroy in for Bickel to help the transition game.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Strålman
Staal-Gilroy

Dorado*

PYatt Richards Nash
Kreider ( if healthy ) Step Gaby
Hagelin BB FEREIRO
RUPP HALPERN AA

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
So have we decided what we are calling the Gaborik-Richards-Nash line yet?

Earth, Wind, and Fire doesn't really mean anything... any good line could be called that.

Marian Gaborik - 10 - Slovakia
Brad Richards - 19 - Canada
Rick Nash - 61 - Canada

Ideas, people! This is the most important thing we will do this year.

How about the GReeN/Money line? Letters line up... and they're being paid over $22 mill.

zelrio*

I always hated that one of the best goalies to ever put on a mask has had to carry his team to the playoffs every year (bar one), with little chance at the Cup (bar one), since the lockout. If this season is more of the same because Torts loves Sullivan and hates players who can score goals and work hard, then I will be slightly upset.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not sure if this has been proposed by anyone else, but given the desire/need to spread the wealth a little bit, why not keep Gaborik and Nash together and move Richards to a different line to try to get some other guys going? It's been super noticeable in the game tonight that Nash and Gabby have great chemistry, so why not keep them together? Stepan could succeed in between those two given a little more time and space. Thoughts?

Kershaw

Not sure if this has been proposed by anyone else, but given the desire/need to spread the wealth a little bit, why not keep Gaborik and Nash together and move Richards to a different line to try to get some other guys going? It's been super noticeable in the game tonight that Nash and Gabby have great chemistry, so why not keep them together? Stepan could succeed in between those two given a little more time and space. Thoughts?

Richards would have no scorers to work with. Don't like this idea.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
With Kreider coming back soon and Cally about a week away, I'm looking forward to the rest of February. I think Kreider comes back rejuvenated after having time watching from the press box. Given that it looks like Torts is sticking with the big 3 top line and the recent play of the new Stepan line, here's what I would roll with:

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Kreider - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp/Asham - Halpern - Ferreiro

On D keep rotating Gilroy/Eminger in 6th spot depending on who's playing better.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so did they play Boyle, Halpern , Asham last night.? missed the game......was it Halpern at C?

I would likely put Kreider instead of Asham next game. So Ferrerio was C on the 4th line?

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I wouldn't get too excited about what we saw out of the 2nd/3rd lines in Tampa, they're not exactly a defensive juggernaut. A few points.

1. I think the top line should be split up, because Nash can make things happen on his own.

2. Very happy with what I've been seeing out of Hagelin.

3. Kreider can not be put on the 4th line.

4. Enough with Callahan being dropped. The man is a 30 goal scorer. He needs opportunities and ice time.

I'd roll out with this once Cally gets back.

1A: Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
1B: Callahan - Stepan - Nash
3rd: Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
4th: Asham - Halpern - Ferrerio

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Everyone healty:

Gaborik- Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
Powe - Halpern - Asham
Ferrerio

Or:
Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Boyle/Kreider - Halpern - Callahan
Kreider/Boyle - Powe -Asham
Ferrerio

Play Ferriero when we play softer teams, get Asham (and Bickel) in there against the likes of Boston.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well, if Miller and Mash are both here to play, and Boyle sticks on the wing...

Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Boyle - Miller - Powe
Mash - Halpern - Asham

:dunno:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So if I do the simple math this means Rupp gondie, Ferrierio down.......Miller, Mashinter , Powe up.........we had 3 spares so Cally IR or Kreider down officially?

As for the lines i'm pretty pumpled. I think Torts goes with the below next game but I think the top line should be broken up soon

Nash, Richards, Gaborik
Hagelin, Stepan, Pyatt
Boyle, Miller, Powe
Mashinter, Halpern, Asham

boy oh boy do I hope JT Miller can stick. Some say he's not ready but let's see what the kid can do

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So if I do the simple math this means Rupp gondie, Ferrierio down.......Miller, Mashinter , Powe up.........we had 3 spares so Cally IR or Kreider down officially?

As for the lines i'm pretty pumpled. I think Torts goes with the below next game but I think the top line should be broken up soon

Nash, Richards, Gaborik
Hagelin, Stepan, Pyatt
Boyle, Miller, Powe

boy oh boy do I hope JT Miller can stick. Some say he's not ready but let's see what the kid can do

Great minds think alike ;)

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Now
Nash, Richards, Gaborik
Hagelin, Stepan, Pyatt
Boyle, Miller, Powe

Later
Nash, Richards, Gaborik
Hagelin/Kreider, Stepan, Pyatt
Kreider/Hagelin , Miller (if he sticks)/Boyle, Callahan
Mashinter/Powe, Boyle/Halpern , Asham

YES!

Now just find a #6 D with some meanness for a 3rd pick + prospect

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Still dont think Miller is a center at this point.

Think its more like

bottom 6:

Powe, Boyle/Halpern, Asham
Miller, Halpern/Boyle, Masher

Or

Powe, Boyle/Halpern, Miller
Asham, Halpern/Boyle, Masher.

Last edited:

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
No. No. No. Miller could be a hell of center. Develop him in that spot and get Boyle to the wing where he belongs.

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Callahan - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Boyle - Halpern - Powe

Lovin' the look of this lineup all the sudden.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
No. No. No. Miller could be a hell of center.

Could and is are not the same thing. They dont have the season right now to play someone at a position where they are not NHL quality.

While on the rangers he will be a wing, in the AHL where they have time to develop him, he can play center.

Even at WJC he was a decent, but not top center.

Miller + Kreider would be about as bad as possible defensively.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My guess:

Pyatt - Stepan - Hagelin
Boyle - Halpern - Powe
Mashinter -Miller - Asham

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Del Zotto
Gilroy - Stralman

Ad